Just can't tune my snare

S

savage8190

I have literally been sitting here trying to tune my snare for 2 hours and I just cant do it. It was super bright and I brought it to my teacher yesterday. He said it was tuned about as high as it would go; he tuned up the reso and he tuned the batter quite a bit lower than it was, and it sounded better, but still not where I wanted. He suggested I get a thicker/darker head to get it down a bit further.

I picked up a new head, and I can't get it to sound good unless I tune it high. There is just way too much resonance and it sounds terrible. Now I can't even get my old head back to where he had it and I'm just getting frustrated. What gives? Doesn't seem to matter how high or low I tune the reso, the batter always has to be high to get rid of the excessive resonance/overtones/ringing. Thing is I want it darker, so that doesn't work for me.

For reference, it's a Mapex Meridian Maple 14x5.5 snare, stock head is a Remo UT ambassador, and the new head is a Remo Powerstroke 3.

It's really hard to diagnose without hearing it. That's why Steve gave us smartphones. Upload a quick clip to youtube/vimeo and link it here, and I'm sure someone will chime in.

It figures that right after I wrote this I found a happy spot for the powerstroke. I just took everything off and started from scratch. It seems to like the reso a bit lower and it just won't go to a low tuning. I presume every drum and every head will react differently?

I guess like everything else it's a learning process. I think if it took this long to learn to tune a guitar I may have quit on day one. LOL

I need to accept that this is a pretty bright snare. Whenever I hear a snare I really like it's always a deep one. Too early to start dropping Christmas hints? :)

Look into the Big Fat Snare Drum if you want a Big Fat Snare Drum sound I've got Steve's Donut a few weeks ago and so far I really like it, I'm going to be using it on a recording session sometime within the next month and can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Look up drum tuning videos on YouTube and once you've got a better understanding of how it works, make the necessary adjustments to get the drums sounding how you want them to sound.

Good Luck!

I have this same snare. It has a lot of ring to it (it IS a Maple snare) that can be controlled without choking the drum. I tried several head combos and here's what I came up with:
Remo coated controlled sound reverse dot batter
Aquarian Classic Clear reso
Crank the reso Crank the reso oh yeah....crank the reso
I use two strips of gaffer's tape 2" x 4" on opposite corners of the snare. You can actually play on these strips for quieter accents if you want.
I started to put this snare in the closet but after trying this combination I've been playing it for months....sounds great!

I hear ya..had the same problem with my pork pie little squealer for a while. You just gotta toy with it for a little bit and eventually you find that sweet spot

One way to make it darker is to put an Ebony head on it. ;)

Actually, you should try an Evans head maybe? Hate to say it, but they tune up easier.

Back