Drumming in the pre digital age.

Uncle Larry,

This is my favorite of all your accomplishments:
Christmas 1967. I was 9.

Next Christmas, 1968... I was 10.

In September 1984 at age 24

How did you pull that off? :)

I ask because I started life 2 years younger than you but somehow caught up to you by 1984 :)

Boy I remember the days pre-digital. I am trying to think of something that is not better now compared to pre-digital. Maybe too much info? Nah
Ok, maybe seeing so many fantastic drummers that are ever so much better than I ever was or will be!

someone mention the drum shops but I still get a chance ot talk drums whenever I go to one of several stores I shop at.

Things I like better now.

Easier to find tabs or sheet music by far!
Video and written reviews readily available.
Technique videos and advice I personally can get from professional drummers I would otherwise never meet!
Gear shopping.
Videos of the actual artists themselves.
Being on this forum, the best forum for any topic I have ever encountered, by a long shot!
Download a song immediately.
Record myself with my phone! what?!?!?!

And I get to hear my home state accent on Larry's vibraphone videos! ;-)

Uncle Larry,

This is my favorite of all your accomplishments:

How did you pull that off? :)

I ask because I started life 2 years younger than you but somehow caught up to you by 1984 :)

There's 2 ways this can happen:

It's all about being in complete control of the time. I like living slightly ahead of the calendar.

Or,

You caught me being stupid.

Which is more likely?

Yea, B lol.

I've participated in a couple of hobbies pre-web and one pre-digital. When I returned to both in recent years, I was amazed at the tooling, availability of information, etc.

The Pre-Digital:

I found a drum teacher around 1970 through a weekly throw away called a "Pennysaver". He came to my apartment (yup I played drums in an apartment, I feel sorry now for my neighbors), all I remember is that he used to time me doing the rudiments off of his wrist watch. We recorded the times in a notebook. One week he brought a new watch and all my times were slower. I can't remember why (maybe this was a digital watch), but it felt like I somehow slowed down.

The next guy I must have found through the same weekly and he used to bring a portable keyboard and the end of every lesson was him vamping a little on it in various styles and me playing. That was my only experience ever playing with anybody for a long time.

I then finally tripped across another teacher, this guy I thought was a superstar, he only taught in is house, in his basement, where he had 2 sets setup and a stereo so we could play to music. I thought this guy was the bomb because:
1. His drum set looked just like Carl Palmer's from the ELP live album
2. He would play Tarkus sped up to 45RPM

I also remember thinking that I would surely not need a metronome after a few weeks, because my timing was so good, but this "superstar" guy made me use one everyday. Since I only really knew 2 other drummers in my life, I somehow didn't know that metronome use was normal.

Ah, the good old days of isolation :)

Back