Ludwig Keystone vs. Classic vs. Legacy

DrumDrum1

which one of these would you get and why? also I have read about quality issues with Ludwig. Anyone here experience any problems? Thank you so much in advance!

Depends on how much you want to spend. If the new legacy sounds like the old maple/poplar three ply then that would be my first choice but they are very expensive. The Classics to me sound very good but not like the old 3ply that I consider to be the true Ludwig sound along with the older mahogany/poplar 3 ply . Have not heard the Keystone yet but the price is right.

No problems at all with my 2011 Classic Maples. Best drums I ever owned, way better sounding than a 1965 Club Date 14x22 and 13x9 combo I had. Kills a stop sign Gretsch rock sized kit I owned, slaughters all three Rogers kit's I've had. Now I did have a nice mid 60s Slingerland kit that was pretty untouchable sound and versatility wise but in the end the new CMs rule over those too. All IMO! Long Live Ludwig USA!

I was leaning toward the classic maple because of Jason Mcgerr's MD festival performance. His silver sparkle kit sounded really nice. I don't think these were the legacys because they weren't out yet and his legacy kit was black anyway. The keystones are interesting though because of the oak and double 45 edges.

I have all three, and they're very different drums with different vibes. It's hard to choose one over another, and as mentioned, the Legacies are designed to get the '60s sound, but it's done better. Classic Maple has more of a typical modern sound, perhaps a bit warmer due to the way the shells are formed (frequency instead of heat.) And the Keystones have a punchy, rock sound that speaks well. I'm using them on tour right now and am thrilled with them every time I play.

I dare say the Keystones would be a great choice if you had to pick one, and they're the least expensive. They don't come in a variety of sizes or finishes (yet) so that may be an issue if you don't like what they offer.

Bermuda

the Keystones have a punchy, rock sound that speaks well
Bermuda

That line just sold me on Keystones, but the limited options are a shame. Is it really just the three kits? Hope its just a question of time before Keystone becomes a total custom series and still cheaper then the other USA series.
Also in the 2011 catalog you see Evans USA drumheads at the customized options for Keystones :eek: Is Ludwig making Remo/- and Evans/- Ludwig heads?

As for my opinion dont know the Keystones and between CM and LC ill pick the CM because its just a allround series and for that price I dont want to limit myself.

As for quality you read things on these forums but never experienced or hear anything bad from retailers or other players ive spoken with.

I would highly recommend the Classic Maple line These drums are extremely versitile. They are warm and resonant when necessarry and low and punchy when necessarry. These drums speak clearly throughout the entire tuning spectrum and cut nicely in live situations.

To me, when considering a large purchase I always lean towards the drum that will fit the most situations well.

As far as quality controll is concerned, I have NEVER had an issue with Ludwig in that regard...(I can tell you some Yamaha stories though...ouch) I think these thing happen no matter what company you are dealing with...you just hope they don't happen to you.

I bought a Ludwig Centennial kit and had a quality control issue with ugly wood filler on the bearing edge of one shell. I should mention though that the Centennial is also cheaper than those because it is made in Taiwan. I would think/hope that the real Ludwig factory would have better quality control. Anyway, long story short, the store and Ludwig made well by replacing my tom at no cost. I do love these drums though. I would have bought a classic maple or legacy kit if I could have afforded one, and after having the Centennial I really believe it's a "poor man's Classic Maple".

P1000600.jpg

I highly recommend the Classic Maples, but you wouldn't go wrong with any of the three you've mentioned. I ordered mine in 2004 and have never had a problem. I think they're great all around drums. I also like the fact that Ludwig make their own shells on the high end drums. I think they are a good value for top of the line drums. Some of the other high end drums would probably be more expensive than the Ludwigs.

I love my Ludwig Legacy Classic Liverpool 4 set-extremely versatile drums, I have used these for amplified rock and Big Band Jazz and they have been fantastic for both genres.I simply change the heads and then the kit is perfect.They are VERY warm resonant drums with a nice low fundamental.No quality issues with my set.

I also own a Ludwig Element SE Down Beat kit in Citrus Mod wrap and I orginally purchased this for my girlfriend's son to practice on, but it sounds so damn good that I have gigged with it on numerous occasions.Excellent value drums.

Back