Good enough to give lessons?

Obzen

People who have seen me play have always suggested I should give lessons, but I've always poo-pooed the idea because I haven't been through jazz school or anything.

I'm about to be a struggling (design) student, I need to supplement my income, I'm absolutely obsessed with drums (and music in general) and I'd love to build a career around music. So recently when people again suggested I give lessons, I started to actually think about it.

I've been playing drums for 9 years, mostly self-taught (not to mention youtube/google/watching-other-drummers) I've had a few lessons myself and have a pretty good idea of what I'd teach someone already. I'm easily smart and sensible enough to research any gaps I may have in my own drumming knowlege to fit a beginner/intermediate drum students requirements.

Plus I'm great with people, I'm a very nurturing person and teaching people things definitely comes naturally (maybe one of my gifts?) so I don't doubt my ability to be a good teacher. I have a suitable permanent practice space I can use for lessons.

Most of my experience is within the heavy metal genre, and I would probably target that niche.

All I'm wondering is, based purely on my skills and experience, can I offer lessons and charge for it without feeling like I'm unqualified and ripping people off?

Here I am playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_OtQPJ0FE

I know there are some people who have very strong opinions about who is qualified to teach, but I say go for it. If people are asking then obviously they hold you in high enough regard to believe you are capable of sharing your skills. Every teacher has to start somewhere, and you can't become a better teacher if you never start. I began teaching lessons after only 2 years of playing, however I have been teaching for 6 years and I have learned a lot about what and how to teach by trial and error. Just because someone has tons of experience doesn't mean they will be a good teacher. Let me know if you have any specific questions about lessons or whatever I'll be glad to help.

Hey man, nice to see you on another forum ;) Yeah bro, just do it. Your playing is great too. Heaps of folks on here teach and you'll find a ton of advice in past threads.

My teacher went to music school in Aussie, but I don't find much of that really comes out in my lessons. His experience and knowledge comes from years of playing professionally and touring the world in a band as opposed to what he learned 20~ years ago at college. However if a student did want to go in the 'schooled' direction then some of that background would probably apply more to them than to myself.

Let's put this to an easy test then shall we?

If I were a brand new student, who had never picked up a pair of sticks before, and I wanted to learn "metal" drumming..........what would you teach me? :)

Teach. Even if you only have a basic rock beat to teach, then teach it. I've found that this is really the only thing someone needs to learn to be enthusiastic about drums. Your playing is really good so go for it. Just make sure you set your lessons at the correct level for the student.

The qualities you describe are perfect for teaching. Absolutely yes go for it! I am very patient and would likewise be a not so great teacher for anything.

This question must be tempered by the students you attract. In a teaching nutshell, all you're really doing is passing along the information. If you can pass this information along and present it in a way that students get it and feel that they've accomplished something, then it doesn't matter if you haven't gone to school for it. I say go for it. If you get a potential student who quickly moves past you, then by all means, refer him to a better teacher, there's nothing wrong with that. The student would appreciate your honesty.

In my past, I had many beginning students that just frustrated me because they couldn't keep up with me. That attitude had to change because it isn't about me, it's about them and their goals. Once I realized I wasn't going to get 30 years of playing experience into Johnny from next door who just bought himself a drumkit, everything got to be alot more fun. And I've had my fair share of students who really wanted to take off and I referred them to better teachers because they deserved better. Just be honest - if they start asking about things you're not familiar with, either start learning about it yourself so you can coach them through it, or find another teacher. You hate to be the guy older drummers says things about like "I had this beginning drum teacher who couldn't teach me anything. I hated it!".

Don't be that guy.

If I were a brand new student, who had never picked up a pair of sticks before, and I wanted to learn "metal" drumming..........what would you teach me? :)

But even if you manage to get this answer right, you should realize that most students want to learn what THEY want to learn, not what YOU want to teach. And the student who says he wants to learn metal drumming this week will bring you something completely different the next week, simply because most students are currently exploring different genres of music.

Do you own any basic drum method books? Can you read a snare solo? Play all of the rudiments? Can you help the kid who wants to nail his audition for marching band?

From your line of questioning, it seems you think you'll only have to teach a small brood of eager young drummers who want to learn your metal chops, and will practice everyday the exercises you demonstrate for them. You might have one student like that for every 20, if you're very lucky!

But even if you manage to get this answer right, you should realize that most students want to learn what THEY want to learn, not what YOU want to teach. And the student who says he wants to learn metal drumming this week will bring you something completely different the next week, simply because most students are currently exploring different genres of music.

