Neighbor complaints about subwoofer

bearblastbeats

Figured this would be an ok place to ask this question.

I have new neighbors who moved above me recently and have been calling the office about my music. No other surrounding neighbor, nor the old neighbors above me ever made a complaint.

I don't think my music is loud, they mention its the bass, but to be honest, I have my music just audible enough but still can have a conversation with someone just talking regularly.

Do you think they are just bring pricks and is there a way I can still enjoy music without shutting the subwoofer off?

It may be low volume, but those subwoofer frequencies carry a long long way.

I'd back off on the sub levels.

As pointed out there are two types of sounds ,one you can hear and the other you can feel.

Bass waves are notorious for the feel and traveling for great distances.

To move a bass speaker at a 100 hz level requires a lot more energy than a 5000 hz level.

So just generating the wave gives it the energy to travel great distances.

They don't like your music.
They're just trying to establish their dominance in the pecking order.

Orrrrr, they could just be tired of hearing thump thump thump...

Check with your local constabulary and see what the "nuisance" laws are. It doesn't necessarily have to be loud or late at night to be a nuisance. Then go and talk to your neighbors.

The obvious answer is to set your drums up and play them to show them what loud really is!

When i moved my store into a new place there was a non stop BOOM BOOM BOOM from the dentist office next door.. it wasn't loud but once it's in your head.. BOOM BOOM.... concentrating on work.. BOOM BOOM... non stop.. i finally went over and asked WTF.. in their place it was very quiet. but subwoofers carry.. he unplugged the sub. issue solved.

Figured this would be an ok place to ask this question.

I have new neighbors who moved above me recently and have been calling the office about my music. No other surrounding neighbor, nor the old neighbors above me ever made a complaint.

I don't think my music is loud, they mention its the bass, but to be honest, I have my music just audible enough but still can have a conversation with someone just talking regularly.

Do you think they are just bring pricks and is there a way I can still enjoy music without shutting the subwoofer off?

They don't like your music.
They're just trying to establish their dominance in the pecking order.

It's not a matter of not liking his music or dominance... more than likely they don't hear any music and just hear the sub.. which is what normally happens.. and it's not pleasant...

Icetech nailed it

Trust me - all they are hearing is the subwoofer.

Low rider syndrome.

All you hear is the boom and if you hear any treble ,it's usually the license plate rattling.

Being blunt, you're probably in the wrong.

Try living above someone with a subwoofer. It doesn't matter how 'quiet' you think it is, it carries. And all the person above you hears is 'thump, thump'.

I had this exact battle with the guy who lived below me. Some old guy, he would get wasted every night and watch war movies with his sub woofer on. It vibrated my floor. The first time I went down and talked to him, and he told me with bleary eyes and alky breath that he "already had it as low as it would go". I suggested "off" and he slammed the door in my face.

I tried being nice, I tried calling the cops, I reported every incident to the landlord. A few weeks ago I noticed different people living there. I actually hope I got him evicted. Apartments are not a place for subwoofers or speakers as tall as you are.

Incidentally, I have been on the other side of this. The first apartment I moved into with my new job out of college I bought a big stereo receiver and huge speakers. Turned it on once, the guy downstairs came and knocked on my door and told me it was crazy loud in his apartment. I was amazed. I put a movie on, went down to his place, saw the pictures on the wall vibrating and apologized and returned my purchase.

If you are listening to music or watching a movie at conversation level volume you don't need the subwoofer!

A wise person once said: apartment dwellers don't use subs.

Subs add something at conversation levels.

Trust me. And Frank is right.... subs aren't for apartments.

?????

It doesn't have to be a 'huge blaring system' for the neighbors to hear the sub.

A subwoofer is a subwoofer. The size of the system doesn't really make any difference.

Just turn it on and visit your neighbors - find out firsthand what they are hearing.

Yep the low frequency range 20-200 Hz carries like even lower infrasound that elephants use to communicate long distances-humans can hear some infrasound it has been discovered, Without my hearing aids I can't hear squat but at night I do hear some low frequency and even infrasound I suspect-I wake up wife-"you hear that?" -which she laughs and retorts you can't hear shit go back to sleep. I definitely feel sounds and that helps

Back