Head/rim question........

How often do you take your top heads off and clean the debris out from between the rim and head? I find that when I play for 4-6 hours I see noticable wood shavings building up................am I ok by just vaccuming out the crevice or should I be taking the rim off more often for sound quality and performance?

Sorry if this has been covered.

Whenever I put on new heads or retune I do that.
And Actually I have been "glance" hitting my cymbals, and I don't have a problem with wood shavings as much.
Saves money on sticks too.

Last edited:
I don't clean mine out except for when I change heads, which is, at times, often for studio gigs. I don't really notice a lot of wood shavings in an hour or two of drumming, but when I haven't changed the heads in a few months, there definitely is some.

Don't worry about vacuuming it out. It doesn't impact the sound or your rim/head.

Don't worry about vacuuming it out. It doesn't impact the sound or your rim/head.

I was wondering that............thanks caddy. I like to play "four sticks" type of grooves on occasion....which involve alot of rim shots.............that causes the most build up for me.

I'm anal so I clean them out all the time. I can't stand to see wood chips, cat hair or dust in my kit. Instead of vaccuming it out I use a keyboard cleaner that blows air.

Back