Counting off the song w/banter

I played in a cover band once where the singer, and I guess leader of the band, really could not take a hint neither from the audience or us. We were not very successful and this would be the main reason IMO.

It was more about his trip, doing exactly what he wanted to do, reliving his childhood or whatever. The talking could go on and on and on. Not very interested in adding tunes or removing ones that never worked. Lazy and self absorbed.

Leaders or any type of front figure that refuses to either get with the times or be willing to change things that clearly isn't working for the audience, thus not helping the business is nothing new.

It can work in many ways, though. Some bands need that shit, but on average it is unprofessional. It's like giving a presentation at any other job without preparing. Sometimes you have to let things go and solve things in the moment, but that shouldn't be what you have to live with all the time.

If you are in the right I wish you luck. If it's the right type of primadonna it's almost impossible to get through to them. Different priorities. They want to be rock stars, the band wants to work and please the employer. Even if there are 5 horny girls in the front diggin this dude, that doesn't mean everyone is happy. People vote with their money and attendance. If you don't get a crowd, if they don't sell beer, you won't get called back. You might be able to negotiate for one more chance if there were other factors involved like bad promotion, other things happening, bad weather etc.. but you are there to make profit for the venue, so you get called back and may be able to get better paid next time.

Back