Sound Curve vs. Level 360

After reading the Heat Guns and Hair Dryers thread, I looked into the Level 360 design offered by Evans. As a long time Aquarian user, I would like to know how this compares to Aquarians Sound Curve design of heads. It does essentially the same thing from what I can tell, provide a non-wrinkled flat head surface that sits evenly on the bearing edges right out of the box, making tuning a snap. Has anyone done any comparisons between the two, and if so what did you find?

While it appears that both collar designs aim to achieve a similar goal, Level 360 offers the best possible fit on the widest range of drums, be it 1930's Leedy, 60's Gretsch, 80's Pearl World Series, or the latest and greatest Yamaha, DW, Tama, etc. The angle of our collar is the steepest out there and provides maximum surface area on the horizontal plane (playing surface) of the head. This design allows the head to behave similar to the design of timpani. This provides ease of tuning and maximum tuning range.

I appreciate the feedback, and I understand the idea behind the two designs and think that it is great. A head should fit on the drum properly and seat right out of the box. But what I am looking for is real world comparisons from drummers. Does one tune easier than the other? Does one stay in tune longer than the other? Does one have a greater tuning range than the other. This is what I am after. I can't afford to buy 2 full sets of new heads and do the comparison myself, I am a poor college student with a family, so buying drum gear is towards the bottom of the list. Also, I have been using Aquarian heads for almost 20 years and am not in a big hurry to jump ship.

I played Aquarian heads years ago as well as Remo so I can't give you a side by side with the current Aquarians vs Evans. Maybe try a couple of the new 360's out on just a couple drums and get a feel for them. I stay within the Evans range but experiment with new heads this way to save $$.

Maybe try a couple of the new 360's out on just a couple drums and get a feel for them. I stay within the Evans range but experiment with new heads this way to save $$.
This is a great approach. The best way to gauge the difference is to experience it for yourself.

Cheers!

Back