DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Where do all the drum sets go?

When people get new drums, Where do the old drum sets go? I mean what percentage of drums get thrown away? I don't know but I'm guessing a very small percentage. So are all the thousands of sets made each year going to new drummers? Are there that many new recruits every year? Will there ever be a saturation point?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Where do all the drum sets go?

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Scary Stuff ^^^^^.

About the drums - I've had some that were given the Viking Funeral:

Last edited by wildbill; 08-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Off to that Great Gig In The Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ
Old 04-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

In many cases, multiple vintage kits end up in personal collections, and essentially out of circulation. Those drummers may also buy new kits for playing, so every several years, they're customers, despite their often hefty arsenals.

But I would have to agree that sales suffer a little more each year due in part to the glut of newly manufactured drums in virtually every price range, and the fact that new drummers often get a used kit as a hand-me-down, or from ebay or Craigslist.

I have no idea what may become of the rare, vintage kits stashed away with Gary Asher, Randy Rainwater, Gary Bender, Bun E, me... If there isn't an upcoming generation or two with an interest in pre-1980 gear with its light harwdare and shallow bass drums, those now-valuable drums may just become 'old' drums again, and get tossed, re-finished, stripped for parts, or simply tossed out. :(

I'm gonna sell all my stuff while there are still some collector's around!

Bermuda
Old 04-01-2014, 02:47 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

I'm gonna sell all my stuff while there are still some collector's around!
Interesting thought. Vintage stuff can be had for a good price right now. So you are predicting vintage stuff to not increase?

Maybe in a hundred years it will be a sellers market for the now vintage stuff.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

there has to be a huge surplus of kits. way more produced than there are drummers of any given level. my only guess for modern sets is warehouses. for vintage it would appear many sets are getting cannibalized for parts. look on ebay, a nice set is sold as orphans or stripped for parts. its a shame.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder this as well. I imagine there are a TON of kits sitting in garages/attics/closets/storage units just collecting dust and/or mold. There are some collectors sitting on warehouses full of kits/snares/cymbals. With the over-saturation of $250 kits being listed on craigslist for $400+, I know where a BUNCH of them are right now.

I have seen some drums at the dump from time to time. Nothing worth salvaging--shells cracked, hardware completely rusted, cymbals bent to hell, etc. At least SOME percentage of them get thrown away, anyways...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Interesting thought. Vintage stuff can be had for a good price right now. So you are predicting vintage stuff to not increase?
It completely depends on the upcoming generations' desire for vintage gear. It wasn't long ago that old drums were just old drums. It's the generation from the oldies & classic rock eras that eventually began to prize vintage gear dating back to the '20s. But back in the '60s and '70s, nobody was yearning for vintage stuff.

I'm concerned that the younger generation - to whom we want to sell our prized, vintage items - won't put such a value on older gear.

Quote:
Maybe in a hundred years it will be a sellers market for the now vintage stuff.
That's a good thought, I'll stick around!

Bermuda
Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Just think, at one point in time or another each and every one of those kits were new. The collectors kits, the hand-me-downs, the continually recycled junk on CL. Every one of those kits was once shiny and new, and purchased lovingly buy someone.

I have the same thought about cars. Every single one was shiny and new. Just blows my mind to think how many cars there are, and how many there were. The number must be astronomical.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
It completely depends on the upcoming generations' desire for vintage gear. It wasn't long ago that old drums were just old drums. It's the generation from the oldies & classic rock eras that eventually began to prize vintage gear dating back to the '20s. But back in the '60s and '70s, nobody was yearning for vintage stuff.

I'm concerned that the younger generation - to whom we want to sell our prized, vintage items - won't put such a value on older gear.

That's a good thought, I'll stick around!

