Something I just don't get

Showmanship is great but it takes a back seat to ability and technique.

In which universe does that occur, Jay? I'd like to go there.

Not that SG and LB are short on ability and technique ... and I quote liked the unusual setup. It seemed that the other players were providing cues to move to the next sections.

In which universe does that occur, Jay? I'd like to go there.

Not that SG and LB are short on ability and technique ...

i went back and eddited that out because it wasn't what I was trying to say. I just mean that if flipping a stick makes a drummer sound better and groove better then ok. I have found it takes a drummers mind off of the music for the most part. Sowmanship is great and even I do little things here and there for fun but I don't think a drummer should be praised over his showmanship if his groove, chops and ability to play music isn't up to par or better than his showmanship.

I just mean that the abilities and techniques a drummer uses to PLAY the drums interests me more than the abilities and techniques he uses to flip sticks, show off, tap dance etc etc. Hope this explains it a little better.

Also in a sense we are all showmen and it is important to excite the audience who really have no clue whats going on so I understand drummers doing things to excite the masses. It's fine, but we drummers can see what is truly used for playing the DRUMS and whats done to show off for the masses. I always get excited over new and innovative techniques that I see or a better method of achieving a certain groove or chop on the kit. I have never said OH MY GOD BELLSON and GADD tap danced that is sooo amazing lol. It is cool but as a drummer i get excited over a drummer playing the drums. Not being a prude, I hope this helps explain a little better. to each his own

Jay, I know where you're coming from. Two drummers together normally isn't my thing either although duels between top players Weckl, Vinnie, Gadd or Elvin, Max and Art or Gene and Buddy still suck me in despite myself.

I love jamming with percussionists, though. Can do it for hours.

Generally, I don't like drum solos. But when 2 players get together you can see the difference in their styles much better than any other situation. So I think it's valid.

Davo

Definitely depends on the players and the arrangement. If they're just trying to outplay eachother every step of the way, it often just produces a huge mess.

Here's one of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ8-r_hd5PY

You know you bring up a great point. It reminds me of all those gospell drumming shed videos where 3 or 4 guys are only playing to out do the other but they are all playing at the same damn time!!! The gospel chops drummers are usually great drummers but I don't know what has happened to gospel drumming over the years. It went from straight grooves that could lift a buick to speed metal type drumming. When I hear those gospel chops sessions I can't even take a breath because they never let up, they just go on, and on, and onnn lol blip blah boop boop blip blah dugadah dugadah SOMEBODY PLAY A STRAIGHT GROOVE FOR A SEC AND LET ME CATCH MY BREAT!!! lol. All in all great drummers though

I just mean that the abilities and techniques a drummer uses to PLAY the drums interests me more than the abilities and techniques he uses to flip sticks, show off, tap dance etc etc. Hope this explains it a little better.

Not all multi-drummers performances are based solely on showmanship, on some pieces out there, the drummers actually PLAY the drums, and the fact that there's more than one of them, makes it even a harder challenge, when you play alone, it's your call, when there's more than one player, time, accuracy and feel are pushed to the limits.

Listen to Simon and Gavin, to play like that with such intricate patterns, forces respect, praise and musicianship, you can still appreciate each drummer's imput, as well as how it blend so well together, I'm passionate about drums, drummers and drumming, whenever there's one playing or many, and this kind of performance might be classified as "showmanship" by many, while I just call it "music", it's absolutely awesome, but as you say, each to his own, but these guys are using their abilities and techniques to play the drums, nothing else.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf39uh1Mdk

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1Arl7Z2Ls

...but as a drummer i get excited over a drummer playing the drums.

!?! ...if they're not playing the drums, what are they playing?

We have just aquired a second drummer in our band. This guy is good. We tried it with a couple other drummers and it didn't work out so well for one reason or another. But with this drummer things go really well and it sounds amazing. I think it is a great experience. Last night the other drummer couldn't make it and even I was missing that other element to our music. The music we play really lends itself to more percussion and rhythmic elements within the song. So really this is the shot in the arm that our band needed and we are seriously thinking about gigging now.

I guess it's a lot to do with whether there's a musical thing going on or if it turns into athletics of some kind. I understand Will Calhoun pulled that trick on Neil Peart at one of the Buddy Memorial concerts - not that I was there, just what i heard.

Back