New cymbals + gear!

805Drummer

Gold Member
This weekend, to kick off spring break, my family went to Virginia Beach, where I visited Alpha Music.

Now, this was not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill local music store. Alpha music is like Guitar Center, except 200 percent better. The staff are friendly, they have a HUGE selection (like, bigger than some online stores), and you can try most stuff out, with the exception of the drum sets.

Pic0761.jpg

Pic0765.jpg

Pic0766.jpg

Pic0762.jpg

Pic0764.jpg

After lots of trying out different cymbals, cowbells, and snares, I finally decided on my new cymbals:

DSCN3341.jpg

A complete set of Zildjian Planet Z's! What more could a man ask for???

But in all seriousness, that was just the box that my stuff came in. What did I get?

Well, first I took a look at the drum heads:

Pic0763.jpg

I've never seen so many drum heads in my life--what a variety! Hundreds of Remos, Aquarians, and Evans...and to my extreme surprise, I found EXACTLY what I was looking for--an 18" Remo Ebony Pinstripe.

DSCN3348.jpg

Finally! My kit's head color scheme is complete! Snare is white, toms are all black, and, which I forgot to mention...

My new Evans EMAD, complementary of Evans! I even got, from Alpha Music, an Aquarian double kick pad for it. And this head ROCKS! It's super responsive, punchy, and deep. I love it.

DSCN3353-1.jpg

Also, when I got my Roc-n-Soc Nitro, I forgot pictures. Well, this throne is not only SUPER comfortable, but it makes my kit look twice as classy, and completes the aesthetics of it, complementing the red and black PERFECTLY.

DSCN3349-1.jpg

And it also holds me up much stronger =)

DSCN3344.jpg

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post--I know I haven't been posting in a while, I've just been really busy and stuff.

I think I'll make a video soon of me actually playing it--finally, I'm completely satisfied (you could say enthralled!) with my kit's sound. Everything's pretty much perfect.

UPDATED SPECS

24" PDP 805 bass drum
-Evans EMAD / stock
14" PDP 805 snare drum
-Aquarian Hi-Energy / Remo Diplomat hazy
13" PDP 805 rack tom tom
-Remo Ebony Pinstripe / Aquarian Performance II
16" PDP 805 floor tom
18" PDP 805 floor tom
-Remo Ebony Pinstripe / stock
------------
14" Zildjian New Beat hi hats
16" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
20" Zildjian A Medium ride
10" Zildjian ZXT Flash Splash
------------
PDP HH800 hi-hat stand
PDP CB800 boom stand
PDP CS800 straight stand
PDP SS800 snare stand
Dixon Lightweight boom stand
Pearl CH70 cymbal holder
Pacific 700 straight cymbal stand
------------
DW 5002AD3 Accelerator double kick pedal w/ Aquarian double kick pad
Roc-n-soc Lunar throne, red
Ahead Joey Jordison drumsticks / 5B Vic Firth rock maple
Flip Video camcorder / JVC Everio GZ-MG555
Vic Firth SIH1 headphones

Last edited:
Every town needs a music store like that one. It looks huge. did you just run into it or did you know it was there??

Every town needs a music store like that one. It looks huge. did you just run into it or did you know it was there??

I knew it was there...last time I went, I went to Moe's Music, which is this tiny used music store...nothing exciting there, but ever since, I've wanted to come to this place.

Too bad my mom and grandpa were following me around the whole time, so I couldn't really just focus and lose myself in the drum gear.

Nice i got a new crash the other day. I love new gear.

805 man, your kit has come SUCH a long way... especially when I think about the Drumsword trade... lol!

Really sweet set up man, you're lucky to live with all these frickin superstores around!
I'd like to see some more video to check on how your playing is coming along too.

By the way, have you ever tried a pork pie throne? If so, could you point out some similarities and differences between that and your roc n soc? Any general comments?

Too bad my mom and grandpa were following me around the whole time, so I couldn't really just focus and lose myself in the drum gear.

my girlfriend follows me around the Long and Mcquade thats a mere 5 minute walk from our apartment and gives me the "matt, you've been looking at the same snare for 25 minutes. can we go?" look!

that music store is impressive! unfortunately the drum section at my local long and mcquade is in the basement and its quite small (i dont think they have more than 100 cymbals in stock) but the guys are really cool and knowledgeable and helpful.

805 man, your kit has come SUCH a long way... especially when I think about the Drumsword trade... lol!

Really sweet set up man, you're lucky to live with all these frickin superstores around!
I'd like to see some more video to check on how your playing is coming along too.

By the way, have you ever tried a pork pie throne? If so, could you point out some similarities and differences between that and your roc n soc? Any general comments?

Thanks!

But the music store, unfortunately, is 4 hours away...it's close to my grandparents, the lucky ducks.

And at Guitar Center, I tried out the round Pork Pie and the Roc-n-Soc, and basically, the RNS won hands down. It was more comfortable, sturdy, etc. And the BIGGEST difference, which was the complete deal-breaker, is that the Roc-n-Soc has the gas lift. This is the best feature EVER. It allows you to make micro adjustments, either up and down, quickly, without unscrewing anything or getting out of your chair.

I think the only advantage the Pork Pies have are that they come in some awesome color schemes, and some people might prefer the round design. In a way, a less comfortable throne is better, because it keeps you alert, which is why I sometimes sit on the wrong side of my Roc-n-Soc (no joke!).

I almost cried when I saw that Planet Z box :p

good job though on the actual gear.

LOL yeah, when they offered me the box to take my head home in, I was almost reluctant to take it, just for the stares I might get. Then I realized that almost no one even knows (except drummers)!

This weekend, to kick off spring break, my family went to Virginia Beach, where I visited Alpha Music.

