dwforever

Title says it all. If you have any cool, crazy, shocking stories of your time as a drummer, please post!

This is nothing special, but I need to get the thread going:
>had to play on somebody elses kit that was already set up
>the kit was left handed
>played my set left handed, never done it before
>wasnt too bad at all

Not really an intersting story, but a short one about this jazz gig I did. Came with a DW jazz series and I loved them the moment I first hit 'em. The end.

My most 'wing it by the skin of my teeth and hope for the best moment' was in 2003.

I got a call one Wednesday to play a dep the following Saturday with a Country & Western band. This was when I was playing with an originals Indie and Rush tribute bands.

I turned up without any rehearsals or setlist to bone-up on, and it just so reminded me of Bob's Country Bunker, but after getting the bass player to give me 'the nod' at crucial times it went without a hitch.

Boring, but I don't have much else.

But I did do Karaoke with two lesbians and a prostitute at one of my, unfortunately now defunct, favourite bars.

I remember a gig once where I was wearing a cape...and I was wearing tights with the underwear on the outside. To make a long story short, my mom sure was proud of me that night.

The first gig I ever played (my band + 2 other bands) ended up in the headliner's drummer spitting fake blood all over my drum set.

At that moment I realized that playing music in a band wasn't quite what I had envisioned it to be - It was actually even more interesting!

This is pretty lame but once I was at a practice right before I was going to be playing and the bass drum moved forward everytime I kicked until it was totally out of reach. I was stressed out during that playing. It actually turned out good, and nothing went wrong, but issues with the snare and bass drum had me worried the whole time I was playing.

i did a gig with a bunch of metal bands with dbl bass kits at a mountain lodge/bar. the "stage" wasn't really a stage, so all bands set up on the dance floor.

as i was playing, my bass drums were creeping AWAY from me and the snare was creeping INWARD. and during the set i caught my finger between the stick and the snare hoop. blood all over the snare head.

after the gig the stick was stuck to my hand due the the dried blood. it was nasty but kinda cool.

learned a new lesson that night...always bring a rug for the kit.

I played in a Vegas show band and I ran the sequencer, counted in the Drifters medley, band started The Coasters medley......almost immediate train wreck lol! Or a couple of times the band comes in on the 2 and I'm on the one because I missed the click or whatever. It happens with loops and sequences but it ain't pretty ahahahaha

Had a drum set get urinated on once at a gig.

Luckily it was not my stuff.

My little rock band played at the pep rally at our school this one year and our singer( who was really our rapper, and he just improved everything on the spot, and I hated it, but everyone in school ate it up like ice cream) was being a complete butt before the it started. It wasn't stage fright, I can tell you that, he was just being a stubborn jerk and refusing to play because he "didn't feel like it." After a 20 minute butt-kissing he promised that "maybe" he'll do some stuff. Anyway, we end up sitting through the entire pep rally without playing anything until it's over and we just played to people walking out.

My little rock band played at the pep rally at our school this one year and our singer( who was really our rapper, and he just improved everything on the spot, and I hated it, but everyone in school ate it up like ice cream) was being a complete butt before the it started. It wasn't stage fright, I can tell you that, he was just being a stubborn jerk and refusing to play because he "didn't feel like it." After a 20 minute butt-kissing he promised that "maybe" he'll do some stuff. Anyway, we end up sitting through the entire pep rally without playing anything until it's over and we just played to people walking out.

Shoulda given him a snickers.

snickers_betty_white.jpg

Shoulda given him a snickers.

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh my god, that's straight up my scene of humor ally! It's something I would have said right to his face while he was being a bummer. That's why I was usually kicked out of the room during serious conversations. Perfect!

I played a festival where I had to use a kit that was already set up on the stage. We were the second group up. When I sat behind the kit, it was set up for someone about 5 feet tall, I'm 6'2"! Thankfully we didn't have to play long, our set was about a half hour. We were rushed up to the stage to play, and I had no time to re-configure the kit. I still remember what it felt like when we finished. Ouch!

Saturday night gig at a northern social club.
They had a revolving half circular stage through a silver curtain.
The MC announced the band and we when't on to a psychedelic instrumental opening....

And found our selves back stage again!
A slight pause and the MC said.

"sorry Ladies n Gentlemen let's try that again"

Sound, revolving stage, crescendo ... and once again the the audience passed and we were back stage..

The MC said

"Well enough of that ladies and Gent's the band have decided to donate their fee to local Children's home, Bingo round 2 in 10 minutes!

we were never booked there again!

Simon

A Texas rock band I was in played at a dive bar a coupla years ago at the request of a booking agent we knew. The gig went great. But loading up my kit, my stick bag was stolen. (4 bands on the bill.)

One of the rare times we didn't have someone watching the gear. Lesson learned.

I've had my throne snap in half mid song. It was a cheap throne; I felt it was loose at the beginning of the song. It kept feeling looser and looser as I played, so I decided I HAD to stand up (while playing) so I wouldn't topple over. The instant I stood up, the top half of the throne fell to the ground. It had broken completely in half WHILE I was playing, but in some sort of miracle, the top half landed on the bottom half in a way that I didn't fall over when it snapped, and it only fell apart after I stood. Luckily a folding chair was available for me to use afterward.
That's also happened with my snare stand, repaired with a drum stick (as a splint) and yards upon yards of duct tape.

Back