I must apologise for this...

He... He got... up...

And he still played.

He was using his foot to mute the hi-hat.

This man...

He deserves some kind of medal or something to commemorate how f-cking insane his show is.

hahahahah loved the part where he just got up and left and ran around the kit . if i did that my band would collectivly faint.

I'm hearing you, Joey. The other band members must find him fun to have around - a ballsy drummer, a great drumming acrobat and no doubt a real character. No doubt like Steve Moore lol

What options do we have as drummers to add entertainment to the music, apart from acrobatics? Reason I ask, is that I'd like to be entertaining but I have the acrobatic ability of a slug.

I'm hearing you, Joey. The other band members must find him fun to have around - a ballsy drummer, a great drumming acrobat and no doubt a real character. No doubt like Steve Moore lol

What options do we have as drummers to add entertainment to the music, apart from acrobatics? Reason I ask, is that I'd like to be entertaining but I have the acrobatic ability of a slug.

Bloody good question Poll, one I'm sure doesn't have many answers either unfortunately.

I like throwing arms in the air and stuff but I could probably never see myself doing what this guy does, especially when he stands up and starts hitting the floor tom behind him.

Now, THAT was entertaining. Can't say I could, or would, ever have enough balls to go that route, but it's good to see people that do.

I thought he played well, stayed with the music, had tons of energy, made a show of it. And at some point, played with Vince Neil. Sorry haters...a gig is a gig....and some gigs, while better than others, are gigs that haters will probably never get. However you cut it, we are watching him...

A good musician not only knows how to do what is neccisary for the song, but also knows how to add something to the music. In my opinion at least. That is something this drummer does not do, instead he chooses to play an acrobatic act. .

But as noted, he's playing for Vince Neil.

Most (if not all) drummers Vince has hired have been "showman", and anyone playing with Vince is going to be compared to Tommy "once made his drum kit go up down" Lee.

So, given the context of the gig, visuals are (probably) necessarily for the song. Vince fans aren't going to show up to watch the band just sit there and make the minimal physical required effort to play the music. Several of this guys tricks are variations on what Randy Castillo used to, who was the 1st drummer Vince hired when he went solo (and later played with Vince in Motley Crue).

Some gigs come with certain requirements, wedding gigs usually require a tux, piano trio's usually require a thinner cymbal, extreme metal bands usually require double bass, and playing for Vince require some level of showman ship.

Just this guy takes it to the extreme.

Speaking of ego. Actually, I thought his crashes were spot on. As for basic musicality , uhh, no Then again, not the point.. Obviously, this is about him and not what the band was doing at the time. Bottom line, made me watch. Haha, if Jerry Lee Lewis played the drums.

Bloody good question Poll, one I'm sure doesn't have many answers either unfortunately.

I like throwing arms in the air and stuff but I could probably never see myself doing what this guy does, especially when he stands up and starts hitting the floor tom behind him.

Yeah JT, general ham acting is another option - make it look harder than it is - as lead guitarists did in the 70s with the straddled legs, skin tight leathers and gym socks in their pants. Nick Mason from Floyd was good at the ham thing.

Dominating overplayers like Aaron Spears and Ron Bruner tap into that circus acrobat act in a different way, something that's grown from the more understated acrobatics of Gene Krupa and Papa Jo.

Thinking about this more now ... there was Moonie's mayhem. The Kiss drummers had the cat makeup. Don Moye of Art Ensemble had the African face paint. Terry Bozzio had his undies and sweaty six pack.

Watching passionate performances from brilliant artists like Steve Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl, Billy Cobham and Brian Blade is always a buzz.

I enjoyed watching Ringo's head shaking and the total non-event approach of Charlie Watts. Bill Bruford's kookiness was good to watch. Also entertained by Chris Cutler's pseudo-classical look. Neil Peart has the drum-kit-as-work-or-art thing happening. Guys like Stewart Copeland, Dave Grohl and Danny Carey give us blistering power and energy.

Gigs I saw by John Mayall and Tom Robinson were memorable for the sheer fun those guys were having. Okay they were vocalist/guitarists but they were smiling and laughing so much they made Zoltan look as earnest as Neil Peart. Great to see :)

Sticking the foot out I didn't like, looked uncomfortable. Everything else I thought was very entertaining. Its Rock, entertain....

Hey there's room for everybody in music, the more the merrier. I thought it was fun, I should try that some night just to shake things up ha ha

I'm actually surprised that a lead singer of Vince Neil's stature would even consider hiring someone who would steal the audience's gaze from Vince. I have to give Vince a lot (Polly) of credit for not being so egomaniacal to hire a show stealer type drummer in the first place.

well mr zoltans case is extreme, but i think to a certain extent anyone could do what he does. if you think about it we drummers train our bodies do many different things on command whats a arm raised a little higher or a leg kicked out really?

it draws a parallel with something like gymnastics, gymnasts all start out running across that big old pad at first but then as they get better they add all sorts of twists and spins and jumps. from that veiw the song is more of a "routine" than anything else. im sure he has it planned and practiced right down to the last kick.

We just did a show last night with Eagles Of Death Metal (Joey Castillo--great, cool guy), and the company that supplied the kit for Joey was the same company on that VN gig. The guys from the company said Zoltan was a really great, genuine guy.
Nice to hear.

The best line under the comments was," I'll keep him in mind when the Harlem Globetrotters need a drummer." Genius

Back