which room should i put my drumkit in?

Doomclaw

Right I'm trying to decide where I should put my drumkit - its between the attic and one of the rooms on the ground floor. I'd like to put it in the attic seeing as that has more space serves no use except for music but I'm not sure whether it would be louder to have it in the attic.

Are there any dangers in putting the drumkit in the attic? I'm not talking about the house falling down (well I hope it doesn't!) but having the effect of sending vibrations all the way around the house etc.

Thanks

It may depend on whether you have neighbours. If you do putting it in the attic is going to let everyone hear it. Also is it damp up there in the winter and roasting hot in the summer? If so it may not do the drums a lot of good.

If you had a downstairs room with a concrete floor it would be a good solid base for the drums to sit on to avoid vibration.

It may depend on whether you have neighbours. If you do putting it in the attic is going to let everyone hear it. Also is it damp up there in the winter and roasting hot in the summer? If so it may not do the drums a lot of good.

If you had a downstairs room with a concrete floor it would be a good solid base for the drums to sit on to avoid vibration.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the Forum...Yeah Dude, it can get blazing hot up in that attic and frigid in winter time. I would definately look to use the room in the house.

I live in England and the attic is not really different to any other room - carpeted, bed, central heating, insulated walls etc. so temperature wise its not too bad.

My bigger concern is sending vibrations all the way down the house - would it be noticably louder playing it on the top floor? I live in a detatched house so I don;t have to worry about a next door neighbour complaining but there's still a pavement etc.

Thanks for the advice so far.

i vote living room.

i mean the drumset is the most important part of the house, is it not? haha

Definitely the living room, or maybe the front foyer.

In the drum room.

No but seriously, is your attic part of the environment of the house or is it cold and humid.
Are there roof vents visible? INitially I would be more concerned about the environment up there and how it could affect the drums and you of course, not if it will be too noisy for the rest of the house. Just MO

I have always wished that I could have a kit in every room in my house (including the bathroom! I know where I would sit, ON THE THRONE! Where else!) I have a wife, so I know that this will not happen! I don't know! Pick a room! Any room! Drums will play anywhere! The best place, is a place where no one likes to frequent. That allows you to spend quality time with your kit! Thats what its all about! Quality time with your kit.

If you had a downstairs room with a concrete floor it would be a good solid base for the drums to sit on to avoid vibration.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the Forum...Yeah Dude, it can get blazing hot up in that attic and frigid in winter time. I would definately look to use the room in the house.

i think that it doesnt really matter what room persay, although you have to think about neighbours and other members of family....i try and have a room with carpet......
ive moved from a small carpeted room to an awkward sized wooden floor'd emptyish room...
NOT GOOD ECHOS!!..moving back to the carpeted room in the summer, cant wait to hear my drums

just put it somewhere that ou wont be disturbed, thats why i think the living room is a bad choice!!

hi , my drum set is in the athick and it can be heard from everywhere , inside and outside my house . but it sound really good in recordings

Yea anyone in the rooms below the attic will hear a thumping sound or boom whenever you hit your base drum or floor tom. I would try and put it on the lowest floor in the house or a finished basement so no one is below you.

When I lived at home my drums where in my upstairs bedroom. I played when I was the only one in the house. You could try that if you want to play in the attic.

Back