Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson

CKRed97

Definately an amazing drummer. He has an amazingly tight pocket, as well as some pretty sick chops. I had the honor of seeing him with the Roots, and he was amazing. I'm kinda surprised that I couldn't find him on this section, because I definately feel he deserves the recognition... Look into his live stuff with the Roots, and his stuff with The Philadelphia Experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZgH_I8Ar4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBBhQUl99w

check out the new songs on The Roots myspace page they are absolutely amazing...i promise

Last edited:
The man is the man. Plus his afro gets him +100 Karma Points.

I'm a big roots fan, and I think a lot of that has to do with ?uestlove. Also check out the stuff he did with Joshua Redman and utoob the Super-Jam thing he did with John Paul Jones (of LZ fame) and Ben Harper. Kick arse.

I have all the ROOTS albums.

His drumming is by far, one of the most important rythmic statements of the last decade... along with Drum n' Bass... his playing brought a sense of groove and a real organic sense to what previously was basicly trip hop... he was the first guys who had that sensibility in his drumming and his SOUND IS FANTASTIC.

come on... ?uestlove needs more posts in his thread than this!

I'm looking forward to the new album dropping on april 29th; I've heard a few of the songs and they're kick-ass.

Blackthought may be the voice of the Roots, but to me ?uestlove IS the Roots. He's like the go-to guy, that cat that's always doing the interviews. He's on production, he's a DJ and THE drummer, as far as I'm concerned. Much love.

The Seed
In the Music
Guns are Drawn

These songs really got me into his drumming, and there's this one other song that he did with Erika Baydu I think her name is.....YOU GOT ME!! That's it! Wouldn't think it's him on the track would ye?

The Seed
In the Music
Guns are Drawn

These songs really got me into his drumming, and there's this one other song that he did with Erika Baydu I think her name is.....YOU GOT ME!! That's it! Wouldn't think it's him on the track would ye?

Yo, rendezvous, thats the track where he busts the drum n bass cross-stick patterns at the end, phatness!!

Mellow my man
Proceed
Push up Ya Lighter
U N I verse at war
Double Trouble
Act Too (Love of my life)

All GREAT drum tracks and hip-hop records....first 2 roots albums plus their 93 EP (organix) is where they are strongest.

I'm a big roots fan, and I think a lot of that has to do with ?uestlove. Also check out the stuff he did with Joshua Redman and utoob the Super-Jam thing he did with John Paul Jones (of LZ fame) and Ben Harper. Kick arse.

I have the album, Momentum, where he makes an appearance with Joshua and I love it, but I did not know he played with Ben Harper, which is awesome cuz I really like Ben, any idea where I could find it?

Yo, rendezvous, thats the track where he busts the drum n bass cross-stick patterns at the end, phatness!!

Mellow my man
Proceed
Push up Ya Lighter
U N I verse at war
Double Trouble
Act Too (Love of my life)

All GREAT drum tracks and hip-hop records....first 2 roots albums plus their 93 EP (organix) is where they are strongest.

You got that right! I have Phrenology, which is a really great album, but Game Theory is a favourite of mine.

had to search a lil while to find this....

but im here! what a drummer. my favorite drumming on a roots track has to be 'break you off', once you get half way it just develops into another great track and the drumming.... well...... now i know why they thought he was a drum machine! its incredibly tight and complex, but still grooving!

I LOVE his groove on The Seed

Anyone know which cymbals he used on the JayZ Unplugged album?

There are many drummers I love to listen to and learn from, but the only one who's influencing my playing today more than ?uestlove would be Gadd. Otherwise, ?uestlove is IT for me.

And he's IT because he's simultaneously ultra modern and ultra old school -- ultra modern because he approaches the drums like a hip hop producer would their MPC (or laptop or whatever); and ultra old school because his playing absolutely drips with the influence of soul's godfathers.

Actually, skip what I just said. I only like him 'cause of his fro!

Back