Questionnaire: floor tom / snare / throne heights

bud7h4

Silver Member
Simple format:

1. what is your floor tom height relative to your seat
2. what is your floor tom height relative to your snare
3. do you consider you sitting position to be a. low, b. medium, or c. somewhat high d. high

"Medium" defined here as thighs parallel to floor.

Last edited:
1. My floor tom is typically ~2 inches above the top of my throne.

2. Though tilted in favor of my tradional style grip my snare and floor tom are set to the same height.

3. I sit somewhat high. As in my thighs tilt downward slightly rather than sit parallel to the ground.

1. My floor tom is typically ~2 inches above the top of my throne.

2. Though tilted in favor of my tradional style grip my snare and floor tom are set to the same height.

3. I sit somewhat high. As in my thighs tilt downward slightly rather than sit parallel to the ground.

DITTO - except for the traditional grip part.

Why the query?

1. My floor tom is typically ~4 inches above the top of my throne.

3. I sit somewhat medium for a short person but low for a tall person. It's all relative. As in my thighs tilt downward slightly rather than sit parallel to the ground.

1. My floor tom is typically ~ 5.5 inches above the top of my throne.

2. My snare and floor tom are set to the same height.

3. I also sit with my thighs tilting downward slightly rather than sit parallel to the ground.

I don't know how much my snare and floor tom are above my throne, but when I sit the snare comes exactly to where my hands would be if my throne had armrests. The floor tom is even with the snare, both slightly pitched towards me. I sit as low as my Roc-N-Soc goes, but being short my upper thighs are still parallel or just slightly angled.

My throne height is medium, with my floor toms about 3" above throne height, and my snare about 5" above throne height.

Although not asked for, I'm curious about how far everyone sits back from the snare. I have a 6-7" gap between me and the close edge of snare, but I've noticed a lot of guys that are really hugging close.

My throne height is medium, with my floor toms about 3" above throne height, and my snare about 5" above throne height.

Although not asked for, I'm curious about how far everyone sits back from the snare. I have a 6-7" gap between me and the close edge of snare, but I've noticed a lot of guys that are really hugging close.

I'm close, but not "hugging it with my nethers" close. I keep my snare throwoff between my legs (6 o'clock), and so there's about 8 inches between me and the snare to make that work.

I grappled with this question for YEARS! DECADES! I sit with my throne just above the point where my thighs are parallel with the ground, just slightly elevated. Then, if you were to take a straightedge and lay it across your rack toms pointing towards your throne, it would go right over your snare and wind up touching the seat of your throne right in the middle of it. my hi-hat is level with the outer rim of my first rack tom when closed, so that the rim does not interfere with access to it, and my snare is about an inch below my bellybutton when sitting. The floor-tom is level with the snare on the inside, slightly angled towards the snare. This seems to work for me.

My crash cymbals are all the same height at the mounting hole, measured from the floor, and my ride cymbal is not as high as those, but always the same height from the floor.

Back