Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

wizard sticks

In the old days (pre-1990!) Pearl hardware had a reputation as being the best. They had their uni-lock tilter even back then, and as I assess the options today, this feature (or similar) is not a universal, amazingly.. how people not use a universal tilter for their snare is a bad thing in my opinion!

This Gibraltar thing seems popular now, being American and all. Is this stuff any better?

I will probably stick to the Pearl choice out of habit, and it seems that the competition hasn't caught up yet.

(Its a shame that single-braced hardware isn't more popular, but never mind.)

Or am I a sucker?

I have a lot of Gibraltar on my rack. I also have some Pearl clamps on my down tubes. Personally, it is cheaper for me to get Gibraltar hardware locally than Pearl. From the Pearl equipment I have used, they really seem about the same. Keep in mind, these are the only pearl thing I have. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-AX28-2-Hole-Multi-Clamp-101159713-i1140412.gc

I got them because I found a deal on Ebay where I got 4 clamps for 50 bucks. Compare that price to this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibraltar-SC-4425G-Standard-Clamp-100295931-i1139070.gc

When you are building a rack, that price difference adds up.

I never got the impression that the Pearl stuff was the best in any era. Although good, their hardware wasn't that different or less strong compared to similar offerings from Tama or Yamaha. And Gibraltar is American? I never knew that.

Yamaha makes really nice single-braced hardware if that's what you're looking for. Gibraltar makes those really cool (and cheaper) flat-based hardware stands that are really good too. I say make a list of what you want and then start looking around - there will be a company that has what you want. Drum Workshop probably makes the best over-engineered stuff on the planet right now. Pearl is probably more economical compared to DW. As far as racks go, I think the Yamaha hex rack is a great design.

I never got the impression that the Pearl stuff was the best in any era. Although good, their hardware wasn't that different or less strong compared to similar offerings from Tama or Yamaha. And Gibraltar is American? I never knew that.

Yamaha makes really nice single-braced hardware if that's what you're looking for. Gibraltar makes those really cool (and cheaper) flat-based hardware stands that are really good too. I say make a list of what you want and then start looking around - there will be a company that has what you want. Drum Workshop probably makes the best over-engineered stuff on the planet right now. Pearl is probably more economical compared to DW. As far as racks go, I think the Yamaha hex rack is a great design.

I wish I could get single-braced hardware with 20th century tilters. If you know then tell me!

I wish I could get single-braced hardware with 20th century tilters. If you know then tell me!

If you're talking tripod-based hardware, check out Yamaha's 700 series hardware. I have their 740 hi-hat stand and snare stands, and I have three of their 600-series straight cymbal stands and they're awesome. Girbraltar, Ludwig, and DW make the flat-based cymbal stands with all the modern tilters, so there's basically a stand out there for every need.

If you're talking tripod-based hardware, check out Yamaha's 700 series hardware. I have their 740 hi-hat stand and snare stands, and I have three of their 600-series straight cymbal stands and they're awesome. Girbraltar, Ludwig, and DW make the flat-based cymbal stands with all the modern tilters, so there's basically a stand out there for every need.

Just looked at the Gilbralter flats, and it took a while to find out what the tilter is (in which it is a good one). They need to sing it from the rooftops is the tilter is geared or not .. it helps. :)

Just looked at the Gilbralter flats, and it took a while to find out what the tilter is (in which it is a good one). They need to sing it from the rooftops is the tilter is geared or not .. it helps. :)

Ah. If you want gearless, then Ludwig flats would be the way to go. Not only does it tilt, it will also swivel! It's like a ball-and-socket principle applied to the cymbal tilter. Very adjustable. Probably a bit more expensive in the UK, but they might be worth a look.

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that has performed millions of chicks and foot-splashes since 2003 and I never even have to think about it. From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.

Thanks. If you have used Yamaha hardware (which has had a great reputation too!) then is the 'center tilter' geared?

For some reason the flats look a bit weird! - but if they ofter lightness and flexibility, then they could be mine!

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that has performed millions of chicks and foot-splashes since 2003 and I never even have to think about it. From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.

From my old days, when the Recording Custom ruled the earth, their hardware was seen as beastly too - for the professional class at least.

DW should be good for the price!

In the old days (pre-1990!)

This Gibraltar thing seems popular now, being American and all. Is this stuff any better?
The company is American based, but their stuff is manufactured in Asia.​

I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them -- but many of their stands do not come with memory locks, so you have to purchase them separately.

I also use Yamaha hardware and it's some of the best built stuff out there.

I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them -- but many of their stands do not come with memory locks, so you have to purchase them separately.

I also use Yamaha hardware and it's some of the best built stuff out there.

I must admit I have never had any problem with any hardware. I just don't belt them hard enough. I started using the original flats, and I never had a problem with them. I even gigged with them in the 90s, and other drummers found it funny!

For drummers like me, most modern hardware is simply overkill.

I like the look of the Yamaha's, especially the single-braced stuff. The Gibraltar flats look fun too ... but a gearless snare stand I couldn't live without, for positioning.

Hardware has really come a long way in the past few decades.
I currently use both single and double braced hardware from Tama , Gibraltar, Sonor, Pearl, dw, Mapex, Ludwig. I use low to medium grade hardware because I don't need the heaviest hardware. There really is no sense in buying heavy duty hardware if you don't need it.
I really don't have complaints about any of the hardware that I own. It does the job and It is super dependable. It really comes down to features and style.

One of my favorite high-hat stands is the one that came with my Pearl Rhythm Traveller kit.
It is basic but it has a smooth action that I like.
I also have a no name snare stand that I really like.

I use hardware from practically every major manufacturer and find Pearls mid range 900 series stands are very road worthy and affordable. I have seven or eight of their BC-900 cymbal stands and one of their H-900 Hi Hat stands and an old Pearl drum throne that's got to be twenty five years old. Non of them ever failed me. For the rest of their hardware equipment, I have no idea. I preach only for what I use.

BTW, The Pearl 900 stands have features that many of the more expensive stands from other manufacturers don't have at this price range. Uni-Lock cymbal tilters and memory locks just off the top of my head.

Dennis

I haven't kept up with their cymbal stand offerings, but I am of the opinion that their S1000 snare stand is second to none.

Absolutely. The only comparable stand that I've seen is the Ludwig Atlas Pro "Pillar Clutch" thing, but I haven't examined it thoroughly.

BTW, The Pearl 900 stands have features that many of the more expensive stands from other manufacturers don't have at this price range. Uni-Lock cymbal tilters and memory locks just off the top of my head.

Dennis

Their 900 hardware is very solid. I actually much, much prefer the boom stands over the 1000 series boom stands because the boom arm tilter is a solid single-nut adjustment with a knurled tube rather than their gross-looking and (imo) prone to stripping 1000 series tilters with what I believe are hollow boom arms. Using those during marching season (as attachments to a marimba crossbar) is an absolute pain.

From what I gather here, Yamaha and DW are king of hardware.
Yamaha all the way for me. Never - ever had a single issue with Yamaha hardware of any series. I've had several casting failure issues with DW stuff, but it's generally decent stuff. Pearl top range stuff is reasonable, but it's midrange & lower level stuff isn't that great IMO. Every hardware piece that came with my son's Vision kit has failed. The black plastic bush inserts on stands are especially poor. They crack (sometimes within weeks) rendering the stand useless.

I remember way back in the 80s you would turn on the tv and see a pearl drum set on every metalish video. They sounded really good and make a lot of good stuff and a lot of decent beginner stuff. I don't think there quailitys has gone down just style tastes change.

Back