Breaking sticks for fun and profit

Jon B

no, not reall for either of those 2. i was playing today and rocking out having a great time and i broke a stick or 2. I also broke a pair at marching practice yesterday, and I was thinking today that even though they are expensive, ect it might be good for a drummer to break a stick every now and again. Not like every practice, but one or 2 a month, or some other small amount. Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't call it "good" but I wouldn't call it "bad" either. It just is.

Sticks breaking intermittently is par for the course. The price we pay for bashing a piece of wood against a piece of metal. But breaking 2 or 3 every time you sit down.....you're doing something wrong......or using the wrong stick for the job.

I could tell you were young because you sound like you almost want to make this a macho thing. I break sticks that finally wear out from hitting the hihat and wearing down but several pair in one day is ridiculous and just not sane. I can assume that someone else is buying your sticks and not you. Check your style you are doing something wrong or just having fun abusing sticks.

you both nailed it with the wrong stick for the job, i had some 5a's from christmas that my grandma got me, i usually play with aheads (at a friends house) or with sd1/2b. I know it isnt my technique because I had one pair of sticks last around 400 hours through marching season, i was just having a bit of fun with some tiny little 5as. And i wouldnt say macho so much as the concept of "replacing" little things every so often. The same way that a guitar player would have to replace picks. I know for me atleast ive broken sticks and gone into the store looking for sticks the same size and come out with different ones i really liked, so it might lead to a wider variety of sticks in your collection.

You can break sticks?
Mine usually just become whittled away until I can use them as toothpicks.
Either that or the wood tips chip away so the stick is useless.

I had to learn on 7A's and I still use 7A's for much of my playing. Fifty years ago there wasn't much heavy metal vying for the tree trunk size corner of the stick market.

Dennis

Back