Name that rhythm

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I love all the terminology that goes with drums and music. Making a thread that names all the beats/rhythms we can think of would be a pretty cool resource.

It would also raise some good discussion I bet.

I'll start off with a rhythm that I don't know a lot about, the Boogaloo beat. My initial thought that this is the beat that Gene Krupa used on "Sing Sing Sing". You know that jungle tom thing. Only I'm not sure if that is Boogaloo. I had this discussion with my band leader and he was stumped. He seems to think it is the beat on that song "Boogaloo on Broadway", which is nothing like a jungle tom thing. So I really don't know what the Boogaloo beat is supposed to sound like. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd love to see this as a thread that names, outlines, goes into the history of, and maybe even posts examples of all the different rhythms that we as drummers should be aware of.

Anybody want to play?

Great thread idea, Larry. Bo did a nice piece on different rhythms every drummer should know a while back. Things like bossa nova and such. I think he even demonstrated how to play each groove.

I think you should lead the way with an essay on various blues shuffles. There always seems to be disagreement about what each variation is actually called.

I don't have the time right this second Lar, gotta go to work, but I will later on.

I must have missed Bo's thread.

I am envisioning a thread naming about a hundred or more different rhythms, with some background info if possible.

So name a rhythm, perhaps point to it in a popular song, and if you have any other pertinent info about your rhythm(s), enlighten us all.

I hear tons of inspiring rhythms all the time. I'm not sure many of them have names as such. of course, many do, it's just that I'm ignorant in that department :(

Our artist George Cook constantly surprises & pleases me with his rhythm repertoire. Not stuff I've heard elsewhere, & certainly with his flavour all over them. Maybe they've been done before, maybe not, maybe just adjusted and adapted. Sorry, I'm a pretty useless resource in this thread :(

Edit: example - http://youtu.be/eQQwo_bv_N4?t=1m14s

The first time I heard "Boogaloo" was, (I'm hesitant to say) on Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz it". Then later on as an adult looked it up. :> Am I the only one?

I want to know the name, slang or official, for the high hat thing .... xxX xxX xxX xxX..... with the HH opening briefly on the capital X

And, for my contribution, I will add The Charlie Watts skip the 3 and 7 HH. We can call it the noh3/7...or maybe the JBL (just being lazy)? It's not really a beat, but it's a thing.

I had been playing it forever and didn't know it was a thing until the internet informed me.

I want to know the name, slang or official, for the high hat thing .... xxX xxX xxX xxX..... with the HH opening briefly on the capital X

Haha, Tommy Igoe calls this "pea pea soup", expanding on his "pea soup" explanation for the sound of disco hats.

I would like to add the Bossa Nova drum beat to this, think "Girl from Ipanema"
http://youtu.be/SROlcFnq-Do

Love this beat.

Money Beat (think Bille Jean)
Four-on-the-Floor
Bolero Beat (the Cream intro to White Room)
Jezebel Beat (...nah juts kiddin' on that one)

in a couple big bands I worked with .... when half timing an ending ... ya know, kinda "bringin' it home" swinging hard and crashing with a snare on 2 & 4 with sort of a NY/NY feel ending ...."its up to you (crash) , new (crash) york..." ....they would call it .... the strip ... or the strip beat.

Money Beat (think Bille Jean)
Also in the original of Knock on Wood

I've been doing a bunch of 60s soul beats lately, studying the likes of Al Jackson, Carl Cunningham. There's:

* Motown beat (I play it 4 on the floor plus 8ths)
* All 8ths on the BD (bits of Soul Man, Road Runner)
* 4 on the floor (I can't turn you loose - or at least I play it that way)
* What became a standard rock beat - bum-ch-bumbum-ch (Midnight Hour)
* Then a bunch of variants of what I just call "the soul beat" - bum-ch-bumbum-ch-bum - that can have added snare ghost (Hold on I'm coming), added hat lift (Mustang Sally) or as-is (Harlem Shuffle)

Larry, an annoying friend of mine started a thread exactly like this about 5 years ago :) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128

Completely forgot about this, and you're right, your friend is annoying lol. When I did this thread, I wondered if I had done it before, but it was actually you. It sounded familiar and I was just waiting to get busted by someone.

Still, you have to admit, that by all counts, my thread is better than yours :p.

Great thread idea, Larry! How about New Orleans Funk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 340
how about the swing/straight groove

a la DJ Fontana with Elvis or Earl Palmer with Little Richard

You mean where the beat is like straight kick but swung (or shuffled?) ride or hi hat or bass drum hoop?

I remember reading somewhere once that the "swung" part of the beat was what put the "roll" in rock and roll. Sounds right to me.

Did you coin the term swing/straight groove or is that an old term?

Ant, your opinion please...recently we have been doing John Mayer's version of "After Midnight"...Mayer did it on Seth Meyers a little bit ago...It's a slowed down greasier version compared to Clapton's version. Steve Jordan plays on it and he is basically playing a money beat with that famous SJ chicken grease feel for the meat of the groove, straight feel. Anyway, my bandleader asked me to "swing it". Which to me meant doing a half time shuffle, which is what he must have been thinking of, because he's apparently happy with it. So my question, in your mind, what is the difference between swing and shuffle? Or anyone who has an opinion. The "skip beat" is a dotted figure, right? So a swing and a shuffle are related but a shuffle is all "skip" beats and swing stuff mixes them up with non dotted notes. Is that close?

Last edited:

I have always called that a Columbia rhythm. The "Broken triplet" as I call it (8th notes with a rest on the 'uh') are very popular in Cumbia, Not sure if it is played quite that way though...

Here is a fun example I found. Really makes this song more listenable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIK_8AGfk4Y

While we're on it, does the Cumbia beat come from a Cascara pattern?

Back