Larry Mullen

The Joshua Tree (1987) and Love Town (1989/1990) tours were YAMAHA Turbo Tour Custom kits. (black finish)

Zoo TV (1992) and Zooropa (1993) tours were YAMAHA Maple Custom (black finish)

Popmart (1997) tour were (Main stage kit) YAMAHA Maple Custom (each drum a different sparkle finish) // (B-Stage stage kit) YAMAHA Maple Custom (white sparkle finish)

Elevation (2001) tour was a YAMAHA Beech Custom kit (White Mica finish)

Vertigo (2005/2006) tours were a YAMAHA Absolute Beech Custom kit (White Mica finish)

U2:360 (2009/2010) tours are a YAMAHA PHX kit (silver sparkle finish)

Hello. Does anyone know what drum kit(s) Larry used on The Joshua Tree, Zoo TV, Elevation; and Vertigo tours?

Modern Drummer, in 1985. He said then that it'd be the last time he did such and interview as he doesn't feel comfortable with giving that type of interview.

MD tried to get a feature in 2001. I spoke to the editor in 2003. He stated that they had a date and time for the interview and photos and Larry backed out at the last minute and never rescheduled.

Their recent 10 reasons to love Larry Mullen Jr. might be their way of courting him; hoping for a feature sometime soon.

Hi. Does anyone know if Larry has been featured in any front cover(s) of a drumming magazine?

Larry Mullen Jr., is a drummer who plays and dedicates an odd feel for the song, back and forth but catchy. I still listen to "October" not a commercial album but quite original...War, Rattle & Hum, The Joshua Tree, are remarkable.

Larry Mullen Jr., is a drummer who plays and dedicates an odd feel for the song, back and forth but catchy. I still listen to "October" not a commercial album but quite original...War, Rattle & Hum, The Joshua Tree, are remarkable.

October is a great album.

I really love his playing the early U2 albums, and the way he would write rhythmic hooks rather than just "beat into fill".

+ You have got to listen to: Boy / The Unforgettable Fire / October...

Fantastic drummer, definitely has a unique way of playing. There's a song off the Joshua Tree called 'Trip Through Your Wires', which never fails to get me tapping my foot!

Re: Larry mullen jr

A simple drums for a simple man, but his work doesn't sounds straight or flat. How he does that?

Love his pulse...great dynamics.

I'm always feeling a "marching" texture about his playing...maybe more of a precision steel toed boot strut...very kinetic...very appropriate.

Its nearly impossible to lose time in his compositions...yet he does not feel pendantic nor range into the rigid

Last edited:

I've always liked the beats for bullet the blue sky, and Sunday bloody Sunday. Stopped listening after Joshua tree.

Back