Jeff Beck's keyboardist?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Trying to get my head around this dynamic - there's Jeff Beck, Tal Wilkenfeld and Vinnie Colaiuta - the star trio. But there's this subservient keyboardist tucked away at the side - no one seems to talk to him, smile at him or even acknowledge his existence!

He's a live session player - filling things out and colouring the harmonies. No solos. Zero ego strokes (apart from playing anything with those guys).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V79owj81p0o

It seems JB doesn't want a keys player to star in his band, while happy for Tal and Vinnie to strut their stuff.

I'm wondering why. Does he think keys solos are uninteresting? Can't find the right player? Decided enough was enough after Max Middleton and Jan H?

I'm just wondering if they even talk to the keys player off stage or if he has to hang with the roadies :)

I'm just wondering if they even talk to the keys player off stage or if he has to hang with the roadies :)

Sure they hang out. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUu_56cgjFk ) Jason Rebello is a monster, who is very highly regarded by his peers. Sting had to beg him not to run off and teach at university and come on tour with him instead.. I really mean beg... He is a very low key guy, very self effacing even musically, but it doesnt go unnoticed by other great musicians. They have the highest respect for him.

Tony Hymas rings a bell. Did he play on Flash?

Abe, yes, he sounds right at home with top notch players. But I do find the setup a bit weird - normally it's one star and three helpers, and with this band setup I kind of feel sorry for the guy left out lol

The other weird side of it is seeing a keys player tamed - most times keyboardists like to get their little paws on every inch of the music :)

Funny you should start this thread, the bf and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago. I can't remember who the keyboardist is but when we saw Jeff in concert 2 years ago, the keyboard player was very good. You're right, he was tucked off to the side on stage but I seem to remember Jeff acknowledging him quite a bit during the concert. He seemed to have quite a bit of respect for him and there was a solo (or at least a few featured moments). Perhaps the keyboardist himself didn't want to be in the spotlight?

I just looked up info for that 2010 tour and the keyboardist on that tour was Jason Rebello.

Funny you should start this thread, the bf and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago. I can't remember who the keyboardist is but when we saw Jeff in concert 2 years ago, the keyboard player was very good. You're right, he was tucked off to the side on stage but I seem to remember Jeff acknowledging him quite a bit during the concert. He seemed to have quite a bit of respect for him and there was a solo (or at least a few featured moments). Perhaps the keyboardist himself didn't want to be in the spotlight?

Good that he's not entirely a 2nd class citizen, eh? The people shooting the video don't seem to care for him, though - it's mostly the Jeff & Tal show with Vinnie as lead support. Really enjoyable band, though.

On top of my head, he played in There And Back and Guitar Shop, he co-wrote the song The Pump :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfcnIMZq6is

I lost track of JB after Flash - I was more keen on his fusion than his 80s pop. From what I've been hearing I should have stayed in touch.

Funny thing about Becky, he plays all these - to use an Americanism - lameass compositions with about two chord changes and cheesy theme ... and by sheer brilliant execution jam the songs into something compelling.

Good that he's not entirely a 2nd class citizen, eh? The people shooting the video don't seem to care for him, though - it's mostly the Jeff & Tal show with Vinnie as lead support. Really enjoyable though.

have to admit I'm just as guilty of that. Went looking thru my pics from the concert, I have pics of Jeff, Rhonda and Narada but not even one with the keyboard player in the background. And I was 2nd row center so I can't say I couldn't have gotten one if I had wanted.

Attachments

• 03a577bf.jpg
    03a577bf.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 769
  • 5c39b5ee.jpg
    5c39b5ee.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 766
Funny thing about Becky, he plays all these - to use an Americanism - lameass compositions with about two chord changes and cheesy theme ... and by sheer brilliant execution jam the songs into something compelling.

Here's a freeway jam live in Japan during the 80's with an all star cast band, it includes an in the spotlight keyboard solo from Jan Hammer, at least you can't miss this one :))

Everyone's a badass musicians and they certainely having fun at it ;-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0beCiRxddxw

Last edited:
Yes that live at Ronnie Scott's show was good.

Vinnie is superb.

The whole band is amazing. Yes, Pol, the keyboardist is tucked away like a nice secret.

You can add Tony Hymas to the list :)

I was still in my teens hanging out with musician friends and we all used to listen to Jeff Beck and wonder, "Why isn't Tony Hymas one of the most famous keyboardists in the world?" The dude was like a British Jan Hammer.

Speaking of Jan Hammer, the other thing that always baffled us was how Jan Hammer could play fusion-monster caliber drums. To be that good on a second instrument is ridiculous.

Speaking of Jan Hammer, the other thing that always baffled us was how Jan Hammer could play fusion-monster caliber drums. To be that good on a second instrument is ridiculous.

I totally agree, the opening track Star Cycle from Jeff Beck's There And Back album, was written by Hammer, Jan plays keyboards (of course) and the drums on this track. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cs80noDVcc

I'd put that question to our own Gary Husband, right here on these boards.

Like Gary Jan was a third thing as well- a great composer.

Jack Dejohnette is another, isn't he?

For me the high point of Jan's drumming was Blue Wind from Wired. Great move to use him on that track - his raw rocking approach is perfect for it. He's a force.

Funny how Jan the drummer stepped all over Jan the keyboardist in his solo. I hope he gave himself an uppercut afterwards to teach himself a lesson!

Back