shipping

mickey

comrades,
I'm considering shipping my drums from the east coast to the west coast of the USA, so approx. 3000 miles. I moved from Massachusetts to Washington (state) about 2 years ago. Knowing I wouldn't be able to play acoustic drums in the house I was headed for, I left my 1980's Rogers kit behind. I eventually got myself a Roland TD 9SX, which has exceeded my expectations entirely. It's been great for practicing, not so great for playing with other musicians. I have decent monitors, but even so, something is greatly missing: vibration. wood. worn out heads. complaining neighbors. etc. etc.

Assuming money isn't an issue (these drums weigh a lot and would be costly to ship), does anyone have experience shipping drums across a country? These drums are about 30 years old, which concerns me a little, seeing as they're already on the fragile side. Still, they are relatively sturdy and the hardware is in good shape. I'm thinking if I can get them out there, I'll be able to bring real drums to gigs and practice sessions, and save my V-Drums for obsessive practicing.

thanks y'all

I would advise using the UPS Store. They will help the person that is shipping them for you pack and ship them properly.
Take the heads off and put drums inside of drums with protective bubble wrap.
Put heads and hoops in separate box. Hardware in separate box also.

Funny you should mention it. In about four months, I am moving from Washington State to the East Coast, I would have carted them for you for free if you were going the right direction. I am over here in Iraq and had a Roland TD 9 for much of the year, I shipped the entire set up home in two separate crates along with a bunch of other stuff for 150 bucks. They arrived safe and sound.

One suggestion though, talk to a moving company, they have freight going back and forth all the time and may be able to pack and ship your kit with insurance.

John

Drums are shipped across country all the time.

After all, that's how they get to the store. Most drums are shipped to the retail store via UPS.

Just get some good cardboard boxes and some bubble wrap. While we tend to obsess over taking care of drums, they are not quite fine china, and take shipping pretty well.

If you really want to take an extra step, box each drum, and then put each box inside a bigger box with a layer of shipping peanuts in-between.

I've shipped my drums from New York to Washington (state) too. Plenty of bubble wrap, some clothes and make sure the box is sturdy and you're set. It costs me about $230 to ship, however, that was *everything* I owned, not just drums.

Back