DW Collectors Maple vs Jazz Cherry/Gum: Anyone Try Both Yet?

Zeus Mutation

HI everyone!

Trying this question out in general discussion because it's so subjective.

I'm having a difficult time deciding between a DW Collectors pure maple vs DW Jazz cherry. Wondering if anyone has played both?

The maple is a staple and I feel partial to the sound, yet that's all I've had...

Any experience, I've watched a ton of youtube trying to get sound examples, but nothing has addressed a straight comparison or satisfied my hyper-analytical behavior, lol.

Thank you

I have owned a DW Collectors and a DW Jazz series (Maple/Gum) kit and I far preferred the sound of the DW Jazz series. Both are great kits, I just found that I personally think the DW Jazz series has a wider tuning range where they sound great. The DW Collectors favour lower tuning and I found they choked pretty easily tuned higher than that, whereas the DW Jazz could be tuned low or high and had no choking issues.

My personal favourite drum line that DW makes is the maple/ mahogany series . The mahogany inner ply does such great things to the sound of the maple shells.
Increased warmth , fatness and depth.

I'm torn between the cherry/gum and maple/gum right now. I know the finish and sizes I want but not sure between the two shells.

Thank you RickP, I'm gonna give the Jazz Cherry a try... I do like what I'm hearing from the mahogany/maple as well...

mkelly - It's hard to choose... and it's not like there inexpensive, lol.

Steady Freddy, unfortunately, I refuse to use Facebook. Appreciate the direction though.

Back