Recording with triggers (Help)

smiley32

Hey guys have a question I hope you can help with. I am wanting to record my drums through a zoom r16 with ddrum triggers for kick, toms, and snare. I will run the triggers through a yamaha module. My question is would I just record all five triggers to the same track on the recorder? I know when I mic my drums I use a seperate input for each mic. But with a module I dont see how that is possible. Any help would be great. Also I am using a tama acoustic kit.

I assume your module has a stereo left/right outputs so you could easily split them into two different tracks.

If you feel the need to have everything on separate tracks you could just record multiple times. If your module has a USB out, you may be able to utilize that.

Thanks for the reply My module doesent have usb but i do have the stereo jacks I am just so used to micing my kit with multiple mics that using one or two tracks seems strange. Have you had any experience recording drums this way? If so how did it turn out?

A common way to multitrack is to use the midi output on the Yamaha module, and then use software to render the midi afterwards.

Thanks for the reply My module doesent have usb but i do have the stereo jacks I am just so used to micing my kit with multiple mics that using one or two tracks seems strange. Have you had any experience recording drums this way? If so how did it turn out?

I just get the mix I want thru the module and put it on one track.

Cool. That is what I am going to try. Putting it on one track is the easiset thing I can do for now. I dont have any drum software. And I am not sure how to use the midi out on the module. I am really not sure what the midi out even does,

Back