Bermuda
Bermuda, I LOVE Vintage gear! I'm 15 years old, And I love and appreciate vintage gear, Vintage Slingerland kits or vintage Luddy kits, and as for cymbals, Old K's from Istanbul are gems, Zildjian A's from the 50's 60's and 70's are beautiful, I own 15'" Hats from the 70's and a Very very light 1,660 grams 20" Zildjian A from the late 50's early 60's and love them both with all my heart, Vintage gear for life!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post

....I have the same thought about cars. Every single one was shiny and new. Just blows my mind to think how many cars there are, and how many there were. The number must be astronomical.

Cars, motorcycles, houses - probably every material good. Some get old and worn out. Some get hacked with 'improvements'.
Some are well preserved. Some have historical significance.
Some end up in museums, with collectors, or in the case of buildings are designated in a register as historic.

There's also over 20 million new people on the planet since the beginning of this year.
Probably a couple of them will show an interest in drums.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what may become of the rare, vintage kits stashed away with Gary Asher, Randy Rainwater, Gary Bender, Bun E, me... If there isn't an upcoming generation or two with an interest in pre-1980 gear with its light harwdare and shallow bass drums, those now-valuable drums may just become 'old' drums again, and get tossed, re-finished, stripped for parts, or simply tossed out. :(

Bermuda
I think most ofGary Asher's collection is for sale, at least of for the right price anyway. I sold him a few kits about 5 years ago but they were probably for his students.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummingAllNightLong View Post
Bermuda, I LOVE Vintage gear! I'm 15 years old, And I love and appreciate vintage gear, Vintage Slingerland kits or vintage Luddy kits, and as for cymbals, Old K's from Istanbul are gems, Zildjian A's from the 50's 60's and 70's are beautiful, I own 15'" Hats from the 70's and a Very very light 1,660 grams 20" Zildjian A from the late 50's early 60's and love them both with all my heart, Vintage gear for life!
Bravo! Good on ya. It took me half of your lifetime to acquire similar tastes that you already have in gear.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM

1) Keith Moon destroyed 50% of the kits ever made
2) Exploding drummers ignited 5%
3) Thieves steal 10% and wreck them on a joyride
4) 20% are stored in pawnshops
5) 15% are disguised as planters
6) the remaining 75% are owned by drummers who can't count
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummingAllNightLong View Post
Shh!! Don't tell him that!

We'll wait for him to have a mid-life crisis in a couple years and then score some sweet vintage pieces for cheap.

Yea...a Black Beauty you say? Never heard of it old timer... give you 50 bucks for it. Huh? Bunny Who? What the hell is a Mexican guy doing playing for Cheap Trick? Is that the "Mommas all right Daddys all right" band?

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 04-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

You guys are talking about drumsets in general. What about the Beatle-boom from the 60s? Ludwig itself working around-the-clock to crank out those black oyster pearl kits. Pro Drum in Hollywood couldn't keep enough of them in stock and had a separate warehouse for storage! Think of how many of those are languishing in basements and attics, or just plain fell apart because some were built badly due to the rush job of producing them all!

Personally, as big as the drum industry seems to be, I think it's rather small when you compare it to the LCD TV industry, or the computer industry, or the cel phone industry - and those things are designed to be discarded or broken within a five year period! The bigger question is, where do all these humans come from to buy this stuff? We have a surplus of humans!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
1) Keith Moon destroyed 50% of the kits ever made
2) Exploding drummers ignited 5%
3) Thieves steal 10% and wreck them on a joyride
4) 20% are stored in pawnshops
5) 15% are disguised as planters
6) the remaining 75% are owned by drummers who can't count
Don't forget those destroyed by the Spontaneous Combustion of Spinal Tap drummers. :-) Or is that part of the Exploding drummers metric?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
... the cel phone industry ...
The mouse would be proud of you, Bo!

As for the value of classic gear...here's a parallel:

In the world of classic cars, there seems to be a moving blip that coincides with groups hitting their 40's - 50's. Typically this is the stage of life where people can afford some luxuries. And if you're a car guy, that means buying the kinds of cars that were on posters when you were a kid. What seems to happen is that as that age cohort ages past the stage when they can continue to enjoy the cars that they lusted after, those cars drop in value. For reasons that don't belong in a drum forum, it's not a perfect model, but I think it may fit with what we see people doing now.

