Wrist tendon injury, any hope?

fuzionman79

Eight years ago i had a bike accident which damaged the tendons in my wrist. Since then I have had a clicking in my left wrist that interrupts the smooth motion that a wrist would normally have. I used to play the drums, but the accident pretty much ended that. I still have a desire to play, but I feel the injury is the only thing in the way. I've been to a couple of doctors. The first gave me a splint and told me that I should give it a few weeks to heal. Nothing happened. I saw a second doctor and he told me that it was hopeless to regain normal function of the wrist ever again. The only alternative would be wrist surgery which would give me even more limited motion in the wrist. What should I do? Has anyone been in a similar circumstance? Were they able to eventually solve their problem? I love drumming and its really frustrating to know that this could be the only thing stopping me. Thanks.

Eight years ago i had a bike accident which damaged the tendons in my wrist. Since then I have had a clicking in my left wrist that interrupts the smooth motion that a wrist would normally have. I used to play the drums, but the accident pretty much ended that. I still have a desire to play, but I feel the injury is the only thing in the way. I've been to a couple of doctors. The first gave me a splint and told me that I should give it a few weeks to heal. Nothing happened. I saw a second doctor and he told me that it was hopeless to regain normal function of the wrist ever again. The only alternative would be wrist surgery which would give me even more limited motion in the wrist. What should I do? Has anyone been in a similar circumstance? Were they able to eventually solve their problem? I love drumming and its really frustrating to know that this could be the only thing stopping me. Thanks.

Oh man, I'm very sorry to hear that. I wonder if you haven't developed scar tissue on the tendons which is inhibiting your mobility? It certainly sounds that way but I'm no doctor, so you'd want to see a sports doc and therapist.

When I got tendonitis last year I did a therapy called "ASTYM" which really just amounts to using a massage tool to "scrape" your arms (after applying lotion or cocoa butter). The process breaks down the scar tissue on tendons and light-stretching allows them to heal and the fibers will then grow back into place correctly.

Maybe this would help you?

Dude, I am totally sorry to hear of this...that truly would be frustrating to say the least! I would also check into an acupuntcure person...I know for me I have lived with nerve damage in both my feet and have huge doses of pain every day now for 16 years and the only place that I have ever found minimal relief (albeit is brief, and without the use of drugs) has been through acupuncture. I was told had I not had surgery done prior to see him he may have been able to turn the whole problem around, but now since the "Doctors" have gone in there and made things worse (and they did!) he could only manage the problem and manage he does! It is so nice to have those brief reprieves from the pain...AS Zam says "I am no Dr" either, but maybe it may help. GOOD luck with that, but try everything prior to surgery because once you get the surgery there is NO turning back it may or may not work and in my case it made my pain far more painful.

Hang in there!!!

First question I have is how old are you? And when was the last time you saw a doctor?
There have been tons of advances in surgeries over the past 5 years and wrist surgery may just help you out. Other than those two questions not much else to say. good luck.

First question I have is how old are you? And when was the last time you saw a doctor?
There have been tons of advances in surgeries over the past 5 years and wrist surgery may just help you out. Other than those two questions not much else to say. good luck.

yeah now a days they can do almost anything so idk if they could do anything but more likely than not

Look to a third opinion. And a fourth. Western medicine, eastern medicine. Acupressure, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. Part of growing old is....unfortunately....growing old. Complicate that with accidents (ages the body faster). Yeah, I busted my pelvis in 3 places, back in 83. And both the bones in my right calf. Got 2 bad hips, 2 bad knees, and 1 really bad ankle now. And I'm still too stupid to give up playing the drums. Richard John Cyril, most people know him as "Rick" Allen, only has 1 arm. Explore all options....or not. As my Marine Corps buddy used to say. "Pain is good! More pain is better". Best of luck.

Last edited:
gruntersdad, i'm 29. i saw a doctor when i first had the accident. he could detect nothing. i let it go for some years. i saw a doctor again last year, she gave me a splint to wear. relief was temporary, but the problem resurfaced after taking off the splint. went to a doctor this year and he told that because i have long limbs (and long tendons for that matter) that they would not go back to the way they were. i am seriously considering acupuncture. to everyone else, thanks for the advice!

Back