Hart E-drums...

S

spikeithard

Hey my buddy is selling is Hart drums. He paid 1300 US and has used them only about 4 hours total he said. willing to sell them to me for 600 canadian.

are these good? Im not sure what model they are but if they are 1300 new then they should be pretty good?! They have mesh style pads apparently.

thanks

I don't think anyone here will be able to help you much without more information. Over the years, Hart has sold a number of different pad types and combinations, some of which have been better than others (especially in the case of cymbals). Let us know which series drums and cymbals you are talking about, and what exactly is included, and we might possibly be able to contribute.

Having said that: I've been a very happy Hart customer since 1997, and my kit (roughly equivalent to the current Mega Pro series) has held up very well. So there are certainly worse ways to go...

I have a Hart Pro 6.4 TE set with a Roland TD20 module and I love the thing.Very sturdy, reliable, great feeling and playing set, infinintly configurable. Only downside is, like most e-kits, it is a royal PITA to tear down, move and set up. I may get a second kit, acoustic for playing out and use the Hart set for recording (what it is being used for now).

Setup and teardown can be made nearly as easy as acoustics, believe it or not, but some work has to be put in to make it happen. The biggest single thing you can do for yourself once you settle on a configuration is to harness your cables: see my post here ( http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1028517&postcount=4 ) for a picture of how my kit looked a couple of years ago, before I moved the hat from 10:00 to 12:00 and changed to brass cymbals. The second thing you can do is put memorylocks *everywhere*, and labeling everything, of course. And the last thing (that few people think to do) is to replace the wingnuts for the fixed (rack-side) portion of all the rack clamps with nylock nuts. This prevents "helpful people" from undoing all your setup work when they are helping you strike at the end of the set. The mantra is "everything with a wingnut comes apart": nothing else does. Carry a tee-handle socket wrench with the right size socket for the nylocks, in case you need to tweek a bit- but don't let your helpers see it!

At this point, I can set up and tear down that kit in the same time as my acoustics: but it sure does pack a lot smaller.... (;-)

He hasnt gotten back to me yet on the model of the kit.

But all I know it was about 1300 US about 6 years ago. I played it once just after he got it and from I remember it was pretty nice. I like that it has the mesh pads and not rubber. from what I understand the mesh is way superior to the rubber??

basically what I was looking for on here is if Hart in general is a good brand? quality?
The music stores in my city (in Canada) have never heard of Hart and they are deeply involved in drumming world apparently!? lol

I would think a new price tag of 1300 US 6 years ago is about the equivalent of roughly 1600 canadian these days. thats right almost in the price range of some of the nicer rolands I played with yesterday at the stores. I played a Roland TD-15 and it was SICK.

thanks

ok just got back to me...

his text was this:

the brain is alisis or something spelling close to that...pad is black mesh, probably ten year old model.

maybe that will give more clues?

Well, are the pad shells hammered metal (Pro series), or sort of teardrop-shaped molded plastic with an octagonal back (Acupad)? The Pro series look more like a regular drum, whereas the Acupad celebrates its non-drumness... I'll bet they are the latter, and then the question becomes whether they are single or dual-zone.

Have a look at http://www.hartdynamics.com/products.html to see examples of the pad types.

Are the heads black mesh or white mesh?

And are the cymbals bronze metal, gold plated cymbal-shaped plastic, black cymbal-shaped plastic, or somewhat triangular futuristic black plastic?

Lastly, are the rack clamps plastic or metal?

If you look at the old picture of my Hart kit from http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1028517&postcount=4 , you'll see what is now a 15-year-old kit roughly equivalent to the current Giga Pro: old black mesh-headed Acupad toms and kick, newer white mesh-headed Pro series snare (upgraded later), all metal rack clamps, and the relatively ancient Ecymbal X "futuristic" cymbal pads. IMHO, those cymbal pads are somewhat dated, but still function marginally better than the black plastic and gold plated plastic Hart cymbal-shaped triggers that followed them.

The most recent bronze cymbal triggers are arguably the best of the lot, at least in my opinion, but they did bring a premium in price.

I bought this kit back when the mesh heads were still fairly new- prior to that the Acupad kits came with regular drum heads. I haven't had to change heads on the toms since I changed when they came out with the dual layer black mesh. Those heads in the picture (about 4 years old now) are still there today, going strong.

If it has an Alesis module, it is probably the DM5, but it might be the DM Pro.

If you played them in the past, maybe some of these details stuck with you. Does any of this ring any bells? So $600 CDN might be a reasonable price, but you really need to know details of what you are getting to do that analysis. As an example, there is a minimalist 6 or 7-year-old Hart/Alesis Acupad kit with an Alesis DM Pro module and a few Ecymbal X cymbal triggers on Ebay right now with a $399US buy-it-now... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-dm-p...ultDomain_0&hash=item484671be54#ht_846wt_1343

In any case, mesh heads are arguably a huge improvement over rubber. And I believe that Hart makes a very strong and reliable product. I came to them after killing a lot of the early Roland rubber hardware, and have stayed with them all this time, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
ok its the MD5 for sure.

black mesh pads...

the cymbals are round black with grey triangle hit area piece...
the pads are not octagon..

high hat is thick rubber pad....

----------------------

I also found a Roland td-4KX (all white mesh pads) kit thats a year old for 800 bucks today.. said he bought it for 1850 canadian new a year ago and is still in 'like new' shape. he has the receipts to prove it apparently.. Im leaning towards the rolands of course.

picture is below of the rolands. take note of the pad condition. let me know if 800 seems steep or a good price. Im going to look at it friday night.
My buddies Hart kit I will check out saturday if I dont like the Roland kit tomorrow night.

your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

$T2eC16hHJF8E9nnC9dFyBQIvrw5(HQ~~48_20.JPG

Last edited:
I cant tell but are these rolands above a TD-4kx2?? the 2 has the mesh pads the older 4kx only has rubber pads?
this is the difference?

thanks

I'll have to defer to someone else on the Roland gear: I'm not familiar with their current offerings. I stopped looking at their pads after breaking my second or third pad on a TD7 kit years ago- and I haven't actually set foot in a music store in years now...

I cant tell but are these rolands above a TD-4kx2?? the 2 has the mesh pads the older 4kx only has rubber pads?
this is the difference?

thanks

They are almost the same. The model with a 2 on the end has a slightly improved kick pad and slightly improved cymbals. My last kit was a TD-4KX and it wasn't too bad. The TD-4KX2 replaced the TD-4KX but not for long because soon after that the 11 series replaced the 4 series.

I think the X means the three toms are mesh as opposed to rubber.

ok ya I got the KX2 set for 800. got them all set up now but no headphones or amp to play it on :( such a tease haha

without starting a new thread for this, what are the best headphones to use and bass amp? Im in a moderate size apartment style condo so nice is a bit of a concern... 15 watt bass amp be perfect? what about my LG sound bar I use for my bluray and TV/music. It has a floor subwoofer. I dont need loud just a warmth in the sound..

and for headphones, no need for top end ones but just a decent 50 dollar pair suffice?

thanks

Last edited:
Back