In other words, late 70's/early 80's kits should be at their peak of popularity round about now.

How does that prediction fit with what market watchers see out there?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

In the world of classic cars, there seems to be a moving blip that coincides with groups hitting their 40's - 50's. Typically this is the stage of life where people can afford some luxuries. And if you're a car guy, that means buying the kinds of cars that were on posters when you were a kid. What seems to happen is that as that age cohort ages past the stage when they can continue to enjoy the cars that they lusted after, those cars drop in value. For reasons that don't belong in a drum forum, it's not a perfect model, but I think it may fit with what we see people doing now.

In other words, late 70's/early 80's kits should be at their peak of popularity round about now.

I think you're spot on there.

A weird parallel to that is a Stewart Copeland interview who said he's in this window where he's getting hired to do soundtracks because the people in charge were teens when the Police were huge, and are even bigger fans of his. And he knows as those people age out of their decision making posts to be replaced with a generation influenced by Nirvana, he'll have a harder time getting work ;)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Refugee from the guitar world who is also into vintage drums here.

Since I started playing drums, I've observed with interest the differences and similarities between the vintage guitar scene and the vintage drum counterpart.

For instance, one of the more popular guitar magazines is Vintage Guitar. Can you imagine a relatively thick monthly newsstand magazine on vintage drums?

In the guitar world, it is common for famous touring and recording guitarists to use nothing but instruments made 50 years ago, both electric guitars and amplifiers.

How many famous drummers tour with vintage kits? I can't name one. Maybe one will use a vintage snare, but usually not the rest of the set.

So there is not the fetishization of vintage instruments in the drum world that there is in the guitar world.

With instruments, we are usually influenced by what our heroes play. How many current drum heroes play vintage kits?

I play a 1968 Slingerland kit with a 1957 Ludwig snare. I became interested in Slingerland drums because I love Gene Krupa and want a bit of that history. My kit also came with a COB Super Krupa.

My kit needed work to make it presentable (although the blue agate wrap is intact and in decent shape), work that I am not even now finished with, but I grabbed this 5-piece for $350, and that was in the San Francisco Bay Area, not known for a lack of population density. An electric guitar in similar condition and age would be at least 10X that.

It would take a major drumming star to play and extol the virtues of vintage drums for a shift to happen.

In the guitar world, the classic rockers loved their old Stratocasters and Les Pauls. Those were the top axes to have until suddenly, Ed Van Halen opened the door with his parts guitar made from factory seconds and bicycle paint. Then parts guitars were all the rage for several years.

The next door that opened was when Nirvana hit, and Kurt Cobain used old student model Fenders because he could get left-handed ones at a reasonable price and so old Mustangs and Jaguars started to be hip, too. Indie rockers wanted something that would visually distinguish us from the classic rockers with their Strats, Teles, SG's, and Les Pauls, so I used '60's Epiphone Coronets in the '90's.

Even cheapo Japanese guitars from the 60's are collectible. I probably could not find a '60's Teisco Del Rey for what I paid for the Slingy kit. Part of the appeal for those is that expertise and information about setting up a guitar for playability is much greater than it was when those guitars were new, so they can be set up to play quite nicely and they look cool, too.

I've seen some of this with older Japanese drums, where people now know how to dress the bearing edges and tune the drums so that they now sound better than they ever did when they were new and in the hands of inexperienced players.

Drum companies seem to be more aggressive about sponsorship and endorsement deals. It looks to me that by the time any up-and-coming band gets as far as a network TV or major festival appearance, they get a new drumset from DW or Ludwig and happily switch from whatever they were using before.

Having brought my vintage appreciation with me from the guitar world, I watch keenly for any media appearance of older drum sets, and they just aren't there.

