Where to find musicians to jam with? (Houston)

Antrim

I'm missing a 'classifieds' section, so I figured I would put it in here.

I've been trying for a while to form a rock band in Houston, without much luck. It may be because I'm too picky, but craigslist ain't cutting it for me. I'm 23, not a drummer, singer/guitarist/bassist and looking to start something in the classic/hard rock genres. You would think this is standard enough that it should be extremely easy to find people in a similar situation in a city as big as Houston, but after several months I haven't found anything. I didn't go to school here (which is where I made most of my contacts a few years ago when I lived in Europe) and I'm still new to the area, so I pretty much don't know any musicians and my only sources of connections are craigslist and bandmix (which I don't pay for, so I can only contact the very few people who leave their email in their profiles).

I'm posting here for two reasons: in case somebody from Houston is reading this and looking for the same, and so that you guys can give me some advice on how and where to meet drummers (and any other musicians, basically).

Thanks!

I'm missing a 'classifieds' section, so I figured I would put it in here.

I've been trying for a while to form a rock band in Houston, without much luck. It may be because I'm too picky, but craigslist ain't cutting it for me. I'm 23, not a drummer, singer/guitarist/bassist and looking to start something in the classic/hard rock genres. You would think this is standard enough that it should be extremely easy to find people in a similar situation in a city as big as Houston, but after several months I haven't found anything. I didn't go to school here (which is where I made most of my contacts a few years ago when I lived in Europe) and I'm still new to the area, so I pretty much don't know any musicians and my only sources of connections are craigslist and bandmix (which I don't pay for, so I can only contact the very few people who leave their email in their profiles).

I'm posting here for two reasons: in case somebody from Houston is reading this and looking for the same, and so that you guys can give me some advice on how and where to meet drummers (and any other musicians, basically).

Thanks!

have you tried open jams? They are usually around a few nights per week..

Jams are an ideal place to hear local talent, and they're easy to find using Google, and checking the local entertainment papers. I would think there are jams almost every night of the week. You can visit the local music & "record" stores and see if they have a bulletin board. Look for drummers available, local jams, and be sure to post your "drummer wanted" notice.

See if there are any Houston entertainment or music sites, and peruse those.

And join all of the various (free) musician networking sites you can. Not only post that you need a drummer, but check the drummers available as well.

With a few hours pounding the pavement and a few more in front of the computer, you should be able to connect with a dozen willing drummers within the week.

Bermuda

Back