BD head with patch

Sjogras

Silver Member
I'm ready to change my BD head now, and add a patch as well. My question is, should I let the head stretch for a while and get properly seated before adding the patch? For instance, if I'd stick it onto the head before mounting and tuning it would probably rip right off after playing for a while.

Is there any "standard way" of doing this? Thanks.

I usually put it on after installing the head to line it up with the beater impact point. But I really doubt it would come off if one were to put in on before. Those things are pretty darn sticky. But again to line it up properly the head has to be on the drum. I've never had an issue with a patch coming off under any circumstances.

I don't use the patch anymore but when I did I'd tighten the batter head up a little tighter than my tuning spot and put a few hours of playing on it. Then detune where I want it and spot my beater up on the head and slip the patch right between the head and beater. The strengths these heads have today is incredible so I doubt they even need any playing time at all for break in. Certain drums sound better without the slam patch and others sound good with it. I guess it comes down to the music you play and the appropriate drum sounds to go with it. Doc

I usually stick one on right after tuning both heads. Just line up the beater, peel and stick.
I've had good success with the Aquarian patches (I use the thicker ones). The Falam slam patch is a little smaller in diameter, but that bugger is sticky as well.

Only problem might be going from a double pedal patch, to a single pedal patch or visa versa. Alignments might be off. Great way to slow down wear on the batter head, which is not cheap.

I don't think the patches extends the heads life at all. I've used them without the patch for years and the head looses its sound before the beater hits wears a spot down. I use a Pearl PS Eliminator beater on the hard felt side so maybe the harder plastic knobs might wear it down sooner. Doc

I use the sk1 head and I have dented or broke the head after about 4 to 6 months of playing without a patch, since using the patch I have not ruined any at all. I do change my head about once a year and there is no noticeable damage where the patch is so I have to say that they do extend the life of the head. I have always used the double patch from aquarian as it seems to affect the sound less than some of the others. I install it after tuning the head and clamping the pedal in place but the only reason for this is so I can line it up perfectly with both beaters on my double pedal. The last time I changed my bass drum head I thought I would try the "super thin" double patch version, it didnt seem to change the sound at all and also seems to be protecting the head just as well as the original.

Back