Vinnie Colaiuta

Where to start with VC...man...

It's not just that he was in another universe technically, musically, and rhythmically from the beginning of his professional career.

It's not just that he was a 22-year old (just a kid!) versatile virtuoso who could play anything that Frank Zappa threw at him, and then some.

It's not just that he managed to go from playing with Zappa and small-time fusion acts into a studio/session superstar rivaling the likes of Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro (RIP).

It's not just that he is always dynamic, always musical, always funky and groovy even when he's playing the most insane metric modulations and poly-rhythms in the world.

It's not just that he was part Tony Williams, part John Bonham, part Steve Gadd, part Billy Cobham, part Buddy Rich, part Elvin Jones, part Stewart Copeland, and 100 percent Vinnie Colaiuta!

It's not just that he can outplay most of us with his left hand while holding the groove with his right.

It's not just that he comes up with phrases that are out-of-this-galaxy in terms of their ridiculousness, bordering on ludicrous at times, making drummers around the world go, "COME ON!" (in a good way!)

It's not just that he has an appreciation for all styles of music, no matter how simple or complex-if it's good music, he will play it.

And it's not just that he has multiple interpretations of the beat, making him a true chameleon, virtuoso, and unique voice-all at once!

It's all of these things, and more. Don't believe me? Just listen to his work with Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Allan Holdsworth, John Petittuci, Jeff Beck, Sting, Faith Hill, and Karizma, to name just a few.

I don't normally like the concept of "Best Drummer Alive", but if anyone deserves the title, Vinnie Colaiuta almost certainly has the greatest claim. And I know I'm far from alone with that opinion.......

I finally picked up a pair of the new stlcks.

It's alwyas been said that VF produced the sticks for Zildjian, but these sticks are clearly not made on the same machine. The diameter seems to just a little bit bigger alll around. Attention to detail on the butt and taper is better on the Zildjian. VF stick is slightly chippy.

More or less the same stick, but I definetly prefer the old one.

If Zildjian chooses to produce the old model with a different name on it I would prefer that one.

They pretty much took a bit of perfection and made it ever so slightly less perfect.

Remember, even back in the ten summoner's tales era, even though he was with Yamaha, he was still playing Gretsch in the studio, as was most session guys from that era. Porcaro as well. It doesn't matter what he plays. Nowadays most manufacturers are making great stuff.

Does anybody know where to get a copy of the album "Images" by Bill Meyers? It's Vinnie in 1986 . . . and he is on fire. The compositions are also incredible!

I have been unable to track down a copy. The best I have seen is a few of the tracks in a YouTube playlist. I don't normally promote sharing free content, but there is no other way to hear this. It's a MUST for the true Vinnie fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfF...RHdKCDJIyCUufIJJMz&ab_channel=AndreaBaratella

Saw Sting and Paul Simon in Manchester last night and I do believe one of the two drummers on stage was Vinnie. He was smoking and, as far as I could see, was playing a Yamaha kit. I was a fair way back from the stage though so might be wrong.

It might have been a Gretsch shell with Yamaha lugs installed, but I'm not sure.

Hello All,

Just for the enjoyment of it....
This is an excerpt transcription from a YouTube video of a jam in 7/8 that Vinnie did at the Baked Potato L.A. This starts exactly at that point of the jam: https://youtu.be/ed_-L7jgzlA?t=3m8s He's playing in 7/8 and on the cym. bell he uses a 3 feel (like notated a dotted quarter note) over the 7/8 groove. It comes back around every 3 measures.

It's kinda fun and analytical at the same time, once you get it going.... enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Baked Potato groove transcribed by Jacob Kaye..jpg
    Baked Potato groove transcribed by Jacob Kaye..jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 877
Hey guys --

Here is a cool Vinnie lick to check out....it's a 7 note phrase played as 16th note triplets between the ride, bass drum and snare. My description makes it seem like a very technical idea, but it actually flows well and sounds musical.... there is a PDF you can download at the link.

Hope you enjoy it....

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/nasty-drum-lick-77/

drumheads6.jpg

Back