jnonneman

I'm in the market for a 6.5 x 14 Ludwig Black Beauty. I'm not sure if I want to go new or try to find a good vintage (70's-80s era) model.

I have a few questions. I'm hoping that someone can help educate me.

Is it true that the older models were heavier than the new Black Beauty? 12 lbs vs 6 lbs. How does this effect the sound?

I see a vintage one posted on eBay, but the description mentions a "B" stamped under the muffler. (BTW the muffler is missing). Does this "B" refer to this being a B-stock drum (i.e. some defect in the manufacturing) or does it designate "brass" as the seller answered?

Any other concerns or considerations?

Thanks,
Jim

Myself, I would not call a 70's drum vintage, maybe classic?

This is a vintage black beauty, courtesy of Soul Drums in Toronto. This guy has a great collection on display in the store. (not for sale)

154ynp2.jpg

As per your question, latzanimal could probably answer better than I, the 12 pounder will be louder and heavier to carry I would think.

I hadn't heard about the 70s being drastically heavier. You're sure that's accurate? The 20s models are definitely heavier than the current drum; 2-piece shell welded at the bead and with sealed bearing edges. They're hands down the best snare drums I've ever played - but they're also extremely expensive.

I saw that same eBay listing where the drum was described as being 12lbs instead of six, and I have no idea where they're getting that from. All of the newer Black Beauties from the 70s forward were one-piece brass or bronze shells, and I'm not aware that any of those were so dramatically thick as to double the weight of the drum.

I also question that drum being from 1982. The Black Beauty disappeared from the Ludwig lineup after 1980, and I don't think a 1982 drum would have had the large keystone badge seen on the eBay drum. It would be nice to know of that badge reads "Chicago" or "Monroe," as that would definitely pin down when the drum was made.

It is possible that drum is a late 80s/early 90s bronze shell Black Beauty though, which is still a fairly collectible subset of Black Beauty snares.

The "B" stamp is used on brass and bronze shell drums, so that alone isn't always helpful determining if a BB is brass or bronze. It does not indicate B stock however.

If that drum was say a 30's BB 6/12 x 14,2 piece shell it might be close to 12 lbs,but the modern drums are 8 lbs 10 oz to around 10 lbs.

Do you want to play this drum or collect?The bronze drums are a little dryer than the brass ones.BB's were made in bronze from around 89 to 94,then the brass shell was brought back.So from reintroduction in 77 to around 81,they were brass

The B stock drums sound the same and only have minor cosmetic issues,and have B/O badges,so if its a player you want,thats the way to go...but its possible that in the future,the B stock drums will have their own collectable value.

Steve B

$585 and the reserve not met? PLUS $45 to ship?
It's just a drum from 80-82. Big deal.
Way too much if you ask me.
I just weighed my Bronze BB (ordered/bought in '89) and it came in at 9.6 lbs.

A SUPRA might weigh 6 lbs. but my Brass BB's weigh about as much as the Bronze.
MAYBE my Bronze weighed 12 lbs with the old UFO die cast hoops, but his can't be more than 10.

Some creative selling talk IMO.
Whatever, if someone buys it....

IMO, just buy a new one (with a P-86), or if you want Bronze, buy a Bronze drum.
The P-86 (Millennium) is a better strainer, and the new butt ends have drum key operated wire/strap tighteners.

Back