Tony Williams

Actually, I may record "Fred" with Allan and Jimmy Johnson (after our next tour soon) for inclusion on my next electric album. Funny this question came up.

We play it at the moment, live, but I don't play the same double tempo hi-hat jazz beat with half time rock kick and snare - the Tony beat. I never like to play the same thing, and particularly since it's Tony I think of it as a tribute to him that I don't. I'm not sure what Chad Wackerman plays for the song. Maybe he's nearer to it, I don't know.

Sorry to be no help to you here. It's quite a tough beat to replicate though, Tony's version. I once tried to play that beat to myself, the way I think he does it and it's defintely not easy!

Good luck.

GH

Actually, I may record "Fred" with Allan and Jimmy Johnson (after our next tour soon) for inclusion on my next electric album. Funny this question came up.

GH
Hi Gary
Great to see your post and I just wanted to say that I am a long time admirer of your work.
I'd love to hear your version of 'Fred' so please do keep us posted on that!

Hi Gary
Great to see your post and I just wanted to say that I am a long time admirer of your work.
I'd love to hear your version of 'Fred' so please do keep us posted on that!

Hi Cuban,

Thanks a lot for your input here, much appreciate your words.

Keep in touch via the sticky thread under my name above - I'll announce all recordings and such like there etc.

Very best wishes.

GH

Gary, Thanks for replying to my post. I admire and respect your playing and really appreciate your candid response. Tony's version is really intense and I will keep searching for help with it. That sort of "lilting" feel he has really carries it along and is soooo hard to replicate. I think what I've seen you do live works well and I look forward to your next recordings.

**Note to all: IMHO we are all very fortunate to have people like Gary and countless others on this forum that generously and respectfully give us their opinions, advice, and support. Instead of "guarding secrets" or using "smoke and mirrors" to keep us in awe, these folks really do want us to become better musicians by inspiring us with their talent, selflessness, and hard work.

Thanks again,

Jiva

Can anyone suggest any good LATER tony williams? I've got 2 albums, Million Dollar Legs, and Wilderness (all-star cast, metheny, hancock, brecker)...

I'm just not that impressed, I loved his earlier stuff, but I can't really get into this that much. I'm not sure if it's the style, but it just doesn't bite me as much.

Can anyone suggest any good LATER tony williams? I've got 2 albums, Million Dollar Legs, and Wilderness (all-star cast, metheny, hancock, brecker)...

I'm just not that impressed, I loved his earlier stuff, but I can't really get into this that much. I'm not sure if it's the style, but it just doesn't bite me as much.

Sure. "Story of Neptune" or "Tokyo Live". Both with his quintet.

Both great later period Tony offerings. Search them out and find them and fill your boots.....

Tony williams is one of my favorite drummer's. His band is great and he's real good with Herbie Hancock as well. He is real good in Head Hunters and Empyrean Isle

John Riley here:

Check out his concert video "Live in New York" from 1990 on released by BlueNote.

John, I can't seem to locate this DVD anywhere. Do you know of any online shops selling it?

Thanks,
Paul

Sorry, I do not know where you can purchase Tony Williams Live in New York, try contacting BlueNote.

Good luck,

John

Just listening to "Nefertiti" by miles, and the song hand jive my tony himself. He gives that track a real solid, powering beat. Always seems to be pushing the time, his ride cymbal notes are all very squashed together, not spaced out ( which they could be)....really shows his style this album, always pushing it, cool stuff. But not a lot of swing, really shows you how great of a rock drummer he was! I know that at a certain speed, the swing does start to dissapear, but listening to some fast stuff by coltrane and elvin keeps the swing at fast tempos, like giant steps

his ride cymbal notes are all very squashed together, not spaced out ( which they could be)....but listening to some fast stuff by coltrane and elvin keeps the swing at fast tempos, like giant steps
I can't say I really agree with that assessment (that Elvin is swinging at a similar fast tempo unlike Tony), but also, what I really care about is whether something grooves rather than swings. Having to "swing" in this context I see as more of a purist concern.

I can't say I really agree with that assessment (that Elvin is swinging at a similar fast tempo unlike Tony), but also, what I really care about is whether something grooves rather than swings. Having to "swing" in this context I see as more of a purist concern.

Well if you're looking at something in context and the context is a form of swing based based music it sure is nice when it "swings" like hell either at the hands of Tony or Elvin or others.

You can't just say well it grooves without taking a serious look and understanding of the context {and content} of the swing elements in the mix in this type of jazz based setting to this jazz veteran player's ears.

Lots of things can groove but not all of them can swing or be called swing based in its conceptual content on a case by case basis. Makes sense? Does to me....

Oh and Tony is swinging like crazy on Nefertiti or on the uptempo track Hand Jive just as much as Elvin does on with Coltrane on many of the live recordings at these burning tempos...all fits perfectly into the core conceptual roots and elements of swing based drumming and music. A different conceptual approach to uptempo swing by each drummer...yes...but the core elements of "swing" is still there in spades on both counts though.

Last edited:
Oh and Tony is swinging like crazy on Nefertiti or on the uptempo track Hand Jive just as much as Elvin does on Giant Steps at these burning tempos...all fits perfectly into the core conceptual roots and elements of swing based drumming and music. A different conceptual approach to uptempo swing by each drummer...yes...but the core elements of "swing" is still there in spades on both counts though.

have to say I agree with you there. Tony's playing is super hot on that record....i think i waas thrown a bit by the different feels of the music. One one hand it doesnt really swing that much for me, but then on the other, it is a beautiful flowing feel that tony gives. Maybe he is just pushing the tempo? Which is kind of a trademark of his, and the opposite in elvin's case. But yeah, still "swinging"

Back