DW 9002 slave pedal response

onemic

I've recently been trying to practice my double techniques with my 9002's I got last summer, but I've found that the slave pedals response is a whole lot more sluggish than the master pedal. I thought that maybe it was simply my left foot being weaker than my right, but after trying the slave with my right, it definitely feels more sluggish and harder to push out doubles and triplets(triplets especially) in a clean and accurate manner. I've heard that this is supposedly normal for slave pedals, but is there any way at all that this response can be tightened so that it is more identical to the response of the master pedal? Do all double pedal players simply get used to the sluggishness? As right now it seems it will take me quite a while to get a decent sounding doubles going with this slave pedal...

I am used to the sluggishness. I have heard the Axis universal link helps. The Demon Drive is a bit better as is the Giant Step, but so far no one is totally seamless.

Additionally, I think you'll be surprised how good the slave pedal actually is. For giggles, set up your kit with the bass drum off to the side so your main foot is playing the slave pedal. See if you are still able to play what you are used to playing.

I always blame my weak foot over the pedal.

I think it's the case with all double pedals that there's a bit of sluggishness in the slave pedal.

The best way to make your slave pedal act like your main pedal is keep the linker bar as short as possible and keep you're slave pedal as close to 90 degrees as possible to the linker bar. I have the same pedals as you and noticed the same problem in the past and realised that it was because my slave pedal was at about a 45 degree angle.

Try this:
Setup your slave pedal so the linker bar is at 90 degrees to it.
Press down on the slave pedal and feel the response.
Now angle your slave pedal in towards you and feel the difference.
A short and straight linker bar and straight slave pedal DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY helps!

I just drew this picture in Paint to explain what I mean...set them up like A

Attachments

• pedals.JPG
    pedals.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 774
I think it's the case with all double pedals that there's a bit of sluggishness in the slave pedal.

The best way to make your slave pedal act like your main pedal is keep the linker bar as short as possible and keep you're slave pedal as close to 90 degrees as possible to the linker bar. I have the same pedals as you and noticed the same problem in the past and realised that it was because my slave pedal was at about a 45 degree angle.

Try this:
Setup your slave pedal so the linker bar is at 90 degrees to it.
Press down on the slave pedal and feel the response.
Now angle your slave pedal in towards you and feel the difference.
A short and straight linker bar and straight slave pedal DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY helps!

I just drew this picture in Paint to explain what I mean...set them up like A

WOW, tried it out and it worked like a charm! the sluggishness has reduced significantly since I reduced the length of the driveshaft. There is also a clear improvement when having the shaft 90 degrees compared to when on an angle. Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it!

Back