Mike Mangini" Drum

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Mike Mangini's Dream Theater kit courtesy of Pearl Drums.

Attachments

• AYHz14RCEAARYdn.jpg
    AYHz14RCEAARYdn.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 35,942
I can understand the symmetrical kit, but why 4 bassdrums?

Ridiculous... I imagine it'll attract some eyeballs in the audience though

4 Kick drums? Really? I don't think I would like sitting at that kit. I'd feel a bit claustrophobic I think.

I can understand the symmetrical kit, but why 4 bassdrums?

He has six, actually. He has two electronic kick pads too.

His reasoning is that they're three different sizes. Two 22" kicks as his main ones, then an 18" (or 20"?) to his far right and a 26" to his far left, for different sounds. His electronic pads can obviously be set to trigger any sound imaginable.

Basically, I think he just wanted a kit that would allow him to play just about anything that he could dream up, while keeping with his general ambidextrous style. It's a massive kit, but if anyone has the skills to use it all it would be Mangini.

That's re-diculous. I like being able to see what the drummer is doing. He's too covered up.

I think having a huge drum set like that takes away from style and finesse...
I see it with Neil Peart too... Both Mangini and Peart are worlds beyond my playing and don't get me wrong, they're awesome... But it's not quite as fantastic to watch as Buddy Rich playing a 5-piece kit for some reason.
I guess you can construct a million fills just by hitting 15 different pitched toms and whatnot, but it's more impressive to watch a thousand different fills on 3 toms and it takes more creativity to not do the same fill you just played.

Also, on the link Naigewron posted there's a video of him doing the first solo and his bass drums sound quiet and not like 22" bass drums should. is that the mix or did he do something to them?

I think it's odd/interesting he has everything either very high or very low.

And while I get what he is trying to do with the 4 bass drums, the fact is with the size venues DT plays, by the time it's mic-ed and run through the PA, I seriously doubt the average person in the audience is going to be able to tell which bass drum he is hitting.

Thanks Naige...you're right , it's a little better.

I don't know why but the more drums there are, the less I like it. Too much over the top. The extra sounds don't do anything for me. It's the rhythm I'm interested in, not how many different sounds. Rhythm takes a back seat to the different sounds and visual impact. That's where he loses me. I don't care if you have 47 things to hit, give me a compelling rhythm with all that stuff! He had some nice moments for sure, but nothing rhythm-wise that sustained long enough IMO. His bass drums in that vid from Moscow sound like finger snaps on my little laptop speakers, really bad. Sorry Mike, gotta call em like I see em.

It's just too much bling and wow for me. I am more impressed when someone makes a 4 piece kit sound huge. It's much easier to make a huge kit sound huge lol.

1st...It's free. If pearl said sure, take whatever you want, your in D.T. you wouldnt?
2nd If anyone can play a kit like that its M.M. or Terry Bozzio.
3rd most of the posts I've read in this thread sound like a bunch old woman jealous of the young chick who got the prince. sayin...
4th be happy for the guy who gets to set it up every night. talk about job security.

P.S. Neil Peart has more style and finesse now then he ever did, and his kit is bigger.
Jojo Mayer is GOD.

1st...It's free. If pearl said sure, take whatever you want, your in D.T. you wouldnt?
Probably not

2nd If anyone can play a kit like that its M.M. or Terry Bozzio.
Thats for sure! And Cobham..or Chris Coleman, or Eric Moore.. or Gergo Borlai...

3rd most of the posts I've read in this thread sound like a bunch old woman jealous of the young chick who got the prince. sayin...
Sometimes old women dont want what the young chicks need..

4th be happy for the guy who gets to set it up every night. talk about job security.
Thrilled for Mangini! He wanted it bad, and he stepped up and got it! Give the man all the octobans he wants, I say!

P.S. Neil Peart has more style and finesse now then he ever did, and his kit is bigger.
Hmmm.. I'll stay away from this one. Sticks4Drums is gonna come after me with a stick..

Jojo Mayer is GOD.
Yes. the God of technique.

even if the kit wasnt free, I dout that M.M. payed for it. please correct me if I'm wrong ( I know you will. hehehe )

and yes I got the point of the answer to #1 ( at least you could sell it on ebay...oh, but you would'nt have to because you were in D.T:)

I agree with every thing else.
Here's to the OCTOBANS !!!

Also, on the link Naigewron posted there's a video of him doing the first solo and his bass drums sound quiet and not like 22" bass drums should. is that the mix or did he do something to them?[/QUOTE]

WOW

Do you really think what you hear on a concert goers crappy video recording is what the crowd and/or sound guy and/or the drum tech and/or M.M. actually had those drums tuned to and/or heard/played?
WOW...
I love this web site and all the insight that comes with it, but really?... really?
please , i'll have what he's haveing...it might help with the way I feel about most modern music. If you can call it that.

WOW

Do you really think what you hear on a concert goers crappy video recording is what the crowd and/or sound guy and/or the drum tech and/or M.M. actually had those drums tuned to and/or heard/played?

I think he was referring to the first link I posted, which leads to Pearl's little site dedicated to that kit.

Back