Recorded drummers have an advantage

gusty

Platinum Member
Just a message to those younger or less experienced drummers who get frustrated at why they dont sound like their drum idols, remember that drums always sounds better when recorded in a studio then professionally mixed and mastered. Sometimes I forget this and get frustrated, but then i listen to my own recordings in the studio and i think, yeah, im not too bad.

Just a message to those younger or less experienced drummers who get frustrated at why they dont sound like their drum idols, remember that drums always sounds better when recorded in a studio then professionally mixed and mastered. Sometimes I forget this and get frustrated, but then i listen to my own recordings in the studio and i think, yeah, im not too bad.

That is true. They also sound better mixed live through a board with reverb, etc. If you ever have the chance to go to a large show, and then get on stage after the show and hear the drums unmic'd, it will blow your mind.

That is true. They also sound better mixed live through a board with reverb, etc. If you ever have the chance to go to a large show, and then get on stage after the show and hear the drums unmic'd, it will blow your mind.

except i hate how loud they make it! every single show ive been to, the drums and other loud sharp/loud instruments sound harsh. stevie wonder going up real high could sound much prettier if he was turned down a bit.

Another thing is that in a lot of recordings you can't hear the ringing of the drums so new drummers automatically think that it means that the drums are not supposed to sound like that, well it's not true they are supposed to sound like that and if you don't let them ring you won't be able to hear them at all in a band environment.

Hey speak yourselves!!! lol!!! I think i sound pretty damn good live, hehe!!!

except i hate how loud they make it! every single show ive been to, the drums and other loud sharp/loud instruments sound harsh. stevie wonder going up real high could sound much prettier if he was turned down a bit.

That's a good point. The problem is often that sound guys seem to want to get stadium sound out of a Fender Passport style system, so turn everything up. Sigh. Still, a well mixed mic'd drum kit will sound amazing.

That's a good point. The problem is often that sound guys seem to want to get stadium sound out of a Fender Passport style system, so turn everything up. Sigh. Still, a well mixed mic'd drum kit will sound amazing.

well, maybe that wont happen one show i go to, i can always hope.

Back