Pork Pie Head choice

drumr07

Hey im new to the forums and i had a question.

I am picking up a pork pie little squealer 5x12 maple snare tomorrow from a friend. Its in awesome shape and has the factory heads top and bottom. My question is, as far as replacement heads go, whats the best for top and bottom on this snare. Im a big remo fan and thats really all ive ever had on my snares.

Im looking for a really nice crisp clean crack with a healthy but not to prominately long ring, i play all kinds of music and i really like the factory sound but i know alot more about top heads than bottoms so help please.

As far as bottom heads go i like alot of response and crispy poppy ghost notes

Ive played for almost 5 years but ive been out of practice lately and ive found some fellow muscians and im getting back into it.

Thanks

Can't go wrong with Coated Ambassador over Hazy Ambassador.

That'll give you all the snap, crackle and pop you'll ever need.

yea im looking at heads online right now, is it gonna be smooth white coated ambassador?

If you want a really poppy sound, try a Remo Smooth White Ambassador on batter with the Hazy Ambassador on bottom.

I have this on my snare and it has the greatest pop to it, i swear by this for my snares.

It has a little bit of ring, which you can dampen with a bit of tape, but I'm into ringy snares so it perfect for me.

i like a little bit of ring, you get that with the pork pies, its almost like a signature, lol, i just want that penatrating crack with i hit it, but controled poppy crispness at the soft end too. I started marching on snare before i ever had a set so when it comes to drums thats really my forte' lol, sounds like you know what you are talking about. i think ill give it a try.

Thanks

No problem. This combination should give you exactly what you're after really.
If not, Coated Ambassador should be on your next "To Try" list.

Enjoy!

the smooth white is coated....so says remo...lol

ill figure it out im sure

correction, theres 2 kinds, coated and not

we are good.

Remo makes their Smooth White line out of what would be a Coated head.
They are a Coated head without the coating essentially.

I'm guessing that's why they put it under their Coated section. haha.

yeah there is a coated smooth white ambassador head but theres also a whole smooth white section, all uncoated i presume, yea ive heard the coating comes off after just a few hours anyways, uncoated is prolly the ticket

yeah there is a coated smooth white ambassador head but theres also a whole smooth white section, all uncoated i presume, yea ive heard the coating comes off after just a few hours anyways, uncoated is prolly the ticket

Correct you are sir.

ok so i got the pork pie, took it completely apart, cleaned it, tuned it.

It has a Remo weatherking Emperor on it now and i got it cranked pretty good and all i have to say is....Damn, lol.

Its so responsive, i have the bottom head, which is the factory hazy, tuned for quick response and the snares not too tight at all with the top head feeling like a marching snare and it has the perfect sound, i think an ambassador will sound even better.

I had another question for you nimby, most remo hazys are 3mm mylar and very similar but their Diplomat head is 2mm, should i give this a try since i play with a really tight top head? It might increase sensitivity and response on the lower volume notes i think.

Thanks for the advice! i cant wait to record some stuff with it.

ok so i got the pork pie, took it completely apart, cleaned it, tuned it.

It has a Remo weatherking Emperor on it now and i got it cranked pretty good and all i have to say is....Damn, lol.

Its so responsive, i have the bottom head, which is the factory hazy, tuned for quick response and the snares not too tight at all with the top head feeling like a marching snare and it has the perfect sound, i think an ambassador will sound even better.

I had another question for you nimby, most remo hazys are 3mm mylar and very similar but their Diplomat head is 2mm, should i give this a try since i play with a really tight top head? It might increase sensitivity and response on the lower volume notes i think.

Thanks for the advice! i cant wait to record some stuff with it.

In theory it should create more sensitivity, but i don't think the difference would be incredibly huge from a Hazy Ambassador.

But then again, i have no experience with the Hazy Diplomat line so you could try it and
do a report back with your discoveries.
It's always good to experiment with new combo's, i find it very exciting haha.

Back