Hal Blaine

JRannefeld

I had a phone conversation with Hal Blaine last week!!

Here's my story:

I recently started taking some lessons from Austin, TX drummer Ernie Durawa (Texas Tornadoes). Ernie studied with the legendary Roy C. Knapp when Roy was in his late 80's. Roy taught many greats, including Gene Krupa, Louie Bellson, Dave Tough and Hal Blaine.

On one of my first visits with Ernie, he started talking about Hal and mentioned that Hal sends him birthday cards every year. Ernie says to me, "We should try to call Hal sometime." Now, I knew who Hal was and I was aware of his accomplishments, but I didn't know much about the man himself. Honestly, I didn't even know he was still alive (he's 82, now). With the prospect of possibly speaking with Hal on the phone, I decided I should do some research. I read his biography and read several stories and interviews about/with Hal and others in the Wrecking Crew. Amazing what those guys were able to accomplish as studio musicians....

At my next lesson, Ernie pulled out his cellphone and called Hal's cellphone and home phone. No answer....Ernie left a message and we went about our business. The next week, Hal called Ernie back and apologized for missing his call, and said he'd be waiting for us to call him back at my next lesson!

Sure enough, Ernie called him back at my next lesson and Hal picked up. They chatted for a brief moment and then Ernie passed his phone over to me. After thanking for taking the time to speak with me, I started asking a few questions. We talked a little about Earl Palmer, Hal's time in the Army and his experience studying with Roy Knapp. We also talked a little about the Wrecking Crew documentary that is still trying to obtain funding to pay $300,000 in music licensing fees.

Hal was very gracious and it was quite an honor to get to speak with him. At the end of our conversation, his advice to me was to practice, and stay away from those people with the "wacky tobaccky". LOL...

I didn't see a Hal Blaine thread in the Drummers section. It's about time we start one!

Attachments

• Hal-Resized.JPG
    Hal-Resized.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 909
I read up on Hal Blaine and I couldn't believe the body of work he had amassed. I don't see how any drummer could accomplish what he did.

A little surprising that Hal doesn't get more attention. He's an amazing musician and I would daresay that anybody who plays in a classic rock cover band has at least several tunes that Hal played on in their repertoire.

Today I was listening to some classic rock stuff and the drum part from "Wedding Bell Blues" by the 5th Dimension jumped out at me. Checked it out and sure enough it was Hal on drums. Cool laid back feel but such confidence and power especially when the horn ensemble comes in. Great track.

Hal gets plenty of attention, it just depends where you look. He's probably more visible now than in the last few decades, thanks to the Wrecking Crew documentary, his book, the new Wrecking Crew book, and various awards he's been given lately.

I'm proud to call Hal a friend, and even before I knew I was listening to him on hit records, he was also my mentor. When I'm not applying my WWRD approach to songs, it's WWHD. Just had lunch with him a few weeks ago:

haljbs3.jpg

:)

I read up on Hal Blaine and I couldn't believe the body of work he had amassed. I don't see how any drummer could accomplish what he did.

Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon (his protege) and Gary Chester...those three are in my top 20 all-time. Half of the top 10 hits of the 1950s - 70s were drummed by those three (sarcasm but a large amount)

Looking at all the songs Hal played on, I didn't realize how heavily I was influenced by him until about 2 weeks ago.... (when I saw his list of credits for the first time) The list of songs he played on is literally the soundtrack to my youth. He played on so many diverse songs, but I never had a clue it was the same man. Truly, a living legend.

I cannot believe that Hal Blaine is now 87 years young. His list of accomplishments are 2nd to none.

Nobody in music has been the Drummer, let alone any musician, on 6 consecutive "Song of the Year" Grammy Award Winners. Wow !!

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass in 1966 for "A Taste of Honey";
Frank Sinatra in 1967 for "Strangers in the Night";
The 5th Dimension in 1968 for "Up, Up and Away";
Simon & Garfunkel in 1969 for "Mrs. Robinson";
The 5th Dimension in 1970 for "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In"; and
Simon & Garfunkel in 1971 for "Bridge over Troubled Water".

Great to see this thread…...

Just saw Hal a month ago or so for a late birthday lunch. He still drives, he's still funny, and he still looks pretty good at 87!

Attachments

• hal_lunch_2016.jpg
    hal_lunch_2016.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 314
I had the pleasure of meeting Hal Blaine a few years ago at Donn Bennett's shop when I lived in Seattle. Hal gave a clinic there that turned into part storytelling, part stand-up act. The guy is really funny.

