Cajonito question for drummers

jmr

Hello drummers and percussionists. My name is john and I am not a drummer. I know nothing about drumming. In fact I am a non-drummer prodigy. I like groovy beats though. Recently I discovered cajonitos I thought great now I can learn some beats with out annoying my family and neighbors. I have fun building things so I am building one. It has 3 sounds . A base in the center and then a slap sound and also a snare sound. I can build the snare and slap sound where ever I want . One on the right and one on the left. My question? is there a standard set up for drums or is it simply the drummers preference? If I was to design and build one for drummers how would they want it set up? or does it matter? I have puzzled over this for two weeks while i have been designing and it's giving me a head ache?

Sitting on my lap the base is farthest away and then the slap and snare is closest to my body. I cant decide if snare and slap should go left and right or right and left

My advice is:

If you are right handed, set it up with the slap sound for your right hand and the snare sound for your left hand.

You will probably be playing it most of the time with your right hand on the base (bass) sound and your left hand on the snare sound.

That would be most typical of a drum set configuration.

Back