Do you own any basic drum method books? Can you read a snare solo? Play all of the rudiments? Can you help the kid who wants to nail his audition for marching band?

From your line of questioning, it seems you think you'll only have to teach a small brood of eager young drummers who want to learn your metal chops, and will practice everyday the exercises you demonstrate for them. You might have one student like that for every 20, if you're very lucky!

This is all true, but I don't think he'll be taking on students outside of his capability or expertise.

And most young drummers out here are only interested in the metal/punk/hardcore stuff anyway.

You're suggesting I've approached this from a very narrow viewpoint, whereas my intention was the exact opposite. I thought my question was the ultimate broadstroke. Sorry it didn't read that way. The responses I'm looking for are the same response any reputable teacher would offer. Various styles, the fundamentals like fulcrum use, note values rudiments, reading.....a good comprehension of what a half-competant teacher would utilise to start teaching a student. If the OP had offered he was only equipped to teach a 4/4 beat, I would have suggested he gain more of his own experience before teaching others. If he had replied he was a reasonably well rounded player who had a full understanding of the fundamentals required for a newbie, I'd say have at it.....everybody's gotta start somewhere.

I was merely trying to guage whether the OP was equipped to teach before I waded in with any opinion one way or another. Though the question obviously missed it's mark. :)

This is all true, but I don't think he'll be taking on students outside of his capability or expertise.

And most young drummers out here are only interested in the metal/punk/hardcore stuff anyway.

Really? I mean, I have my fair share of students who are into that stuff, but it's so challenging to play that fast, and the opportunities to actually play that music for an audience are so rare, that they quickly move on to other things (they don't necessarily stop liking metal, though, they just broaden).

You're suggesting I've approached this from a very narrow viewpoint, whereas my intention was the exact opposite. I thought my question was the ultimate broadstroke. Sorry it didn't read that way. The responses I'm looking for are the same response any reputable teacher would offer. Various styles, the fundamentals like fulcrum use, note values rudiments, reading.....a good comprehension of what a half-competant teacher would utilise to start teaching a student. If the OP had offered he was only equipped to teach a 4/4 beat, I would have suggested he gain more of his own experience before teaching others. If he had replied he was a reasonably well rounded player who had a full understanding of the fundamentals required for a newbie, I'd say have at it.....everybody's gotta start somewhere.

I was merely trying to guage whether the OP was equipped to teach before I waded in with any opinion one way or another. Though the question obviously missed it's mark. :)

Pocket, my apologies! I meant to address the OP in my comment, not you! I shouldn't have quoted you like that without making that clear! I meant to say "from the OP's line of questioning" (i.e. am I qualified to charge money?). Poor etiquette on my part! Sorry for the confusion!

Anyway, I'm hoping the OP realizes that the segment of drummers that wish to only learn metal from someone who isn't a highly regarded professional is too small to be worthwhile (although if Kettles is right, then I may be wrong!). Either way, I hope Obzen has the skills to provide his students with strong fundamentals, so that they can further themselves in any direction they wish!

Cheers for the feedback and suggestions guys(and girls) =) was kinda expecting a bit more discouragement!

Hey man, nice to see you on another forum ;) Yeah bro, just do it. Your playing is great too. Heaps of folks on here teach and you'll find a ton of advice in past threads.

My teacher went to music school in Aussie, but I don't find much of that really comes out in my lessons. His experience and knowledge comes from years of playing professionally and touring the world in a band as opposed to what he learned 20~ years ago at college. However if a student did want to go in the 'schooled' direction then some of that background would probably apply more to them than to myself.

Haha, didn’t expect that to happen in the big wide internet forumming world, perhaps it isnt so big afterall. I gotta say though, I’m surprised I managed to snag my username here. thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

Well I’d get them talking about what music they’re into, get a feel for the direction they want to take it. But first off probably forget the metal thing and get them thinking about basic shit,
Start off with some/all of the following things, explaining that getting into good habits is important etc:
- focussing on hitting just the snare, working on getting a consistent central hit,
- holding the sticks correctly,
- finding the fulcrum,
- going shaft/tip/shaft/tip on the closed hi-hats,
- go very slowly through a paradiddle
- accents, go slowly through rrRr llLl
- give them a really basic 4 x 4,groove and the sheet music to go with it.
Over the next few weeks/months let them guide the lessons/direction with their own ambitions and questions while also throwing in level-appropriate things to increase their vocabulary like:
- Exercises:
o Various rudiments around the kit
o Various rudiments with accents
- Different and more complex grooves
o Triplets (yeah)
- Hi-hat pedal work
- Ghost notes
- Double kick work
- Kick Flams

That’s just off the top of my head, I’d think of more than that of course, and do a lot of research while planning lessons and teach myself heaps of new shit in the process too

Well, 'no' to all of that pretty much, I know most of the rudiments, mostly as part of fills, not learned by name. I wouldn’t currently be able to read a snare solo, I have a reasonable grasp of drum sheet music, but still a bit to learn, I just haven’t worked much with sheet music.

