Double bass question

SeveringDozza

I'm right footed but when playing double bass I start with my left foot and have been doing it for a while now.

Is that right? Or should I be starting on my right foot?

Thanks.

I play left-footed, but my set is setup lefty anyways, but I'd imagine it doesn't matter which way you play, as long as it sounds good.

When i play 16th note singles i always lead with my left. That way, even if im on a single pedal, i can do double bass, because the hi hat is hitting first which sounds really cool.

The difference though is in 4/4 & 2-4 backbeat, what ever 8th, 16th or 32th double bass you're playing, you will always land your backbeat while you kick with your left foot while those starting on the right foot will land their backbeat on the right foot.

I'm right footed but when playing double bass I start with my left foot and have been doing it for a while now.

Thanks.
There is No right or wrong way to play if it works for you.
A lot of single bass players start rolls with their left foot because they are use to keeping time with the hi hat and you simply switch your foot to the bassdrum pedal without stopping the groove of the left foot.
PS I always start double bass shuffles with the left foot because I prefer the feel
Tim

I think if you are coordinated enough, it doesn't matter what foot you start with... as long as you are starting on that foot, purposefully.

Ginger Baker had a technique, where he "rode" the left bass drum, whilst "filling in" with the right. It created a lot of the hypnotic beats he used in his solos. It also creates interesting patterns and coordinative effects.

Thanks.

If I play a double bass beat, or short bursts I always start w/my right...................BUT if im doing fills around the kit; 2up 2down 4up 2down...and so on, I ALWAYS start w/my left. I have tried to start w/my right and then figured there is absolutely no difference in the sound around the kit, so why do it? So I have stuck w/what works for me. There is no wrong or right way IMO. The result is whats important.

If I play a double bass beat, or short bursts I always start w/my right...................BUT if im doing fills around the kit; 2up 2down 4up 2down...and so on, I ALWAYS start w/my left. I have tried to start w/my right and then figured there is absolutely no difference in the sound around the kit, so why do it? So I have stuck w/what works for me. There is no wrong or right way IMO. The result is whats important.

That sounds like a good way to approach it.

Back