Better than the original

The only one that comes to mind, and I'll probably get flak for it, is Dream Theater's cover of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers. Done with a 7-string guitar, a bit faster, and there's loads more energy.

I have to agree there.

Most Dream Theater covers aren't very good, but that was one they not only nailed, but improved upon.

I REALLY liked Joe Coker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends more than The Beatles version. I also like Manfred Mann's version of Mighty Quinn more than Bob Dylan's original.

I REALLY liked Joe Coker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends more than The Beatles version.

Joe Cocker did the best covers ever! He does a version of The Band's, "The Weight" where it almost sounds like he belts out a lung.

Joe Cocker did the best covers ever! He does a version of The Band's, "The Weight" where it almost sounds like he belts out a lung.

She Came in Through the Bathroom Window too. I think it was the combo of Joe and Leon Russell's arrangements - every cover I've heard of their was a winner. Much preferred their version of The Letter to the original.

Just yesterday I heard a remake of Toto's Africa, and almost threw up. They totally destroyed the feel of the original, including the African rhythm.

Here are some songs I like the remake better:

Frampton's Signed Sealed Delivered over Wonder's, even though that is a classic too.

Elton John's version of Pinball Wizard over The Who's, and by a mile.

Beatles version of Twist and Shout over Isley Bros.

I wish I had time to check all of these out. Unfortunately my internet connection is so slow that I can hardly use YouTube at all. Everything takes forever to load.

Back