Trommeltage (drum days) 2013

Arky

Platinum Member
As listed in the events section...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2013-10-25&e=352&c=2

The Rock Shop Trommeltage 2013 (Karlsruhe, Germany) will be held this weekend (Friday and Saturday).
Anybody coming? Do you have specific questions to the drummers that will be performing? I could forward those.

Weckl, Mangini, Greb, Rabb and some more.

I guess I'll take some pics but I'm not the guy to stand there and record whole performances (that would be missing the actual performance with one's senses, right) - and maybe this will even be prohibited. Depends on the artist - at Jojo Mayer's clinic people were told to not make video footage while taking pics was ok.

Last edited:
First day:
Patrick Metzger
Mike Mangini
Dave Weckl

That was the first time I experienced any of those drummers live.

Day 2 of that event starts in a few hours.

Second day - I skipped a few performances in the beginning, it would have been too much of a good thing for me.

Got there in time to see Johnny Raab performing a duet with German drummer Dirk Brand.

Then came Aaron Thier on a huge DW double bass set. Multi pedal orchestration...

Next: Ralf Gustke (Germany's most famous drummer) & percussionist Stephan Maass.

Closing performance: Benny Greb's band - they had their premier appearance as this band. Great stuff. Benny's fellow musicians came straight from another gig and had to be picked up from Frankfurt - due to the German speedways with lots of unlimited speed areas they were 'delivered' in time for their performance at the Trommeltage.

Last edited:
I love Johnny Raab, Ralf Gustke and Benny Greb... you're a very lucky guy Arky :)

Any photos? I would love to see some...

Henri, I didn't take any photos. But the Rock Shop crew made lots of them - and they keep posting them on facebook. I'll borrow some of them and upload them here. I guess their pics are better than mine would have turned out, haha.

I must admit that I saw all those drummers for the first time and I wasn't even familiar with their style for some of them. It's fascinating to see how different the drumsets of world class pros can be - from Benny's 'small' and comfortably set up kit to Aaron Thier's monster kit and Mike Mangini's even more monstrous drum station.

So pics will follow.

Ok, here's some pics.

There are no pics from Dave Weckl on the Rock Shop facebook site yet but those will follow.

Attachments

• Mangini_1.jpg
    Mangini_1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_3.jpg
    Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_2.jpg
    Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_1.jpg
    Ralf Gustke and Stefan Maass_1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Aaron Thier_2.jpg
    Aaron Thier_2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Aaron Thier_1.jpg
    Aaron Thier_1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Johnny Raab and Dirk Brand.jpg
    Johnny Raab and Dirk Brand.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Mangini_2.jpg
    Mangini_2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 174
Pics from Benny Greb's performance.

Also on display just outside the performance room - the world's largest cajon ;-)

Attachments

• Benny Greb_1.jpg
    Benny Greb_1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 169
  • Benny Greb_2.jpg
    Benny Greb_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Benny Greb_3.jpg
    Benny Greb_3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 169
  • world's largest cajon.jpg
    world's largest cajon.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 173
As just shared by Meinl and Rock Shop - footage from that event - Benny Greb's "Moving Parts" - their _very first_ live performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_blQAPHt4&feature=youtu.be

They created a stunning live vibe.
(I also paid attention to the guitarist and was quite impressed by the range of sounds/expressions/articulation he displayed.)
Now that is one very very cool performance! I loved the fluidity & almost overly organic vibe of the band. Wow!

Back