News I had to share with you guys!

hyruleherojoe

Hey everyone! I'm just exploding to tell you some potentially great news! I've been asked to be a backing drummer, along with my band members from my main band, for a previously top charting billboard artist. I don't want to drop names in case things don't work out, but yeah I'm super excited! We will be doing a performance in May, and if all goes well, we might be asked do to more as the summer progresses and even tour! I feel that this forum has played an important part in my musical endeavors. From little important tidbits of information, to anecdotal experiences shared with awesome lessons. I really can't stress enough how I value everyone's stories with personal lessons learned through trial and error, and just life in general. Being a young guy, I definitely pay attention to when the pros post up stuff, and guys that's been in the game for a while. There's too many to name on this forum.

THANK YOU!

The number one thing I've learned on this forum is to learn how to get along with other musicians, and artists. This networking and learning how to be socially graceful and humble really goes a long way. No one wants to work with an ego-centric person. And you never know who you might meet and get along with.

Now the nitty gritty. I have to quickly learn 7 songs, all basically christian R&B and somewhat gospel. Now I know politics and religion don't belong here, but this is just my personal experience I would like to share with you all. I'm not religious, more atheist than anything. So I had to not let my beliefs or way of life define my music choices. I strongly hold on to the idea that above all else, music can help connect people no matter the differences. So while idealistically I'm on the opposite spectrum, I love gospel drumming and music. I know I wont be able to churn out Thomas Pridgen like fills but hey! I can try haha. Music is music is music, my love of drumming means more to me than the differences I have with others.

So here is the part I ask you! What tips do you have to give me? To prepare for these songs?
I understand having the BPM is important, I'll ask that once we meet with everyone.

Equipment wise, bring only whats needed.

Practice to that metronome!

Play for the song, not to show off what little chops I have lol.

sorry for the long read!

Congratulations! Hope it all works out for you. I am not in a position to offer advice on this.

Congrats! And thanks for sharing. (We share one thing - our religious 'belief', haha.)

With 3.5 years into drums I can't give you that much advice unfortunately. But as for the chops stuff - play with confidence. Don't apply chops where they don't fit but where they do - bring 'em on. Do it with taste and dynamics and it should sound fine.

I always see musical opportunities as unique to what you're going through. Of course, they're all the same in that you are performing for the end result of entertaining the public, but because of the social interactions that only you are going through with that set of people, that's where it's unique to you. So I can't offer anything more than what you already know. Play for the song, be nice and humble, enthusiastic, and make the 'team' experience the best for everyone involved. That's all you can do! Congratulations on the opportunity and good luck out there!

If you call yourself an Atheist I think you should reconsider if you really wanna help Christianity to spread. I understand we have to sell out a bit in order to make a living but there have to be a limit...

I would say the same to a Christian playing anti-religious songs... Just my opinion about that it's worth to defend your beliefs/opinion sometimes..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you call yourself an Atheist I think you should reconsider if you really wanna help Christianity to spread. I understand we have to sell out a bit in order to make a living but there have to be a limit...

Does it really matter? Tom Araya is a devout Christian, yet he plays with Slayer. His religious beliefs are widely known, yet his fans don't care. It does not stop him from screaming "God hates us all" on a nightly basis.

Would it be wrong for an actor to play a murderer if they feel murder is wrong? I doubt Anthony Perkins really dressed up as an old lady and stabbed people, or if he had a split personality for that matter.

Play the music if you enjoy it.

Does it really matter? Tom Araya is a devout Christian, yet he plays with Slayer. His religious beliefs are widely known, yet his fans don't care. It does not stop him from screaming "God hates us all" on a nightly basis.

Would it be wrong for an actor to play a murderer if they feel murder is wrong? I doubt Anthony Perkins really dressed up as an old lady and stabbed people, or if he had a split personality for that matter.

Play the music if you enjoy it.

Not sure to be honest but it was my first reaction.
I actually don't know where my own limit is but I know I have one.
And your example about Tom Araya is great and I don't respect that man now. Do you? Seems a bit fake to me.. what's the point with opinions and belifs if you can't stand up for them..

Acting is a completely different thing unless you are acting in a commercial or PR-movie made to influence people to murder people... In acting it would be like taking part of one of the PR videos made for the Nazis and then day that you are against racism...

I'm sure I'll look like an idiot now but thats alright as long as people realize its not about religion specific but having standards.