Now, this was not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill local music store. Alpha music is like Guitar Center, except 200 percent better. The staff are friendly, they have a HUGE selection (like, bigger than some online stores), and you can try most stuff out, with the exception of the drum sets.

Pic0761.jpg

Pic0765.jpg

Pic0766.jpg

Pic0762.jpg

Pic0764.jpg

After lots of trying out different cymbals, cowbells, and snares, I finally decided on my new cymbals:

DSCN3341.jpg

A complete set of Zildjian Planet Z's! What more could a man ask for???

But in all seriousness, that was just the box that my stuff came in. What did I get?

Well, first I took a look at the drum heads:

Pic0763.jpg

I've never seen so many drum heads in my life--what a variety! Hundreds of Remos, Aquarians, and Evans...and to my extreme surprise, I found EXACTLY what I was looking for--an 18" Remo Ebony Pinstripe.

DSCN3348.jpg

Finally! My kit's head color scheme is complete! Snare is white, toms are all black, and, which I forgot to mention...

My new Evans EMAD, complementary of Evans! I even got, from Alpha Music, an Aquarian double kick pad for it. And this head ROCKS! It's super responsive, punchy, and deep. I love it.

DSCN3353-1.jpg

Also, when I got my Roc-n-Soc Nitro, I forgot pictures. Well, this throne is not only SUPER comfortable, but it makes my kit look twice as classy, and completes the aesthetics of it, complementing the red and black PERFECTLY.

DSCN3349-1.jpg

And it also holds me up much stronger =)

DSCN3344.jpg

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post--I know I haven't been posting in a while, I've just been really busy and stuff.

I think I'll make a video soon of me actually playing it--finally, I'm completely satisfied (you could say enthralled!) with my kit's sound. Everything's pretty much perfect.

UPDATED SPECS

24" PDP 805 bass drum
-Evans EMAD / stock
14" PDP 805 snare drum
-Aquarian Hi-Energy / Remo Diplomat hazy
13" PDP 805 rack tom tom
16" PDP 805 floor tom
18" PDP 805 floor tom
-Remo Ebony Pinstripe / stock
------------
14" Zildjian New Beat hi hats
16" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
20" Zildjian A Medium ride
10" Zildjian ZXT Flash Splash
------------
PDP HH800 hi-hat stand
PDP CB800 boom stand
PDP CS800 straight stand
PDP SS800 snare stand
Dixon Lightweight boom stand
Pearl CH70 cymbal holder
Pacific 700 straight cymbal stand
------------
DW 5002AD3 Accelerator double kick pedal w/ Aquarian double kick pad
Roc-n-soc Lunar throne, red
Ahead Joey Jordison drumsticks / 5B Vic Firth rock maple
Flip Video camcorder / JVC Everio GZ-MG555
Vic Firth SIH1 headphones

Very, very nice! Great choice of heads also- I use the Aquarian performance 2s also- just love the sound.....just enough ring, nice projection and good depth.

Very, very nice! Great choice of heads also- I use the Aquarian performance 2s also- just love the sound.....just enough ring, nice projection and good depth.

Actually, I just use them as resos because I don't have anything else to use besides stocks. When I was using them as batter heads before I got my pinstripes, they sounded WAY dead. Like, almost cardboard box-dead. In fact, the Ebony Pinstripes are a little too dead for my liking as well, but I'm keeping them because they look awesome, and I don't want to spend more money. Plus, I'm happy with the sound, it just could be better, that's all.

i wish there was a store like that near me....darn, i guess I'll have to make due with them pics.....actually on second thought its probably a good thing there
is nothing that big near me, otherwise I'd never leave the place..... :)

diggin' your kit man, the red on black looks killer

how deep is your rack tom?

-Jonathan

thats a heck of a shopping spree! the 18" looks awsome, really ties the kit together all the heads matched up, your kit looks better every time you post, keep up the good work!

Very nice! I choked on my pepsi when I got to the picture of the Planet Z box.

I had a Roc-n-Soc motion throne a while back. That thing was sturdy enough to take to war... Heavy enough that nobody else in the band wanted to carry it in or out of venues, though. I need to get another...apparently someone REALLY liked mine. Enough to break into my van for it. They left ALL the band's instruments and amps alone! Just wanted my throne.

i wish there was a store like that near me....darn, i guess I'll have to make due with them pics.....actually on second thought its probably a good thing there
is nothing that big near me, otherwise I'd never leave the place..... :)

diggin' your kit man, the red on black looks killer

how deep is your rack tom?

-Jonathan

Don't feel bad, it's not near me either! It's four hours away...but yeah, maybe it's like a birthday--if you had it every day, it wouldn't be special anymore.

My rack tom's 8" deep. I like that depth, but I wish I had a smaller one to go with it. If given the opportunity (no one sells them!), I would get the 12x9 one that comes on the other 805 kit.

Very nice! I choked on my pepsi when I got to the picture of the Planet Z box.

I had a Roc-n-Soc motion throne a while back. That thing was sturdy enough to take to war... Heavy enough that nobody else in the band wanted to carry it in or out of venues, though. I need to get another...apparently someone REALLY liked mine. Enough to break into my van for it. They left ALL the band's instruments and amps alone! Just wanted my throne.

Haha, that's what I was going for! =)

And wow! That's hilarious...kind of weird though, how they only took the throne. I guess the thief didn't feel like selling anything, he just used what he stole.

Not only is the throne a workhorse, but I love how SMOOTH it is when spinning. Like BUTTER!

Wow the only music stores near me are guitar center (way overpriced) and a drum shop that is the size of a closet

Guitar center is actually pretty fair. The only reason they're overpriced is because whatever they keep in stock is overpriced.

Look anywhere, cymbals are frikkkin expensive, unless you buy used, which I do

Back