Evil Dead the Musical

medeskisoul

Pioneer Member
I have the pleasure of playing in the pit for Evil Dead the Musical. Thought I would share some pics of my set up.

I am using:
C&C Custom Drums
9"x12" rack tom
14"x16" floor tom
16"x24" bass drum
6"x14" snare

18" HHX Evolution Crash
14" Custom HHX prototypes
9" Zil Bel
6" Zil Bel (not mounted - struck and let to vibrate on drums [with hands] for scary effect)
12" Wuhan China
20" Zildjian Sound Lab Prototype

OH YEAH!!! So geeking out over the Cymbal scrape Benny Greb did. It makes super scary noises. Thanks Benny!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 633
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 626
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 615
I had no idea there was a Evil Dead musical.

Your kit looks nice. One thing though. Was the decision to position you rack tom leveled a matter of feel or asthetics. I've sat on a kit with a similar set up and I just could not get used to the larger gap between the tom and the snare.

Why all the tape and moongel? D=

The snare is especially live since it is a 6 ply Re-Ring snare, Thus all the gaffers tape and moongel. Normally I prefer open drums, but the liveliness of the pit area forced me to muffle them a bit in order to make the show sound as good as possible. When the music producer (who determines my salary) comes to you and asks you tone down the snare, you whip out the gaffers tape and moongel.

I had no idea there was a Evil Dead musical.

Your kit looks nice. One thing though. Was the decision to position you rack tom leveled a matter of feel or asthetics. I've sat on a kit with a similar set up and I just could not get used to the larger gap between the tom and the snare.

They did the play in Toronto and New York. The theater I am at is the ONLY midwest theater to get the rights. I think a few "forensics and little theater groups" have done acts from the play, but never the whole thing. I could be wrong though... Also Sam Raimi, even though he signed off the rights, is now suing the musical and it may not be around for long. SO, I am thrilled to be a part of this and of course thankful to the companies who endorse me.

It's a 24' bass drum and no matter of positioning can get the tom in as close as one is used to with a 22" or a 20". I have actually become accustomed to it and like it. Plus I am very short so I prefer to have my toms in a comfortable playing position for my reach. Simply body physics I guess.

The snare is especially live since it is a 6 ply Re-Ring snare, Thus all the gaffers tape and moongel. Normally I prefer open drums, but the liveliness of the pit area forced me to muffle them a bit in order to make the show sound as good as possible. When the music producer (who determines my salary) comes to you and asks you tone down the snare, you whip out the gaffers tape and moongel.

Just looked like a bit of overkill on the snare, which I find is always a shame. But in that situation I'd have done the same of course. :)

Just looked like a bit of overkill on the snare, which I find is always a shame. But in that situation I'd have done the same of course. :)

I totally agree. LOVE the snare and the whole kit sound, but Theater is MUCH different than being on tour, having three sound engineers, two boards, a tailored monitor mix and in ear monitors (this is what I miss the most, I have my own in ears, but the house board/ mix cannot accommodate in ears. Bummer) Regardless, it has been a blast and I LOVE this show. I feel pretty damn lucky to be a part of it all.

CONGRATULATIONS! I like your setup and that's a hell of a gig. I wish I could see that show.

I had no idea just how amazing and funny the show would be. I am one lucky guy for sure. Plus I am a huge fan of the series; so the horror nut in me is going mad with excitement.

p.s. Thank you ALL for your kind compliments and words of encouragement. LOVE Drummerworld!!!

I had no idea just how amazing and funny the show would be. I am one lucky guy for sure. Plus I am a huge fan of the series; so the horror nut in me is going mad with excitement.

p.s. Thank you ALL for your kind compliments and words of encouragement. LOVE Drummerworld!!!

I wish I could see that show, I remember a while back listening through some of the tracks.

"What the F*** was that?"

How'd you score the gig?

The music director came across a couple of albums I recorded for a variety of artists in a variety of styles (from death metal to piano trio). He tracked down my number and gave me a call to talk to me about the scope of the show and how he felt I could bring something different to the theater experience; the score is deceptively difficult and covered a variety of styles. I did not have to audition either simply because "my body of work spoke for itself." to quote the music director.

So.. without babbling on and on, it boiled down to Authenticity, Accuracy, Creativity and the ability to read a full musical score (we ditched the drum music and wrote the drum parts around melodies and the actors' vocal patterns.)

Evil Dead the Musical has been one of the best theater experiences I have had to date. An amazingly talented cast, incredibly supportive staff/ crew and musicians with a true passion for the art of music. Couldn't be happier...

Thank you for your kind words

Back