drum regulations noise

Jacob009

hi i am 14 and i play drums about 1 hour each day and ive gone over to the neighbours after they started to complain and i asked is there a time you want me to play i said 3-6 but im playing in the 3 to six an hr each not even everyday and he is still complaining swearing and carryon ova the fence once i finish playing and i have a band so i play with 2 guitarist aswell but he never complains about the guitars. what do you think that is reasonable

hi i am 14 and i play drums about 1 hour each day and ive gone over to the neighbours after they started to complain and i asked is there a time you want me to play i said 3-6 but im playing in the 3 to six an hr each not even everyday and he is still complaining swearing and carryon ova the fence once i finish playing and i have a band so i play with 2 guitarist aswell but he never complains about the guitars. what do you think that is reasonable

Are you using mute pads? Or anything to quiet the drum set?

Wait so what did he say when you went over and talked to him? If you are nice and trying to work around his schedule then most people don't mind if you play your drums. Doesn't he work? You should be able to play when he is at work. If he's still complaining then put some pads on your drums, or maybe ask your parents to go talk to him, perhaps he would be more understanding talking to an adult. Some people just suck though about the noise. I tried to have band practice in the garage at my house once. We got about halfway through a song before a neighbor comes knocking. He said he couldn't even hear his tv, which was total bs because he lives two houses away and the rest of my family is inside the house watching tv.

As far as you getting in trouble for being too loud though, I doubt it. If you live in an HOA they may have different noise requirements, but most cities I really doubt you are being loud enough to warrant a ticket. Even if the guy called the police all they can do is tell you to quiet down. If the guy is being such a stickler about the noise, go ahead and play and let him be pissed off.

Wait so what did he say when you went over and talked to him? If you are nice and trying to work around his schedule then most people don't mind if you play your drums. Doesn't he work? You should be able to play when he is at work. If he's still complaining then put some pads on your drums, or maybe ask your parents to go talk to him, perhaps he would be more understanding talking to an adult. Some people just suck though about the noise. I tried to have band practice in the garage at my house once. We got about halfway through a song before a neighbor comes knocking. He said he couldn't even hear his tv, which was total bs because he lives two houses away and the rest of my family is inside the house watching tv.

As far as you getting in trouble for being too loud though, I doubt it. If you live in an HOA they may have different noise requirements, but most cities I really doubt you are being loud enough to warrant a ticket. Even if the guy called the police all they can do is tell you to quiet down. If the guy is being such a stickler about the noise, go ahead and play and let him be pissed off.
i have no mute pads or anything i have carpet underneath the drums but that doesnt help it is in the garage the sound leaks out through the cealing but there is no noise when im playing and my family is in the house they cant hear it i talked to him he said i could play from 3-6 i do that but he still spaza no he doesnt work hes a retarded old fart i also said why cant you go out while i play drums for about an hr but no he just always yells ova the fence no he hasnt called the police yet but he did on the other drummer in my street the day affter i got the drums starting playing then he said the next day it was too loud and started to spaz and told us to not play it and the guy in the street got fined $5000
i think i am in the right and limiting my time to 1hr a day sometimes i dont even play everyday cause im busy

Is there any way to further insulate the garage. I put a wall up in my garage because the sound was leaking out the garage door towards the street and was pretty loud for someone walking by or living in the immediate vicinity.

no im not using mute pads there is carpet underneath the drums but i also keep the door closed when i drum

I see. It's cool that your parents are cool with it. You are VERY fortunate. Consider yourself lucky that you have the support of your family. Many, if not most parents wouldn't tolerate a drumset. As for your neighbor, my opinion is that you should try to appease him in some way. Mute pads should do it. A picture of your house showing the proximity of your neighbor's house would help. If they are close, then mute pads are warranted. It's not really fair to expect the nieghbor to just get up and go somewhere when you play the drums. He has every right to live there in peace whenever he wants to. It's his house that he paid for. This aspect of playing the drums is a huge obstacle for many of us, including myself. If you were to browse the topics I've created or participated in, you'd find a number of them that are related to this topic.

He can't just have you fined because he's intolerant. During normal daylight hours, loud noises are not illegal in most counties. You'll just have to keep it under a certain decibel level and he can't do anything about it. Refusing to let you play for a few hours during the middle of the day is simply not reasonable from my view.

Fined $5000? I don't think so...lol

Back