I’d probably refer a marching band student to someone else, but with the kind of scene I move in I’d be unlikely to come across one anyway.

Perhaps ticking off the first 3 of your criteria is something I should before I start tutoring, and then continue to push myself to learn more theory and foundation drumming knowledge, both to pass on and for my own sake. I’m definitely one to take the responsibility very seriously, I’d make sure I’m learning heaps of new shit at the same time and continue to find new exercises and techniques to teach

FYI – Although I started off as only a metal drummer I’ve expanded quite far out from just metal stuff over the past 2-3 years, I’ve gotten right into jazzy/rocky beats, shuffles, funky grooves, heaps of creeping time-signature grooves, ghost notes and accents galore, especially after having about 6 months of lessons from a jazz qualified tutor last year. So I wouldn’t be approaching this from a strictly metal only angle – anyway, metal these days is so diverse that a great and diverse metal drumming really encompasses techniques and skills from every genre of music, the only difference is that it additionally involves occasions of considerably faster and harder and more complex playing than found in most other genres.

didn't read all the stuff up there ^
how many hours of instruction have you had yourself? who was giving this instruction?
if the answer is "i mainly taught myself, i mainly like to look at youtube and like playing a long to songs" then my answer is good luck

i mean you could probably teach sure, but i don't think i would pay for any lessons

Being a good drummer doesn't necessarily mean you'll automatically be a good teacher.

Teaching is a gift, no matter what the subject. As long as you can communicate to your students in a way that they can grasp, and you have a solid foundation (ie: in your situation, your drummer peers agree you've got good chops, good metre and solid understanding of your instrument), then I'm sure you'll be successful.

One option would be to give say 2 free lessons and then let the student decide if you're the right teacher for them.

Being a good drummer doesn't necessarily mean you'll automatically be a good teacher.

at least it's a good start though, if you are some zen master on top of that then it will only add to the immensity of your teaching

Perhaps ticking off the first 3 of your criteria is something I should before I start tutoring, and then continue to push myself to learn more theory and foundation drumming knowledge, both to pass on and for my own sake. I’m definitely one to take the responsibility very seriously, I’d make sure I’m learning heaps of new shit at the same time and continue to find new exercises and techniques to teach

I agree. For your own sake, you should know a certain amount before you start to teach. If you get students in middle school or high school, they will probably already know more rudiments than you do. They may be able to read music better too. It would be embarrassing for you, not to mention bad for your reputation, to be known as a teacher who does not know the basics.

I would suggest taking lessons and filling in the gaps of your playing first.

Jeff

I agree. For your own sake, you should know a certain amount before you start to teach. If you get students in middle school or high school, they will probably already know more rudiments than you do. They may be able to read music better too. It would be embarrassing for you, not to mention bad for your reputation, to be known as a teacher who does not know the basics.

Jeff

agreed

be careful who you teach before you are confident in your own musical education

you will be absolutely surprised by how much a high school freshman will know after one year of a good marching band program

you absolutely DO NOT want your student teaching you what a "Shirley Murphy" or a "Book Report" is

thats just a bad look

Jeff

excellent advice Jeff.
20x20=400

didn't read all the stuff up there ^
how many hours of instruction have you had yourself? who was giving this instruction?
if the answer is "i mainly taught myself, i mainly like to look at youtube and like playing a long to songs" then my answer is good luck

i mean you could probably teach sure, but i don't think i would pay for any lessons

Guilty as charged! I love to teach-have taught things other than drums- and love to play, but your post describes my overall level of instruction-mostly self-taught. I want to teach, but realize I have a long way to go in terms of learning technique and reading in order for me to be a teacher worth learning from. Luckily I never inflicted myself on an unsuspecting student-just my son!

Obzen-awesome playing! If you're comfortable with the fundamentals, I agree with others who say "go for it!" I also like the idea of honestly assessing where your student is, what they want, seeing if you can meet this, and making a referral to another teacher if necessary.

Last edited:
Back