When I was in Anaheim this year at NAMM, though, there was a guy at Downtown Disney playing a red-white-and-blue glitter Rogers kit, with the same Supreme hi hat stand I use, and an older radius rod single chain DW5000 pedal like mine to boot. My MAN! I wanted to stick around until break to compliment him, but was dead on my feet from the trade show and needed to go lie down.

Anyway, I've asked myself what makes drums inherently different as far as this goes, and I think the answer is that wood lamination technology in musical instrument applications has been ever advancing so that shells can be thinner, stiffer, and therefore lighter and more resonant than ever before. Also manufacturing technology in general, and greater understanding of things like bearing edges, which are so critical in the tone of a drum, and seemingly only recently understood. Drum technology is still evolving quickly, whereas basic electric guitar technology hit a peak about 60 years ago and everything since has been add-on accessories, like pickups, tuners, and vibratos, and exotic materials that only ever find a niche market.

Drums, too, literally take a beating, and whereas road wear patina is cool on a guitar, to the point where guitar makers actually deliberately add it, charge more, and call it "relicing," even I don't like my drums to have scratches and corroded metal parts.

Also, and this may be a point of great contention, how different is the intrinsic tone of a given drum vs. a cheaper or more expensive one of similar construction? Do drummers care about aged, dried out wood, old pickups, nitro finishes that let the wood "breathe?"
Does that even improve the tone of a drum? They seem to care more about the very latest tom mounts that will contact the shell as little as possible, and poly finishes that will look good and shiny under the lights and stand up to loading in and out. Brand new heads and skilled tuning have a lot to do with good drum tone. Any guitar player can tune their instrument perfectly with a $10 tuner, but I've been working at drum tuning for a year and a half and it still confounds me at times.

My suspicion is that eventually there will be an appreciation for vintage drums echoing that for guitars, but it will be slower in coming.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Shh!! Don't tell him that!

We'll wait for him to have a mid-life crisis in a couple years and then score some sweet vintage pieces for cheap.

Yea...a Black Beauty you say? Never heard of it old timer... give you 50 bucks for it. Huh? Bunny Who? What the hell is a Mexican guy doing playing for Cheap Trick? Is that the "Mommas all right Daddys all right" band?
Funny. Bermuda went on record last year I believe as stating when his birthday cake has 65 candles on it the vintage kits will be on the auction block. I'm waiting :)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Great post Starship. However....In the case of 50's and 60's guitars, compared to 50's and 60's drums....the guitars were very roadworthy. The hardware on the 50's and 60's drums were designed by depression era people and they used just barely enough material to make something work. The old hardware sucked and drums from the 50's and 60's....assuming original hardware, were not very practical being torn down every night. I think that is one big reason that you rarely see vintage kits from your heros. Plus with players at that high of a level....they're all taken care of with new equipment from the companies they endorse. So I don't know that you can do direct comparisons between vintage guitars and drums.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Krupa View Post

How many famous drummers tour with vintage kits? I can't name one. Maybe one will use a vintage snare, but usually not the rest of the set.

JP Gaster
Charlie Watts
Brian Blade
Pat Wilson
Jon Thoedore
Jay Bellrose
Bun E Carlos
Stanton Moore
Billy Martin
Dan Magnusson
Fred Eltringham
Jim Bogios
Darren Jesse
Andrew Borger
Daniel Glass
Jeff "Houseman" Clemens
Griffin Goldsmith
Todd Roper
Ryan Hoyle
Steve Frothinham
Matt Chamberlain
Jim Bonfanti

.... are all guys who either have in the past or still currently tour with vintage kits

there are hundreds more but this was off the top of my head

EDIT: hey SunDog ... hows that for name dropping ???

:)

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 04-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM

That's a really good question that I've never thought about. It's like cars, I suppose. I know they do get scrapped, but they seem to produce them so fast. Where do they all go?!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have 8 drum sets. Soon to be 7. Two are on indefinite loan being used. I keep 2 set up in my studio, I have 3 kits at home that aren't set up (donating one kit in May to a student), plus I keep my gig kit packed and ready to go in my van.

