To port or not to port?

I've been tasked with buying new heads for the bass drum at my church. It's an older 22" Yamaha, Recording Custom or Stage Custom (I don't remember offhand which), for which I'm planning to get an Evans EQ3 batter head. When it comes to buying a resonant head, I can't decide whether or not to get a ported head. I personally prefer the sound of intact (i.e. unported) reso heads, but I know a lot of sound guys like the port for ease of miking.

Any suggestions, especially from other church drummers, would be greatly appreciated!

In my opinion, the sound is much more important than the convenience of the sound person. Let them learn how to mic an unported bass drum, it will help them in their future endeavors.

Dennis

How to mic a bass drum without a port.​

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 145
In my opinion, the sound is much more important than the convenience of the sound person. Let them learn how to mic an unported bass drum, it will help them in their future endeavors.

Dennis

+1+1
FInally somebody turns it on the soundman to do his job.

I prefer a ported head. I sometimes like to bury the beater and I have found it will bounce if the head is unported.

Back