I got to speak with him for a while after the clinic and he could not have been more gracious.

An interesting note that Donn told a few of us once was that he went down to Hal's place and they were waiting to pick up Hal's car from this mechanic shop. This place had on of those Muzak deals playing overhead in the waiting area. It was playing a bunch of tunes from the the 60's. Some of us call them "oldies"... It didn't take long for them to both notice that during the waiting period, EVERY song that played had Hal Blaine on the drums.

Just please tell me he still has a drum kit set up in his house somewhere and still plays. Man what a talent. He looks to be in good health at 87!!!!!

He doesn't play much anymore, although he cut a few jazz tracks this week with Don Randi. :)

Bermuda

Hal is one of the all time great drummers. Sad both he and the Wrecking Crew will never fully get the recognition they deserve. Only real fans of music are aware of the contribution they made towards the music we know and love today. I personally can never hear 'Be My Baby' without thinking how great Hal was. One thing is for sure, no one will ever be on as many hits as he was.

Thanks for posting those pics Bermuda, its great to see him well and smiling.

If you like Hal Blaine, you'll love this video.

I'd always admired his work but didn't have the "list" of what he played on in this detail, a video montage "that only contains about half of his Top 10 hits -- and even so it runs more than 11 minutes."

https://youtu.be/hp1FBfjH60g

Thanks for sharing. Hal just had that knack for laying down greatness in track after track. Can't get enough of it!

"Hal..go man. Here we go. Play hard and strong all the way"

Absolutely amazing. Played on 35, 000 tracks! Watching that video makes me realise that almost every song I liked and drummed along to in my bedroom as a kid happened to have Hal on drums, he's like the drumming soundtrack to my life. Makes you wonder how much or how little session work was left for other drummers of the time since Hal clearly had the lion's share.

Always wondered who played Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Now I know.

Surprised me that he played 'Close To You' as Karen was an amazing drummer. I wonder why she didn't record it because presumably she recorded other Carpenters songs. Also surprised thst he recorded with Herb Albert as Herb had his own very good drummer.

At 6.31 camera scans slowly above a blue Ludwig kit and you see some of the word Hollywood in big letters. I'm surprised it didn't say Hallywood.

At 8:14, the actor Lorne Greene sings "And late that night I saved the life of Ringo". I suspect he meant he asked Hal Blaine to record Beatles drum parts. :D

What an absolute legend.

Wonderful compilation....spoiled by FOUR minutes of the "Three's Company" theme song!!! Almost barfed.....lol.

Other than that-what a career!

What a list, but 1 mistake in that clip (Wichita Lineman is Jim Gordon on drums).

Just love watching these things on Hal. I came across this the other day, the master at work, seeing how a track improves with his efforts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR2vWlOG8ms
They are doing several takes to Mr Tambourine Man, Hal playing different takes asked by the producer, improving on each one.
Skip to 10:35 for the real kicker. The producer asks Hal for a "just a hair slower" ....Hal jokes, then proceeds to play it perfectly...and "just a hair slower".

Last edited:
If you haven't heard or read it before, this is one of my favorite Hal Blaine interviews:
http://www.npr.org/2015/03/13/392780627/drummer-hal-blaine-talks-about-making-music-over-the-years

Talks about working with the Beach Boys, Sinatra, Phil Spector, etc.

Loved learning about the "Be My Baby" and "A Taste of Honey" parts:

GROSS: Now, is the opening on "Be My Baby" - was that drum line your idea?

BLAINE: You know, this was the beginnings of rock 'n' roll. Somehow, with my experience, I keep thinking that I was an awfully good faker. And it could be that the lick went (imitating "Be My Baby" opening drum beat) with a backbeat (imitating "Be My Baby" backbeat). And at one point, while we were rolling, I may have missed the second beat. So we went (imitating "Be My Baby" opening drumbeat) and it stuck. It became a hook and, of course, one of the most famous hooks in rock 'n' roll.

That also happened to me - just to get off the beaten track - it also happened to me with the Tijuana Brass when we did "A Taste Of Honey." The song (humming "A Taste A Honey" hook) and everybody comes in (imitating "A Taste Of Honey" hook) - well, unfortunately, nobody was coming in together. It was like a train wreck. So at one point, me in my comedic mind, they went (humming "A Taste Of Honey" hook). And I looked at the band, and I started slugging with my bass drum (imitating bass drumbeat). Everybody came in. And once again, that became a major hook for that song. It happened to be my first record of the year.

Back