Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Rock - 22"

I only have one bass drum. The type of head and tuning makes all the difference for me.

Hmm ... a large cylinder ... protruding out ... from the front of the drummer ... and then he beats the daylights out of it ... nup, don't understand the imagery ... could you explain please?

;-)

Hey, maybe it's not what you had in mind Grea :) but still, here it is...

ev2.jpg

Predominately 22". Wish I had a 20 (you should start a tally of how many of us say this!)

I guess go ahead and put me under "Rock", if you don't already have an "Americana" tab, in which case that's more accurate for the band I'm in right now.

Thank you Henri. That makes the concept crystal clear lol

Thanks for all the responses, guys! We don't yet have enough "mainly jazz" or "mainly blues" players to settle the discussion on the 20" thread about the reationship between BD size and genre. Still, almost 84% of the rock/punk/metal/loud drummers have a main bass drum that's larger than 20".

Surprised that there's as many rockers playing 24+" as there are playing a 22". I thought the trend would be towards smaller drums.

Edit: Groove, I'll add you in the next table. 18" is leading the jazz sizes by a mile.

Attachments

• table2.gif
    table2.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 354
We should plot out the bass drum sizes of a good sample size of non-custom shell-packs on the market in the past 10 years. I have a feeling that many drummers out there are playing a 22" bass drum because that's what came with their kit... (a category I fall into)

Agree Nerf - my 1979 Rogers was a standard 22, 12, 13, 16.

Stix, do you know which genre you've played most in 2012 and what size BD did you use most? Want to take a punt?

Sadly, I'd say that my main genre for the year has been Metal.
Metal, with an 18x22 kick.

Rock 22". To echo what Nerflad alluded to, the shell packs I have had over the years typically been standardised to the Rock configuration - i.e. 12, 13,16, 22. I doubt this is relevant to your survey, but I'm on the lookout for a 10, 12, 14, 20 shell pack that I would use for exactly the same type of music but I just fancy something a little more portable (I'm thinking mass rather than volume).

Hard Rock / Classic Rock 22x18

Back