Taylor Hawkins

Re: Your views on Taylor Hawkins?

From whatI have seen his technique is a little sloppy and unrefined. I'm not sure he is using the moeller or if he is just not in total control. Just my observation.

I read an interview, where he said he is completely self-taught, and he uses his arms instead of his wrists-which he knows is wrong- and it makes him tire really fast, I think the drum part to " everlong is brilliant" and fun to play. I like his playing.

Hawkins didnt write or record the drums to everlong. That is all Dave.

As far as Hawkins, he is obviously very talented. You dont stick around and get the gigs he has gotten if you dont have the chops.

I love Taylor, huge inspiration of mine. Most of the drum parts he writes aren't that hard, but they always seem to fit the song perfectly, and they go well with how the Foo Fighters sound in my opinion. I haven't heard anything from his own band yet (Taylor and the Coattail Riders or something like that), but he sings and drums in it so you'd have to imagine he must be pretty talented to do that.

As for his technique, I read somewhere that he was self taught like mxo721 said, and he picked French grip over German grip, which I guess was a big deal back then? I dont know.

I thought his drum battle with Buddy Rich was legendary.

300px-AnimalS1.jpg

I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan, but I think Hawkins is a great rock drummer.

Some of his playing with the Foos seems a bit unrefined at times, but there are things he's done that really imprssed me.

Somewhere on Youtube, Geddy and Alex Lifeson come on stage with the Foo fighters, Grohl and the others walk off stage, leaving Hawkins with Geddy and Alex, and they play YYZ. Taylor is on his Foo fighters kit, not some monster set up, and he just nails it.

When VH-1 did their rock honors with The Who, the Foo Fighters did a set of music by the The Who, and Taylor is just great with the feel and power he put into those classic songs. At that point I saw why he is so respected.

I really respect Taylor, he is a major influence (not to my technique). But the stuff he did on some of the Coattail Riders tracks are WOAH!
Listen to "Get Up I Want To Get Down" and also listen to "Not Bad Luck"
The songs are crazy!
He is a good player, his solo's are cool too! And when he did YYZ, that was insane!
He's inspired me and he does seem to know rudiments, but I think he should really learn more techniques and he'd be amazing!

I'm a fan, but watching him play is almost painful. I think I woud pass out after two songs working that hard.

He reminds me of the way I use to play. Full of wasted energy but heck of a show! He's got great chops.

But to answer your questions he's a AWESOME drummer!

Any Foos fans here hear the new Wasting Light album? It's a good album overall and Taylor's drum tracks are well thought out. In my opinion his style is a nice bend of modern rock and classic rock.

Yes lots of fun. I'm still trying to nail down some of his parts, but overall it's not a difficult album drum-wise. I love the Neil Peart ride lick thrown into Rope :) From what I've heard Taylor Hawkins is a big Neil Peart fan. It's hard to see in his playing though because they are usually so different.

It's weird, I don't like the Foo Fighters music, but they all are such nice guys and very talented.

But ever since I saw Hawkins' ad for Gretsch I've wondered what set he plays. They look like big orange drums, but I've asked several dealers for the specific color and model and nobody can answer. Does anybody know? I'm looking to get a Gretsch set and his set's color looks awesome.

It's weird, I don't like the Foo Fighters music, but they all are such nice guys and very talented.

But ever since I saw Hawkins' ad for Gretsch I've wondered what set he plays. They look like big orange drums, but I've asked several dealers for the specific color and model and nobody can answer. Does anybody know? I'm looking to get a Gretsch set and his set's color looks awesome.

It's the new USA range :)

Great drummer and like all the Foo Fighter guys he just seems like the nicest coolest guy.

Now he's got good taste in drums, too.

Great drummer and like all the Foo Fighter guys he just seems like the nicest coolest guy.

Now he's got good taste in drums, too.

I met him once. Coolest guy I have ever met in my entire life! I told him he really inspired me and he laughed and said "That's great! Really appreciated"
Got my album signed and a picture with him too! :D

Back