And your example about Tom Araya is great and I don't respect that man now. Do you? Seems a bit fake to me.. what's the point with opinions and belifs if you can't stand up for them...

Yes, I respect Tom. He is a singer and bass player in one of the largest metal bands known. That is his job, he is an entertainer plain and simple. To instantly lose respect for him because you now know his beliefs is pretty weak in my book. What if he was a Jew, or a Muslim, or a grasshopper? Would that matter? Job discrimination based on religion in this country (US) is illegal. Your belief system has absolutely no bearings on ones ability to do a job.

As far as seeming fake, it is entertainment. Do you really think that singers do all the things that they sing about? Wouldn't that make them fake too? I mean, did David Bowie really go to space? Is Sting really a stalker (Every Breath You Take)?

I have no problem with people believing what they do, but it should not be the measuring stick in which we seek employment.

Yes, I respect Tom. He is a singer and bass player in one of the largest metal bands known. That is his job, he is an entertainer plain and simple. To instantly lose respect for him because you now know his beliefs is pretty weak in my book. What if he was a Jew, or a Muslim, or a grasshopper? Would that matter? Job discrimination based on religion in this country (US) is illegal. Your belief system has absolutely no bearings on ones ability to do a job.

As far as seeming fake, it is entertainment. Do you really think that singers do all the things that they sing about? Wouldn't that make them fake too? I mean, did David Bowie really go to space? Is Sting really a stalker (Every Breath You Take)?

I have no problem with people believing what they do, but it should not be the measuring stick in which we seek employment.

What... regret writing here and destroy his thread because I realized he obviously don't feel too strong about it to make a stand.
Anyway your examples doesn't make any sense... Once again its different if you trying to promote something you actually are against. just realized he might not actually be against religion just don't care about it.. and then it's okey!

Anyway to make myself clear, I can't stand the brand X buy I would go and buy a product from X to my brother because I knew he wants it even though it makes me feel dirty. But I would never ever for a million dollars be in their commercial. That would be my limit, I wouldn't feel comfortable helping the brand influence people in something I'm strongly against and believe is bad for humanity. If we gonna continue this a new thread need to be started. Sorry for taking up this subject here.

What... regret writing here and destroy his thread because I realized he obviously don't feel too strong about it to make a stand.
Anyway your examples doesn't make any sense... Once again its different if you trying to promote something you actually are against. just realized he might not actually be against religion just don't care about it.. and then it's okey!

Anyway to make myself clear, I can't stand the brand X buy I would go and buy a product from X to my brother because I knew he wants it even though it makes me feel dirty. But I would never ever for a million dollars be in their commercial. That would be my limit, I wouldn't feel comfortable helping the brand influence people in something I'm strongly against and believe is bad for humanity. If we gonna continue this a new thread need to be started. Sorry for taking up this subject here.

Its all good, nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe. Ultimately it is going to be down to the OP, if he is willing to deal with what ever else comes from taking this position.

In my OP I do state the my love of music lets me see pass the differences I may have with someone else. Be it beliefs, character, or any other circumstances. While I am firm in what I believe, music to me is more enjoyable. Why would one person's beliefs stop me from creating music with them? I see that as not being a flake, but just genuinely interested in sharing my love of music. In that regards you are correct in that I am willing to deal with whatever comes from this position. I didn't want this post to be about anything on religion or politics, just sharing my news and asking for any advice or tips on how to prepare and what should I not forget.

I always see musical opportunities as unique to what you're going through. Of course, they're all the same in that you are performing for the end result of entertaining the public, but because of the social interactions that only you are going through with that set of people, that's where it's unique to you. So I can't offer anything more than what you already know. Play for the song, be nice and humble, enthusiastic, and make the 'team' experience the best for everyone involved. That's all you can do! Congratulations on the opportunity and good luck out there!

Thanks a lot Bo! I know your tips have always been helpful on here. Being a team player is my main goal. Like how everyone says that while Ringo may not have been super technical, he was the glue that held the Beatles together. (Bernard Purdie controversy aside)

And to Arky and Groove, the way I see it more heads are better than one no matter what years of experience. I always can learn from anyone!

You can never have to many drumkeys
The height of your throne really does matter
Using the butt end of the stick gives you a better stick click

^those are just a few I picked up simply browsing the forums. All seem obvious or minimal but they ring true, and I wouldn't have given them a second thought had I not kept it in mind.

Back