Circus/ Show Drumming

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
So I went to the circus tonight and saw " The Greatest Show on Earth" I was really impressed by how much the drummer played (seemed almost non-stop) and how good the band was. However what really impressed me was the variety of styles and different sounds he had to produce. I couln't see him very well but it looked like he may have been using an octapad with his acoustic set.

Anyone ever had this gig or know what the audition requirements are? Just curious...

Although I've played the circus (Ringling "blue" show), it's been a long time and things may have changed.

The circus probably carries the drummer and perhaps a couple of other guys, the rest are local, depending on where you are located.

1. You have to read.
2. You have to know every style imaginable.
3. You have to be able to follow a conductor and be prepared for anything during the show. When Guido misses his triple you may have to do a vamp, a repeat, go back to the head, etc.
4. You have to follow the show for hits.
5. You have to be able to stand the smell of camels. Not kidding--some people practically pass out.

Interesting, I imagine it's a unique lifestyle also. Do the guys have to live like Gypsy's travelling in trailers from town to town or does the band take the train that the circus owns? It's probably a great gig for a young single guy. A unique playing & travelling experience.

One of my friends at school was telling me about a friend of his who played in the circus for 3 years. He said he really liked it and the pay was great since he wasnt paying rent or anything like that, just a lot of profit. Ive thought about it, seems like a fun experience for a year or two, but you never know.

What I remembered about circus drummers from when I was a kid was, not much to it, simple beats, nothing cool - - -
When I first took my kids to the circus, having a bit of experience playing drums myself, I was astounded at how the drummer totally led the band - counting in, setups, cues, leading in quick changes - and punctuating the acts at the same time!!! Awesome. A real skill.

So I went to the circus tonight and saw " The Greatest Show on Earth" I was really impressed by how much the drummer played (seemed almost non-stop) and how good the band was. However what really impressed me was the variety of styles and different sounds he had to produce. I couln't see him very well but it looked like he may have been using an octapad with his acoustic set.

Anyone ever had this gig or know what the audition requirements are? Just curious...

I had a post on here a long while back (can't seem to find it) regarding the exact same thing and I believe the exact same drummer (if it's still him). I said pretty much the same thing you are. Couldn't even really pay attention to the "circus" cause I stared at the pit the whole time.

A couple months later, I got a PM (or reply) from him. Like a very belated thanks for the recognition. Said it can be rough. A gig none-the-less.

What a great topic. :) I played with the Ringling Bros. (blue unit) from 2007 to 2009. Toughest gig I've ever done. But, once you get into that mentality it's wonderful. You don't stop and everything is at 10. The kit I was using is here
You have to be a good reader but you can't read the gig. You have to be out of the book because all of the changes, styles, hits are que'd from the performers (human and animal), conductor, video and lighting and pyro.

Tigers don't perform in time. So, be prepared to catch tricks out of time while the band is still chugging along in time :)

drumtechdad Awesome to see another Ringling person. They've stopped hiring locals in every city and now take the whole 9 piece with them. When did you work for them?

take care, shawn

Back