Practice Idea

Bipitta

I'm just throwing this out there to see what everyone thinks.

I'm trying to invigorate my creativity, I think this "may" work.

I've removed all of my toms, and have gone to simply a snare, bass, hi-hat, ride, and crash. I believe that this might just remove most of that temptation to mess around on the toms when I'm supposed to be practicing. Plus, it may just force me to come up with different ideas to keep things fresh.

So, I'm going to try it out regardless, but was wondering if anyone else has ever done this (and the results), or what anyone thinks of it!

Later

I'm just throwing this out there to see what everyone thinks.

I'm trying to invigorate my creativity, I think this "may" work.

I've removed all of my toms, and have gone to simply a snare, bass, hi-hat, ride, and crash. I believe that this might just remove most of that temptation to mess around on the toms when I'm supposed to be practicing. Plus, it may just force me to come up with different ideas to keep things fresh.

So, I'm going to try it out regardless, but was wondering if anyone else has ever done this (and the results), or what anyone thinks of it!

Later

Get rid of the crash too....now you can concentrate.

mixing up the kit in any way makes me think. after playing a small kit for a wile Ill set up a big kit. It is the same thing, it forces me to think about everything a little differently.

Have fun!

Save your time and put a magazine on the toms and forget about them.

Funny thing. I do this a lot.

I actually tend to gig like this: snare and kick, hats and ride. Sometimes I'll throw in one tom (usually a floor) but mostly just a small kit.

I really like the way it looks (makes me look groovier) and the way you can play with it is great.

Gives you a good excuse to work on brushwork/bringing out the most number of sounds from your kit.

I've done this in the past, it did seem to make a difference to the things I came up with. Restrictions always force you to be creative!

Yeh i've done the same as "oops", played a few gigs like that, mabey chuck a floor in there for a bit of spice. But yeh in general this can improve your playin no end.
It makes you think of other little breaks and fills using bare essentials, hats and snare . . and in turn this can help your grove as you incorporate these little things in. It certainly helped me and yeh it does look really smart when all is kept flat!

Give it a try for a few gigs and see what happens when your on the spot!

Get rid of the crash too....now you can concentrate.

Muckster, you're the man... good call! :)

Bipitta, with the minimal set-up you can bring in some brushes, tala wands, and mallets, and you'll have plenty o' sounds... and remember to use your snare throw-off now and then to toss-in some tom tones :)

Yep, focusing on bass-hats-snare is a lot of fun and can bring out some new ideas, plus just improve your competence on those essentials of almost all drumming. I've been doing that for a while. But the other day, I accidentally came across something similar but one that I hadn't heard about: try just removing your snare from the kit. It creates quite a disconcerting "hole" in your setup and forces you to really change things up. Note one to gig with, but certainly useful to play around with.

Good move..Take any 3 or 4 basic rudiments and play them in different combinations between the three.

There's a lifetime of practice ideas just in that.

Last edited:
Back