Electro-Voice (EV) Drum Mic Pack. Help?

WarmThud

I know this has been covered before, but I thought I would ask one last time to see if anyone has hands on experience with them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-pl-dk5-drum-mic-pack/272225000000000

Was $459.99 Sale $129.99

This seems like a super deal. Even if nobody has experience with these specific ones, how do the Specs of these mics look? Will these mics be good for a Open, warm sounds? Even Jazz? Or will they only do a super-attack deep metal sound?

Will these sound like SM57's?

I heard these are "Hot" mics. I know that means they have more gain ect. but what does that mean for the tonality (for drum micing)?

I'm a little desperate right now because it looks like they might sell out any moment. Thanks!

I have never used the microphones in this particular pack, although Electrovoice is a well established company and I do own dozens of other microphones made by them. As for them sounding like Shure SM57s, I very much doubt it, I never heard any microphone sound like an SM 57, although an Audix I5 have similar characteristics. Being a hot microphone just means that it will take less gain to get it to a signal lever of a less sensitive microphone, it shouldn't change the tonality of what it's pointing at, lol. For the price, I would say take a chance on them.

Dennis

Wow! Just go & buy them right now. If, for some strange reason, you don't like them, I'll buy them from you! (in fact, seriously, do me a favour, buy me a set anyhow, & I'll shoot you the money). I've no experience of the PL33, but I have loads of experience live with the PL35's. They are my preferred live mic at almost any price. Very transparent (i.e. don't colour the sound too much) yet dialled in perfectly for toms & snare. hypercardoid, so off axis rejection is superb. They're rugged, well manufactured, compact, & the rim clips with them work very well on triple flange & cast hoops.

Seriously, don't hesitate, & I absolutely stand by my offer to buy them from you if they're not to your taste.

Wow! Just go & buy them right now. If, for some strange reason, you don't like them, I'll buy them from you! (in fact, seriously, do me a favour, buy me a set anyhow, & I'll shoot you the money). I've no experience of the PL33, but I have loads of experience live with the PL35's. They are my preferred live mic at almost any price. Very transparent (i.e. don't colour the sound too much) yet dialled in perfectly for toms & snare. hypercardoid, so off axis rejection is superb. They're rugged, well manufactured, compact, & the rim clips with them work very well on triple flange & cast hoops.

Seriously, don't hesitate, & I absolutely stand by my offer to buy them from you if they're not to your taste.

Wow, ok. Sounds like they are good mics!

Would you say these would work good in Non-Rock situations where an open, natural, resonant warm sound is required?

Do you like the PL35's better than SM57's?

I heard some samples of them online just a couple minutes ago actually and they sound somewhat muffled (especially on the snare) compared to say, a SM57. Maybe it was just the recording?

Wow, ok. Sounds like they are good mics!

Would you say these would work good in Non-Rock situations where an open, natural, resonant warm sound is required? YES, IF YOUR DRUMS SOUND GOOD.

Do you like the PL35's better than SM57's? YES, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE BETTER, JUST I PREFER THEM.

I heard some samples of them online just a couple minutes ago actually and they sound somewhat muffled (especially on the snare) compared to say, a SM57. Maybe it was just the recording?
One thing's for sure, that price is just crazy. Wish I could buy them for that here!

Back