Seven kits are way too many for me anyway, so if I get anything new (In-Tense) I will shed some kits. Four is all I need, 2 in the studio, 1 packed for gigs, and a spare set to leave at someone's practice space.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
JP Gaster
Charlie Watts
Brian Blade
Pat Wilson
Jon Thoedore
Jay Bellrose
Bun E Carlos
Stanton Moore
Billy Martin
Dan Magnusson
Fred Eltringham
Jim Bogios
Darren Jesse
Andrew Borger
Daniel Glass
Jeff "Houseman" Clemens
Griffin Goldsmith
Todd Roper
Ryan Hoyle
Steve Frothinham
Matt Chamberlain
Jim Bonfanti

.... are all guys who either have in the past or still currently tour with vintage kits

EDIT: hey SunDog ... hows that for name dropping ???

:)
Don't you also run around to gigs with a round badge?

I played a gig down in socal with a band called "space bath". Their drummer was cool, very unorthodox playing style, and he had a sick little Pink-pearl-wrapped Rogers kit that had some clear wear and tear, but sounded great.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 PM

I keep looking for all the big 7-9-10 pc. double bass kits that were sold in the 70's-90's. They seem to never show up on CL or at GC or a local drum shop. I guess most of them have been hacked down to smaller kits and that's one of the reason I find so many odd drums on ebay...
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Don't you also run around to gigs with a round badge?

I played a gig down in socal with a band called "space bath". Their drummer was cool, very unorthodox playing style, and he had a sick little Pink-pearl-wrapped Rogers kit that had some clear wear and tear, but sounded great.

I pick and choose the gigs I use the '66 on

but yeah she comes out occasionally when the situation both musical and venue is right
Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

From my point of view, the definition of vintage drums has changed very little in 25 years.

In the late 80's, vintage drums were 1969 and earlier.
Today, pretty much the same thing. 1969 and earlier.
Some early/mid 70's has come into fashion as vintage, Particularly Bonham style (or related) Ludwig kits.

Outside of Tama Superstars and early Yamhama 9000 (aka Recording Custom) series, nothing late 70's or early 80's is really considerable collectible. And even then, Superstars usually sell cheap, and early Yamaha's aren't all that collectable because they made them the same way (abet with some altercations) up until last year. None of it sells at a premium the way a 1960-something Ludwig will.

The late 70's and 80's American kits were generally considered a low point in quality control, while the Asian makers churned out kits in very high volumes.

The other aspect is supply. In the 50s/60's, so many kits got trashed. Bottom heads were removed, the hoops got list. Bands toured with the drums stacked in the back of the van with no cases. Drums got trashed because no one thought one day they might collectible. By the time the 80's rolled around, people started to catch on to using cases, and taking care of their drums. So many, many more survived.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Anyhow, I've never wondered where the vintage kits go, but where do all those entry-mid level kits go?

Millions of various entry level kits, Pearl Exports, Tama Swingstar/ Rockstars, and equivalents have been sold.

Those that stick with drumming often sell them off to upgrade. Some give up drums and sell them. Obviously, some just keep them. But there existence doesn't stem the tide of entry level sales. In fact, more and more companies have gotten into the game.

There have to be millions of entry/intermediate level drum kit floating around out there.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:

In the guitar world, it is common for famous touring and recording guitarists to use nothing but instruments made 50 years ago, both electric guitars and amplifiers.

I thought famous touring drummers sponsored by a drum company don't carry drums around. Each city they play in, a drum set in the exact configuration they've specified is delivered to them (what is the term, backline?) So given the rarity of vintage kits, a drummer would wind up using something widely available instead.

