DW Bass Drum Pedal Springs

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I seem to break one of these every few months. I'm on my fourth one in the last 12 mo. Does this seem excessive? I'd say my tension is set somewhere between loose and medium.

Are there better springs that work well w/ these pedals? I've got a DW 5000 single pedal.

I seem to break one of these every few months. I'm on my fourth one in the last 12 mo. Does this seem excessive? I'd say my tension is set somewhere between loose and medium.

Are there better springs that work well w/ these pedals? I've got a DW 5000 single pedal.

That's seems a bit strange. I played 9000s for three years and never had a spring fail. The spring is the same as the 5000. What part of the spring breaks?

I played the same spring for 10 years on my 5000's with no problem.

Where exactly is the spring breaking? in the body of the spring, where it connects to the upper triangle or down at the bottom?

I kind of figured I'd get these kinds of answers! Anyhow, the part that breaks is the loop that attaches to the bottom piece of the assembly. I'm playing 2 hrs. every night and maybe 3 on band practice night.

I'm thinking that I might have gotten a bad batch from Guitar Center or something. The first spring took a year to break and I played quite a bit more back then, when I first bought the pedal.

I dunno, it's strange!

Last edited:
Sorry dude , I've played a 5000 for over 15 years and still on the original spring...

There might be a burr or sharp edge. Take the thing apart and check it. If you find a burr a small file should clean it right up.

HTH

There might be a burr or sharp edge. Take the thing apart and check it. If you find a burr a small file should clean it right up.

HTH

You know, I wondered if there wasn't something wearing the loop out but I'm buying the entire assembly when I replace my it - not just the spring itself.

If it keeps happening I'll have to assume it's something w/ the pedal itself...maybe there's a slight manufacturing flaw that's putting stress on the spring, or something like that.

I'd give DW a call if it were me, you shouldn't be going through springs like that.

I love it! A broken pedal spring is the proverbial 'Sasquatch' of this forum.
Now we have a report of not one, but 4 in the last year and from the same person.

Springs can break, but pedal springs? Pic's don't exist, please be the first. We need evidence.

Broken pedal boards are well documented, pic's exist (like below), but nada broken spring pic's.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 2,997
Hmmm...tossed it in the trash already, sorry. I'm afraid all of the evidence is hearsay, at this point. To be fair, one of the broken springs was swiped from a DW 7000 pedal I had used for a year prior. It lasted a few months before giving up the ghost.

Hmmm...tossed it in the trash already, sorry. I'm afraid all of the evidence is hearsay, at this point. To be fair, one of the broken springs was swiped from a DW 7000 pedal I had used for a year prior. It lasted a few months before giving up the ghost.

I don't doubt you, so it may sound. I have broken one pedal spring in my life... although that spring was modified (shortened). The bottom hook's end had seen a grinding wheel. While playing, the (shortened) hook had worked its way to the eyelet of the bottom holder. About a millimeter long piece of the end broke off and struck me right under the eye (flying spring steel).

I've played many, many hours with pedal springs (plural) MAXED out and never had one legitimately break, so I'm very curious to see a broken one.

Hey I just got a DW 5000 double bass pedal and before i was using just a mapex pedal that that had a pretty high tension... the DW's seem to have almost no tension at all is there anyway someone can tell me how to adjust the spring for the max tension or any other adjustements i can do? thnx..

Hey I just got a DW 5000 double bass pedal and before i was using just a mapex pedal that that had a pretty high tension... the DW's seem to have almost no tension at all is there anyway someone can tell me how to adjust the spring for the max tension or any other adjustements i can do? thnx..

On the right-hand side of the pedal, where the spring is:

- spin the little chrome wheel (beneath the spring) to the left to free up some slack
- push down on the wheel and spin the hexagonal "stem" to the left a few times...then let up on the wheel so the stem goes back into place.

You can also adjust the beater distance from the head at the top of the spring assembly, using a tuning key.

11 years later, but this happened to me the other day, and what with how difficult it is to get "non-essentials" these days, the timing of it is pretty ridiculous. Especially considering I bought the pedal new less than a month ago :s

Attachments

• 787265BC-A151-440A-A5E2-3D5C470C2236.jpeg
    787265BC-A151-440A-A5E2-3D5C470C2236.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 6
Back