If DW didn't make DW Classics I suspect Daniel Glass would be touring with a vintage kit, but yeah, I can't think of any notable drummers who use vintage gear live. The punishment a touring kit takes might make that unwise anyway.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Anyhow, I've never wondered where the vintage kits go, but where do all those entry-mid level kits go?

There have to be millions of entry/intermediate level drum kit floating around out there.
I'm sure a ton of them are sitting in classrooms and rehearsal spaces. I went to a music festival where they clearly store a couple of cheapo drum kits for the visiting artists to use. I'm guessing the kits break and it's easier to just buy a whole new kit than to try to replace individual drums since the whole kit is so cheap.

For fun, and being nerdy, I looked up some drum companies and tried to deduce how many kits they sold. Hard to do. So let's try to estimate. About 7% of Yamaha's revenue in 2010 was from "String and percussion" which apparently includes guitar. 15% of their overall sales was in North America. Their sales of musical instruments were 276 billion yen, or about 2.8 billion dollars. So 15% of 7% of 2.8 billion is 29.4 million dollars in North American sales for string and percussion instruments. Assume half are guitars and half are drums, and you get about 15 million dollars a year in drum sales. If the average kit sold is about $750 (wild ass guess) that's 20,000 kits a year; it would take 50 years of sales at 2010 levels for Yamaha to sell a million kits! If all the drum companies combined they probably wouldn't equal more than 3-5 Yamahas in sales, so there would probably be a few million kits floating around the US right now ... if none ever broke or were thrown away.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
I thought famous touring drummers sponsored by a drum company don't carry drums around. Each city they play in, a drum set in the exact configuration they've specified is delivered to them (what is the term, backline?) So given the rarity of vintage kits, a drummer would wind up using something widely available instead.
this is is not the case at all.... or at least very very rarely does a drummer not travel with his gear under certain circumstances

and many drummers tour with vintage kits

see my earlier post

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 04-01-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
JP Gaster
Charlie Watts
Brian Blade
Pat Wilson
Jon Thoedore
Jay Bellrose
Bun E Carlos
Stanton Moore
Billy Martin
Dan Magnusson
Fred Eltringham
Jim Bogios
Darren Jesse
Andrew Borger
Daniel Glass
Jeff "Houseman" Clemens
Griffin Goldsmith
Todd Roper
Ryan Hoyle
Steve Frothinham
Matt Chamberlain
Jim Bonfanti

Woo-hoo! Glad to hear it! I'll have to check these people out. Of course I know who some of them are, but didn't know they were touring vintage kits. Love Darren Jessee. I once flew down to LA just to see Ben Folds Five because they were skipping the San Francisco area. That was long before I became interested in drum gear.

And, really, off the top of your head? Dang!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 PM

As the father of a daughter who is a middle school/high school band director in a poor school district I would ask that all of you consider donating any type of drums, gear to a local school music department (if they will take them). I have done this on numerous occasions to help out the band, individual students, etc.

By the way, not just drums..if you know anyone who has any instruments gathering dust, pass this idea along..I have gotten all sorts of good used instruments donated over the past few years..a lot of them sitting in closets in parent's homes.

Christian Drummers Army
Old 04-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
How many famous drummers tour with vintage kits?
That's because, with a drum key and a good ear, drums are just drums. The newer ones are more durable. Cymbals are another matter.

And, SOGdrummer, I did that once and, within 6 mo.'s, they were match sticks. Still a,good idea, though. Someone would get to play them for a while.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

FWIW, a lot of those guitarists touring with "vintage" guitars aren't really. They have copies made that they can tour with and not freak out about. Page doesn't tour with a '59 Les Paul. In fact the guitar he tours with wasn't even made by Gibson. There are a few folks like Steve Kimock or Robben Ford who tour with older instruments, but they aren't doing the long grinds that the arena/shed bands do. The Becks and Claptons have things made from them that they choose a #1 or back up from and if something happens to their favorite, they get some more made and pick a primary from there. And guitars are much more affected by the variability of wood than drums are.